Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
How do I add NEXUS to my existing Global Entry membership?
  • On the TTP home page, select "Manage My Membership"
  • Then click on the "Add Trusted Traveler Program." Make any changes necessary
  • On the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List page, select the checkbox next to the NEXUS option
  • On the next page you will see the NEXUS logo. You will need to provide additional information and answer questions; (some of these questions are very similar)
  • Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee
  • Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency (some with GE received NEXUS card without interview)
  • An iris scan is needed; contact lenses must be removed to do the initial scan. Scan does not have to be done at the same time as the interview
Print Wikipost

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:20 am

Just in case anyone runs into a similar issue, I thought I would share.

My job recently changed such that I expect to be traveling to Montréal quite a bit going forward, and so I thought it might be a good idea to upgrade from Global Entry to NEXUS.

I had a heckuva time using the new TTP site. While I was able to create a login.gov account, I was never able to link up my prior GOES profile on either of my personal computers using any of Chrome, Edge, or MSIE, and regardless of working in regular or incognito mode.

A few minutes ago, I realized I hadn't tried my work laptop (and its ancient, corporate-approved old version of MSIE). Worked like a charm.

I have no clue exactly what it was about my machines that interferes with the site (after linking up my GOES profile on my work machine, I can now get a "My Dashboard" link on TTP on my personal machines...but it's not functional). But perhaps this experience will be useful for others who might be running into a similar issue.

That being said, I am left with a question perhaps others here can answer:

In a bit of frustration, I ended up mailing in my NEXUS application to Niagara Falls. I assume that I don't want to put in an online application (the paperwork almost certainly hasn't been processed). But I do wonder: once the paperwork has been processed, will it just automagically show up in TTP?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA platinum, HA platinum, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG
Apply for Nexus instead of renewing Global entry

Thanks mod for moving my post. Followed the wiki but the "Add A Trusted Traveler program" box is grayed out unlike the next two options (that don't apply to me). Should I be using another form/doing something else? My Global Entry expires in August 2018.

Last edited by stravels; Jan 17, 2018 at 8:26 pm Reason: revision, typo
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:05 am

Question Potential GE-to-NEXUS conversion and picture update for a minor

I am sorry if that has already been discussed here, but the brief search didn't render any results.
My son's Global Entry is up for renewal later this year and I am tempted to switch it to Nexus as I did with mine before (plus it is $0 for a child which is an extra plus), but not 100% decided yet.

That said, I have 2 questions:
1) Does this transition process (Global Entry -> NEXUS) for a US citizen always require an interview? Not a biggie, we live ~4hrs from Niagara Falls, so might make a good weekend trip, but wondered anyway.
2) If there is no interview, I'm curious how do you go with a picture update on a TTP card? I tried tapping on "Replace Card" button in my TTP screen and it looks like the only reasons listed there are lost card, damaged card or a name change. Not the biggest issue for most grown-ups, I think, but being 10 now he doesn't really look a lot like he looked at 5. Is there any process of "updating" a picture? Should we just walk-in to any enrollment office when we have a chance and ask them to re-take a picture?

Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by ikko1
I am sorry if that has already been discussed here, but the brief search didn't render any results.
My son's Global Entry is up for renewal later this year and I am tempted to switch it to Nexus as I did with mine before (plus it is $0 for a child which is an extra plus), but not 100% decided yet.

That said, I have 2 questions:
1) Does this transition process (Global Entry -> NEXUS) for a US citizen always require an interview? Not a biggie, we live ~4hrs from Niagara Falls, so might make a good weekend trip, but wondered anyway.
Usually an interview is required. Some reported interview was not required due to back log. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28668468-post41.html

2) If there is no interview, I'm curious how do you go with a picture update on a TTP card? I tried tapping on "Replace Card" button in my TTP screen and it looks like the only reasons listed there are lost card, damaged card or a name change. Not the biggest issue for most grown-ups, I think, but being 10 now he doesn't really look a lot like he looked at 5. Is there any process of "updating" a picture? Should we just walk-in to any enrollment office when we have a chance and ask them to re-take a picture?

Thanks!
No idea. Maybe they can update your son's picture when he gets his iris scan.

