Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
How do I add NEXUS to my existing Global Entry membership?
  • On the TTP home page, select "Manage My Membership"
  • Then click on the "Add Trusted Traveler Program." Make any changes necessary
  • On the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List page, select the checkbox next to the NEXUS option
  • On the next page you will see the NEXUS logo. You will need to provide additional information and answer questions; (some of these questions are very similar)
  • Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee
  • Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency (some with GE received NEXUS card without interview)
  • An iris scan is needed; contact lenses must be removed to do the initial scan. Scan does not have to be done at the same time as the interview
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

What happened if I apply for NEXUS when I am already have Global Entry, is that even necessary? Would that be easy to cross between canada and us? Can someone explain?

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by WinstonXu
What happened if I apply for NEXUS when I am already have Global Entry, is that even necessary? Would that be easy to cross between canada and us? Can someone explain?

Thanks
You should have applied for NEXUS first as it is $50 and includes GE.

With GE, you already have expedited entry to the US, including use of the NEXUS lanes into the US. NEXUS gives you expedited entry into Canada. Until you have a valid NEXUS card, you cannot use the NEXUS lanes into Canada or the NEXUS kiosks at Canadian airports.

If you want NEXUS, you need to apply through your GOES account, pay $50, and be interviewed at NEXUS enrollment center, which are located in Canadian airports or along the Canadian border.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Applying for NEXUS is treated by CBP and CBSA as a brand new process. Nobody will care that you are GE - the process is the process, and it is a LOT slower than GE (supposedly because the CBSA can't process applications as quickly as CBP).

I did GE, then NEXUS, mostly because it was easier to start with GE and get PreCheck benefits immediately. I don't travel to Canada more than once or twice per quarter. At the time when I was GE-only I was also mostly crossing at Thousand Islands in the winter, which meant I didn't have much in the way of lines going in to Canada and I could use my GE card in the NEXUS lane entering the US.

The main benefit of NEXUS over GE is expedited ENTRY to Canada, which you don't get from GE. If you fly in or use a busy land crossing but only have GE, you get to wait in the standard line on the way in to Canada. You can still use GE on the way in to the US (either with the card at a land crossing NEXUS lane, or with your passport and fingerprint biometrics when entering the US or using the Preclearance facilities at major Canadian airports.)
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
I did the GE and then nexus.

I wasnt planning on being in Canada as much as I am.

The benefit of being already enrolled in GE is your us application is typically rubber stamped. However the Canadian portion takes a while.

In my opinion if you go to Canada more than 2 times a year, Nexus is a must.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Adding Nexus to GE?

I am a Canadian, living in Vancouver. I have a Nexus Card, and Global Entry.

I have an American colleague living in Austin, Texas. She travels fairly regularly to Vancouver. She'd like to get Global Entry + Nexus. How to get GE is pretty clear. What's not clear to me is how she 'gets' Nexus when she applies for GE in Austin, and how she gets a card so she can enter Canada when she applies for GE in Texas. Getting the iris scan at YVR should the straightforward.

Apologies if this question was already answered in this thread. Wasn't sure what to search for.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
NEXUS and GE are separate programs. Enrollment in NEXUS comes with GE 'priveleges' but you are not technically a member of GE. The difference is transparent to users

Your colleague cannot get NEXUS by applying for GE. She needs to apply for NEXUS, which includes an interview at a NEXUS enrollment center (along US/Canada border and at major Canadian airports).
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by gglave
I am a Canadian, living in Vancouver. I have a Nexus Card, and Global Entry.

I have an American colleague living in Austin, Texas. She travels fairly regularly to Vancouver. She'd like to get Global Entry + Nexus. How to get GE is pretty clear. What's not clear to me is how she 'gets' Nexus when she applies for GE in Austin, and how she gets a card so she can enter Canada when she applies for GE in Texas. Getting the iris scan at YVR should the straightforward.

Apologies if this question was already answered in this thread. Wasn't sure what to search for.
Have her apply for NEXUS, not GE. NEXUS costs $50 and includes GE. GE costs $100 and does not include NEXUS. She'd have to interview with both CBSA and CBP, so she needs to go to a Canadian land border crossing or an Canadian airport with USCBP preclearance.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Thanks everyone - I'll let her know.

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: AA PltPro HH Dia SPG Gld
I just applied for Nexus after being approved for Global Entry.

I couldn't find a thread that discusses exactly how to do this and the GOES website is not that intuitive so thought I'd share how this is done for anyone else looking to do this!

When you login, click on "Trusted Traveler Program".

From the next screen, on "U.S. Programs" and then "Add Trusted Traveler Program".

Hope this helps!
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:15 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I believe NEXUS should be automatic if you are in GE (AND VV). But GE (first), NEXUS (2nd) costs $100, the reverse order is only $50.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:58 am

nrr,
GE has only the US preform a Background Check, while NEXUS is Canada and US doing the checks. Thus why NEXUS includes GE, and why NEXUS isn't automatic with GE.

No matter what, if you can get NEXUS, NEXUS is the best way to go.

Last edited by jsokoloski; Oct 22, 2015 at 2:35 pm
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by nrr
I believe NEXUS should be automatic if you are in GE (AND VV). But GE (first), NEXUS (2nd) costs $100, the reverse order is only $50.
You can believe that, but it's not the case. If you apply for NEXUS, GE is automatic and you pay $50.

If you apply for GE, NEXUS is NOT automatic, and requires a fresh application. In total, you pay $150 in this case, and the initial GE application/interview is essentially a waste of time.

In short -- apply for NEXUS if you can. The only real catch is having to travel to the Canadian border (or close to it; there are a few interview locations in nearby cities like Seattle) for the interview.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:46 am

I went with the $150 plan. Only took a few (<3) weeks to get GE, but took over 3 months to get NEXUS. I wanted PreCheck ASAP and used GE on a few Canadian returns before NEXUS kicked in, so it was worth the extra scratch for me.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Incorrect.

Nexus gets GE automatically - GE does NOT get Nexus. The most important thing here is clearance/approval. GE is a US-only program and your background/criminal record/other checks are done by the US Only. Nexus is a joint US-Canada program and each side does their checks independently. Since Nexus already has the US checks completed, GE can be (and is) automatic. But GE applicants are only checked on the US side, and so a new application needs to be done to approve and complete the Canadian checks.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:37 pm
jgd

Changing from Nexus to Global Entry

Hi, just joined the forum since I couldn't find the exact answer looking at many posts. Great community, so excited to join! Hopefully this is an easy one to answer.

I am currently on NEXUS since when I applied I was a Canadian Citizen living in Canada.
I have since moved to the US and immigrated. I am now a US Citizen (dual citizen with Canada)
I live in California and it is not practical for me to do my renewal interview near the Canadian border.
I've been approved conditionally for the Nexus renewal, but I would like to understand how to change my application to Global Entry so that I can do my interview locally in California.
I'm OK with losing some of the Nexus benefits (if any) since I don't travel often to Canada.

Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.