Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling With Non PreCheck Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Any advantage whatsoever or do I have to just wait in the regular line? What if I am just traveling with a young child -- can we do pre-check together?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: Delta, United
When traveling with those who are not PreCheck I go through PreCheck and wait for them on the other side. If with a child and the only adult, probably best to accompany the child through the regular line. So in other words PreCheck is only for those cleared to use it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
When traveling with those who are not PreCheck I go through PreCheck and wait for them on the other side. If with a child and the only adult, probably best to accompany the child through the regular line. So in other words PreCheck is only for those cleared to use it.
Actually..that's not correct for children under 12:

Q. Are travel companions eligible for TSA Pre✓™ as well?

A. Passengers that do not meet the necessary requirements are not eligible to participate at this time; however, passengers 12 and younger are eligible for TSA Pre✓™ expedited screening benefits as part of our modified screening procedures for this age group.

You can't take children through Global Entry unless they're approved..but there is an exemption for Precheck.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Thanks for the correction ... that should be helpful for some.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The current process seems to be that children under 12 years of age can now use TSA PreCheck if the accompanying adult has TSA PreCheck.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 7:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
TSA Pre-check member traveling with family members that aren't

Not seems to be. It is. Under 12 can go to PreCheck with an adult cleared for PreCheck.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
Not seems to be. It is. Under 12 can go to PreCheck with an adult cleared for PreCheck.
It seems to be, as it is now built into policy. As with many things TSA, consistency of outcomes may be somewhat lacking in practice.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:28 pm
Original Member

TSA Pre-check member traveling with family members that aren't

Worked fine at MIA and JFK. Spouse also PreCheck qualified. Our kids were allowed in PreCheck.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It seems to be, as it is now built into policy. As with many things TSA, consistency of outcomes may be somewhat lacking in practice.
Execution might not adhere to the stated policy, but the policy/process IS that children 12 and under (and not just under 12) can accompany their parent(s) through the precheck line.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Execution might not adhere to the stated policy, but the policy/process IS that children 12 and under (and not just under 12) can accompany their parent(s) through the precheck line.
Notably, kids 12 and under are screened under the similar standards as Pre-Check passengers (WTMD, shoes on) regardless of parents' status.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...eling-children
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I have known what the policy is for quite some time -- well before I even saw this thread -- and I also know that the practice has been and continues to be inconsistent .... including even at screening checkpoints within walking distance of TSA HQ.

Originally Posted by drewguy
Notably, kids 12 and under are screened under the similar standards as Pre-Check passengers (WTMD, shoes on) regardless of parents' status.
In policy and practice, that isn't exactly the case. Laptop and liquid treatment is still different; and which line the young children can use varies.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 16, 2013 at 4:45 pm
Old Oct 17, 2013, 10:33 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have known what the policy is for quite some time -- well before I even saw this thread -- and I also know that the practice has been and continues to be inconsistent .... including even at screening checkpoints within walking distance of TSA HQ.

When you put it in that context, inconsistency exist for any large organization.

There are threads that describe:
  • Some document checkers don't accept GE/NEXUS/SENTRI for identification.
  • Some lines put you thru nude-o-scope while others go thru metal detectors.
  • Airline check-in agents insisting on visa when transiting PVG on separate ticket within 72 hours.
  • AA agent insisting CX, AB, <fill in the blank> is not a OW carrier.
  • etc
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum
Traveling With Non PreCheck Friends / Family

Hi,
I'm traveling on a USAir flight, using AA frequent flyer numbers. I went to check in myself and two others for our flight tomorrow AM. Everything was fine, until I created the boarding passes. I have TSA pre-check...it did not print on my boarding pass but printed on the boarding pass of another traveler who does not have pre-check. I logged back in to verify FF numbers were correct on the USAir site and they are. I can't get through to the 800 - it says they are getting too many calls. Any suggestions on what to do? That could be a scary technical glitch giving pre-check to someone who doesn't qualify.

Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I am not sure why you think anything is wrong?

I only get pre-check about 75% of the time because it is not guaranteed.

TSA is randomly giving pre-check to others at various stations as a test. My guess is this other person got randomly selected for it. Don't think there is any "glitch" in your reservation.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum
I actually have trusted traveler. I didn't think it was randomly selected as i've received it. Flight just got cancelled anyway! Please code thread...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.