Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
How do I add NEXUS to my existing Global Entry membership?
  • On the TTP home page, select "Manage My Membership"
  • Then click on the "Add Trusted Traveler Program." Make any changes necessary
  • On the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List page, select the checkbox next to the NEXUS option
  • On the next page you will see the NEXUS logo. You will need to provide additional information and answer questions; (some of these questions are very similar)
  • Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee
  • Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency (some with GE received NEXUS card without interview)
  • An iris scan is needed; contact lenses must be removed to do the initial scan. Scan does not have to be done at the same time as the interview
Print Wikipost

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Originally Posted by TWA884
To the best of my understanding, @BMGRAHAM's application is still pending conditional approval.
That is correct. Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I'm a UK citizen and resident who's soon to become a Canadian PR. I have GE.

Canada mandates that there's a three-year residency requirement for NEXUS, but the website states that 'certain permanent residents' are exempt from this, without actually stating what the exemptions are.

Does already having GE help with a NEXUS application in this situation?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
They replied to my e-mail and said that the process can't be expedited. I suspect it was an automated reply. However what was interesting was that it said that the Global Entry benefits can be used up to six months after expiry when renewing GE. I wrote back to ask if this also applies when GE is replaced with NEXUS and will post the reply here.

Last edited by BMGRAHAM; Sep 6, 2017 at 8:26 pm Reason: Typo
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Skatering
I'm a UK citizen and resident who's soon to become a Canadian PR. I have GE.

Canada mandates that there's a three-year residency requirement for NEXUS, but the website states that 'certain permanent residents' are exempt from this, without actually stating what the exemptions are.

Does already having GE help with a NEXUS application in this situation?
You still have to be vetted from scratch. Having GE perhaps saves you from having to go to an interview especially if there is a interview backlog. But then you will not be able to use NEXUS flying into Canada until you submit an iris scan. GE does not address NEXUS residency requirements.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by BMGRAHAM
They replied to my e-mail and said that the process can't be expedited. I suspect it was an automated reply. However what was interesting was that it said that the Global Entry benefits can be used up to six months after expiry when renewing GE. I wrote back to ask if this also applies when GE is replaced with NEXUS and will post the reply here.
Interesting. I don't know whether it's coincidence after having just sent my e-mail to them but I just got approved for NEXUS, without the need for an interview (as @seawolf suggested might happen). Expiry is 5 years from when the original GE was going to expire.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Member

Interesting. I don't know whether it's coincidence after having just sent my e-mail to them but I just got approved for NEXUS, without the need for an interview (as @seawolf suggested might happen). Expiry is 5 years from when the original GE was going to expire.
When did you apply for NEXUS?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
When did you apply for NEXUS?
Just over a month ago, it seemed longer.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:55 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
...I just got approved for NEXUS, without the need for an interview (as @seawolf suggested might happen).
^

There are several reports upthread of Global Entry members applying for NEXUS and being approved without the need for an interview.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:42 am

^

There are several reports upthread of Global Entry members applying for NEXUS and being approved without the need for an interview.
Makes it a lot easier since it would have required a trip. Still have to get iris scanned though for Canada, although I thought they scanned my eyes for GE.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:54 am
Original Member

CBP didn't not scan iris for GE. Don't think they even have the equipment to begin with.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:17 am

I'm already have GE and trying to get NEXUS.
I applied for NEXUS on 4/25/17 and it's STILL Pending Review!
I'm traveling to TOR/Pearson in OCT and was hoping to get the Iris Scan while there.
Any idea why it's taking so long?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by nin7474
I'm already have GE and trying to get NEXUS.
I applied for NEXUS on 4/25/17 and it's STILL Pending Review!
I'm traveling to TOR/Pearson in OCT and was hoping to get the Iris Scan while there.
Any idea why it's taking so long?
Welcome to FT. You should contact NEXUS and find out. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html Scroll to the bottom for contact information.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:16 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'm posting this from the YYZ Transborder MLL; getting my iris scanned was super-easy. I walked into the enrollment center where I found two sign-in sheets; one was for people with appointments and the other for walk-ins. I waisted about five minutes to get my iris scanned (it actually took longer to get a good scan) and I was out the door.

Thanks to all for their help!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I'm posting this from the YYZ Transborder MLL; getting my iris scanned was super-easy. I walked into the enrollment center where I found two sign-in sheets; one was for people with appointments and the other for walk-ins. I waisted about five minutes to get my iris scanned (it actually took longer to get a good scan) and I was out the door.

Thanks to all for their help!
That's good to know.^
I got a reply back of just saying that NEXUS takes 3-5 months. I just hit the 5 month mark TODAY and still PENDING REVIEW!
Applied on 4/25/17 and a GE member already.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by wildcard442
Hello,

Does anyone know how I can apply for NEXUS online if I already have Global Entry? I don't see a link to apply for NEXUS anywhere.

My Global Entry application is conditionally approved but still waiting for interview.

Do I need to wait for my Global Entry application to be finalized first?

Thanks!
It would appear that it is not possible to apply for NEXUS while having a pending application for Global Entry.

You have two options, either go through with your Global Entry enrollment interview and after you receive final - not conditional - approval, apply for NEXUS, or cancel your Global Entry application and then apply for NEXUS.
Yes, you are correct. You cannot apply for NEXUS while Global Entry is pending. Once I completed my interview and my status updated to approved, I was able to apply for NEXUS. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.