Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Does GE allow me to use the Nexus lines at YYC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum/OW Sapphire, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold

I've actually never used my Global Entry to go to/from Canada before but it seems that Nexus & GE work together but are separate programs, correct? Can I use the Nexus lines at YYC if I have GE? And I don't need to bring that card since it's only for land crossings. Should I bring it anyway just in case?

Funny how I know more about flying into countries that require crossing the ocean than the one right above me.

I'm just wondering how much time to allow for Canadian customs so I can schedule a PU accordingly on the Banff Airporter.

Thank you!!

Last edited by eyeNina; Aug 30, 2015 at 1:32 pm
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
You will not be able to use Nexus when entering Canada.

You will be able to use the GE kiosks when departing.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ls17031
You will not be able to use Nexus when entering Canada.

You will be able to use the GE kiosks when departing.
OK. Thanks for clarifying. It's was little confusing since Nexus users get GE from what I was reading but I guess GE does not get Nexus. Kind of a bummer.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by eyeNina
OK. Thanks for clarifying. It's was little confusing since Nexus users get GE from what I was reading but I guess GE does not get Nexus. Kind of a bummer.
Nexus gets GE because they are vetted and interviewed by both the US and Canadian authorities and both fingerprints (GE) and iris scan (Nexus) are taken (if you get the iris scan done at a facility equipped to do so). GE membership only involves vetting and interview by the US side which is why it is not accepted for trusted traveller entry into Canada. There has been no vetting and therefore no acceptance as a TT from the Canadian side.

Also, the machines at Canadian entry points are Nexus machines, requiring that the Nexus card be inserted (not a passport) and the iris scan, which GE members have not had. On departure from pre-clearance Canadian airports, the machines are GE, so a passport (not the card) is inserted and fingerprints are used and you are entering the US, which is by whom you have been cleared as a TT.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Nexus gets GE because they are vetted and interviewed by both the US and Canadian authorities and both fingerprints (GE) and iris scan (Nexus) are taken (if you get the iris scan done at a facility equipped to do so). GE membership only involves vetting and interview by the US side which is why it is not accepted for trusted traveller entry into Canada. There has been no vetting and therefore no acceptance as a TT from the Canadian side.

Also, the machines at Canadian entry points are Nexus machines, requiring that the Nexus card be inserted (not a passport) and the iris scan, which GE members have not had. On departure from pre-clearance Canadian airports, the machines are GE, so a passport (not the card) is inserted and fingerprints are used and you are entering the US, which is by whom you have been cleared as a TT.
That makes sense then. I think I will add it via the GOES site and do the iris scan when I arrive in Calgary. I have a friend moving to Toronto so it will come in handy when I go visit more often!

Thanks again for the helpful information.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
That makes sense then. I think I will add it via the GOES site and do the iris scan when I arrive in Calgary. I have a friend moving to Toronto so it will come in handy when I go visit more often!

I don't believe you can just 'add' Nexus to your GE and that's it. You do add it in Goes but your eligibility and acceptance must be approved by Canadian CBSA officials and you must interview at a Nexus location with both a US CBP officer and a Canadian CBSA officer. If the location you interview at does the iris scan, it will be done at the interview. If not, then you can go to a Nexus location later for the scan. If that's what you meant by adding it, then sorry for the duplication.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:39 am
Original Poster

I don't believe you can just 'add' Nexus to your GE and that's it. You do add it in Goes but your eligibility and acceptance must be approved by Canadian CBSA officials and you must interview at a Nexus location with both a US CBP officer and a Canadian CBSA officer. If the location you interview at does the iris scan, it will be done at the interview. If not, then you can go to a Nexus location later for the scan. If that's what you meant by adding it, then sorry for the duplication.
That is what I mean by add it. I submitted the application via GOES. Once approved, I'll schedule the interview and biometric at Calgary where I'll be traveling to/from next month. I've checked the sites that do the iris scan and Calgary is definitely one.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:24 pm

That is what I mean by add it. I submitted the application via GOES. Once approved, I'll schedule the interview and biometric at Calgary where I'll be traveling to/from next month. I've checked the sites that do the iris scan and Calgary is definitely one.
I thought maybe that's what you meant but wanted to be sure. Good luck!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE

Of course, the old NEXUS machines didn't require inserting the card and the US used to have their own NEXUS machines, though all of that has changed. The NEXUS machines are even worse for reliability than the originals, which is hilarious.

Just don't completely rely on your NEXUS application being approved by then and their being an open interview. Both can take some time and patience.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N1120A
Just don't completely rely on your NEXUS application being approved by then and their being an open interview. Both can take some time and patience.
It's fine. If not this upcoming trip to Calgary in a couple weeks, then I'll do it in Toronto when I go in Oct. I'm in NYC so even if it's later, my friend is moving to Toronto so it's a pretty easy trip north that I hope to make more often (which is partly why I want to get it.) Worst case - I'll do it in Dec when I go to Seattle for the holidays. Hopefully it won't take *that* long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.