Please come back and let us know your result to benefit others in a similar situation.
ikko1 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Usually an interview is required. Some reported interview was not required due to back log. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28668468-post41.html
(...)Maybe they can update your son's picture when he gets his iris scan.
Please come back and let us know your result to benefit others in a similar situation.
Thanks, I will.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I've had GE for 5 years (thank you to United's original credit program) and it expires this summer. As I do regularly travel to Canada, I planned to upgrade to NEXUS. I logged into the CBP website, which will let me renew my GE, but the option to add NEXUS and other trusted programs is grey'ed out. Anybody have any ideas?

Given the current NEXUS processing times, and my GE expiring in 3 months (July), is there any sense in just renewing GE first to ensure uninterrupted access, and then adding Nexus later? I doubt I'll be going to Canada often between now and then.
BlueMango likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:30 pm

Okay, update on our "GE to NEXUS" process.
My GE expired in February, my wife's and my son's GE are to expire in 3 months. We applied for NEXUS in February with a few days/a week in between the applications (didn't have time to do all at once).
~40 days after my application I got my Approved notice and then a week later got my NEXUS card - no interview!
Within a similar timeframe my son and my wife got their "Conditional Approval" notifications and we scheduled their interviews for later this month.
I have no clue what led to my experience of getting a NEXUS card without an interview - the only difference between me and my wife was that by the time of approval, my GE was technically already expired, so maybe they wanted to expedite this so that I could use my benefits with as little interruption as possible?! Don't know if that mattered at all or not, but I used my GE extensively for 2 or 3 years having 1-2 trips a month on average.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by noah
I've had GE for 5 years (thank you to United's original credit program) and it expires this summer. As I do regularly travel to Canada, I planned to upgrade to NEXUS. I logged into the CBP website, which will let me renew my GE, but the option to add NEXUS and other trusted programs is grey'ed out. Anybody have any ideas?

Given the current NEXUS processing times, and my GE expiring in 3 months (July), is there any sense in just renewing GE first to ensure uninterrupted access, and then adding Nexus later? I doubt I'll be going to Canada often between now and then.
Here is my post from last year on my experience going from GE to Nexus: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28751807-post56.html

Applied for Nexus: July-21-2017
Approved for Nexus: August-13-2017
Iris Scan Completed at YUL: August-29-2017

An interview was not required as I already had GE. I didn't need an appointment either - just walked it and did the iris scan same-day.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: Southwest
Current GE member unable to add Nexus.

My Global Entry membership is eligible for renewal with expiration in just under a year from now. I decided that I wanted to go and get Nexus. So I logged into the new CBP trusted traveler program (TTP) website, which replaced the GOES website. To my surprise, the "add a trusted traveler program" button was grayed out on my account.

Update:
I discovered how you get past this issue and on to a Nexus application. Hit the "renew membership" button, which you may presume applies only to your existing Global Entry account. It takes you to a page where you may choose between renewing the existing Global Entry membership or applying for the Nexus or Sentri programs.

Last edited by sunpass; Apr 29, 2018 at 4:42 pm
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: Southwest
Originally Posted by noah

When logged into TTP for your Global Entry account, just hit the “Renew Now” button. This will take you to a page where you can choose between renewing your existing Global Entry or applying for Nexus or SENTRI. Worked for me.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If I have GE and I'm looking to "upgrade" to NEXUS:
  1. Do I need an interview in the US or only Canada?
  2. Will I likely also have a long wait for NEXUS interview?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by joshwex90
If I have GE and I'm looking to "upgrade" to NEXUS:
1. Do I need an interview in the US or only Canada?
In Canada or at a Canadian POE (US side)

Originally Posted by joshwex90
2. Will I likely also have a long wait for NEXUS interview?
Yes

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 12, 2018 at 7:51 pm Reason: Fix formatting
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by greglvnv
In Canada or at a Canadian POE (US side)
There's an appointment at YUL the day I land there. Can I schedule it for it then - how long do they generally take?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
They take anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:09 pm

OK so I'm one of those people that did not do enough research before applying for GE - just got GE and now realize I should have probably got Nexus as I typically travel to Canada 2 - 3 times a year.

If I were to apply for Nexus sometime in the near future and the GE "converts" to Nexus would the expiry date of Nexus be 5 years from approval of Nexus or 5 years from approval of the earlier GE application?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.