Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling With Non PreCheck Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling With Non PreCheck Companions/Family Members

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
So the kids and I had precheck last night, wife did not. We all went in the precheck line and the doc checker wrote a big CT on my wife's BP indicating she is a "co-traveller", which basically just required that she present her BP as she went through the wtmd and get her hands and shoes swabbed. Otherwise, it was the usual precheck experience.

I would suggest bringing your non-precheck traveling companions with you into the precheck line, as they now seem to have a process to account for them.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Technical glitch, sure, but scary? IMO, practically EVERYONE should be eligible for precheck as a default.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by alapah
If you've gotten GE recently, your GE number (PassID) is what you put in as your trusted traveler (aka "known traveler") number in your airline profile. Here's a link to additional info: http://www.globalentry.gov/tsa.html
Yes, I'm well aware of this.

However, the other poster indicated that they had a trusted traveler number for only PreCheck, and they didn't indicate Global Entry. I had never heard of that.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
So the kids and I had precheck last night, wife did not. We all went in the precheck line and the doc checker wrote a big CT on my wife's BP indicating she is a "co-traveller", which basically just required that she present her BP as she went through the wtmd and get her hands and shoes swabbed. Otherwise, it was the usual precheck experience.

I would suggest bringing your non-precheck traveling companions with you into the precheck line, as they now seem to have a process to account for them.
And what happens when the non-PreCheck traveling companion is a haraSSSSment selectee? My observations of such situations is that the process to account for non-PC adult companion is still not defined firmly enough by a process to account for them consistently. For non-haraSSSSment selectees who are non-PC adult companions, yes, there is a process that may be used to account for them.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by aztimm
Yes, I'm well aware of this.

However, the other poster indicated that they had a trusted traveler number for only PreCheck, and they didn't indicate Global Entry. I had never heard of that.
He probably got his TT# through TSA's $85 Precheck program.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, Starwood Gold, JetBlue, Marriott Silver, Hilton Honors
TSA Pre-Check for Family

Booked a family trip with three different confirmation numbers (reservations) LGA-MCO. I didn't have enough points at time of first booking for all.

1. Wife, daughter 13, son 5... booked all on points.
2. Son 16 booked on points
3. Myself using $200 voucher and rest paid with $.

I linked the reservations.

I just checked us all in and Me, my wife and my 5 year old are TSA pre check. My 13 year old and 16 year old are not. Frankly, I wasn't expecting any of them to get pre-check. Why some and not the others. What's the rule for families?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Children 12 and under get Pre-Check.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:16 am

But my wife is an adult and she got it. No status, flies once per year.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Children 12 and under get Pre-Check.
I noticed that at ORD this weekend. Lots of families with little kids, some in strollers, getting Pre-Check. The Pre-Check line was slower than the standard line. TSO called for a bag check on a stroller, then left the stroller and the family bags on the conveyor for 7 or 8 minutes waiting for someone to come do a bag check. That blocked the conveyor, they stopped it and no one got to move through the system until that happened.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
But my wife is an adult and she got it. No status, flies once per year.
Can't explain your wife getting it, but that's why your one child did and not the other two. Often, the adult with the qualifying child gets it, or your wife may have randomly gotten it, or your wife may have something in her profile which causes TSA to think she isn't a threat. We'll likely never know for sure. As for your five year old, though, it's a given.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:31 am

I can't bring 13 and 16 year old through pre-check with us, can I? It doesn't make sense they would have a reservation that gives one adult, one 5 year old pre check and not the another 13 year old minor. What parent would let a 13 year olf go through regular security by herself?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:34 am

Unless the two older children have PC on their BPs, they are not eligible. You would have to go with them through the regular line. FWIW, I have allowed a 14 and 17 year old to go through the regular line on their own. Heck, the 17 YO flies on her own, just being dropped at the door of the airport.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:41 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
I can't bring 13 and 16 year old through pre-check with us, can I? It doesn't make sense they would have a reservation that gives one adult, one 5 year old pre check and not the another 13 year old minor. What parent would let a 13 year olf go through regular security by herself?
See, this is what happens when you don't bother to just get the entire family Global Entry.

(yes, this is meant as a joke, though, my entire family does have GE)
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I noticed that at ORD this weekend. Lots of families with little kids, some in strollers, getting Pre-Check. The Pre-Check line was slower than the standard line. TSO called for a bag check on a stroller, then left the stroller and the family bags on the conveyor for 7 or 8 minutes waiting for someone to come do a bag check. That blocked the conveyor, they stopped it and no one got to move through the system until that happened.
I've noticed this as well recently. PreCheck is now packed with kids and the elderly. Just a few days ago, I saw an elderly woman who looked really lost entering security, and I asked to see her boarding pass. Sure enough--PreCheck. I guided her to the line, and she told me she had no idea what PreCheck meant.

I wonder what the government cutoff age is to be considered "elderly" for PreCheck purposes.

I recently got to go through PreCheck with my daughter, while my wife was accused of having explosives residue on her hands and whisked away to a private room with a screaming baby in hand. I'm glad the TSA has learned to profile people carrying babies as a risk.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:08 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by JW6130
I'm glad the TSA has learned to profile people carrying babies as a risk.
While I highly doubt the TSA "profiled" your wife; it is not unheard of for pregnant females (or females with babies/children) to be part of a terrorist plot.

(and, of course, I have no intention of meaning that your wife fits this profile)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.