Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884

When Do I Need My Global Entry Card?

The circumstances under which a GE card is required/not required or useful varies to some degree. Certain travelers (e.g. those who are not Canadian or US Citizens, but are in another country's frequent traveler program and the US extends GE to them) do not have Global Entry cards. YMMV slightly with some of the below.

Scenarios when a GE card is absolutely required:
  • When crossing into the US from a foreign country (Mexico/Canada) via land and you want to use the NEXUS/SENTRI/Ready Lane lanes to enter the US, or returning to the United States by sea (if the destination in the United States doesn't have GE kiosks, e.g. some commercial cruise terminals).
  • You must show your GE or NEXUS cards to gain access to CATSA Trusted Traveler screening line at Canadian airports. (There are very limited reports of individuals using the now defunct CBP sticker on the inside of the back cover of their passport or logging into GOES on their smartphone to gain access to the line). Even if you clear using a non-TT line (premier or regular security line) you can walk over to the GE kiosks after clearing security (at YUL and YVR. May not be possible at at YYZ). GE kiosks at Canadian pre-clearance airports accept both passports and NEXUS cards.
  • There are reports of YYZ US CBP personnel expecting a GE card from those not eligible to them, but being satisfied by the user giving their Trusted Traveler Number (a.k.a. PASSID from GOES) in lieu of the card.
  • At cruise port where it does not have kiosks like Terminal 25 of Port Everglades, Florida, GE card is required to gain access to the GE lane.

Scenarios under which a GE/NEXUS card can be useful, but is not necessarily required:
  • When approaching GE lanes at certain airports, sometimes CBP or airport staff will ask to see the card to allow access to the GE kiosk area. If you don't have a card or don't have the card on you, you may want to try stating that you are enrolled in GE; if you have the defunct sticker in your passport, you can show that.
  • The GE card is useful at TSA Checkpoints domestically as an ID to match against the boarding pass. GE card is REAL ID compliant.
  • The GE card may be acceptable by CBSA for entry into Canada provided member is US citizen.
  • Use as a primary ID when you don't want your driver's license barcode/magswipe scanned and stored in a database (at a gated community, many retail stores, etc.) - although acceptance can vary because it is not the most commonly used ID.
  • Secondary proof of age/identification when the validity of a driver's license is in doubt

The GE card is normally not required (with the previously mentioned caveats) when using GE kiosks at US airports, since the airport kiosk reads the passport and user's fingerprints and cannot read the GE card.

Print Wikipost

The Global Entry Card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I carry my passport card at all times, whether traveling or at home. I always travel with my NEXUS card and passport book, even on purely domestic trips....you never know when you might want to re-route via another country!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's with my passport and my passport is always with me.

But, if the question is whether it is of any value for domestic travel, the answer is no,=.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Is it possible to never have been issued an actual GE card? I have a Nexus card, but have no recollection of a GE card. And pretty sure I didn't lose it.

So answer to your question, no don't carry it on domestic flights!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:39 pm

The airline has my KTN number which means my boarding pass will have PreCheck written on it, which is all the TSA cares about. Then I'll use my license to pass through security.

I keep my GE card with my passport but I don't think I've ever taken it out!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I've never been in a situation that required me to use my GE card as the ID, so it's just taking up space, as far as I'm concerned. One of these days, I'll walk from Canada to US by myself or with other GE holders.... one of these days...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this point as I don't believe in empowering people that make up their own rules. CBP controls the US Customs arrival area at every US airport and not some private contractors and the card is definitely not required.
I more than understand and agree with you in principle, I just know myself and I am not the best in those types of situations.

Personally, I did not have my card with me and rather than fight with the Airport Contractor, I just took the path of least resistance and waited in the general line. I did say something when I handed over the Automated Immigration Kiosk Receipt that everyone uses in Miami and he said that the airport authority is responsible for the line monitors and that I should talk to the airport authority about it. I said she was preventing those without Global Entry cards (on them) from using the Global Entry Kiosks and he said talk to the airport (so at least that particular Immigration Officer did not want to get involved) and then said NEXT.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kmersh
I more than understand and agree with you in principle, I just know myself and I am not the best in those types of situations.
That's me exactly as well. Many places/times/situations in air travel when I'll "stand my ground" to the point of *extreme* personal inconvenience on principal or to get what I want. If I'm sure I'm right, I'm not reticent to get demanding, ask/wait for supervisor and/or be impossibly stubborn or even loud.

But the Customs/immigration section of an airport is *not* where I'd ever choose to do that w/ the power-tripper in question. I'd take it up later with those who can effect change or at the very least make it widely know that policy is not being followed, etc.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justforfun
Is it possible to never have been issued an actual GE card? I have a Nexus card, but have no recollection of a GE card. And pretty sure I didn't lose it.

When I got GE, there was a separate step you had to take to get the card. After you were approved and had your GE number, you had to return to the GOES website, type in the number, and request a card within 30 days.

I keep my GE card in a drawer and have never needed it for anything. The photo on it is awful, too - I wasn't aware the CBP agent was taking the photo at the time, so I wasn't really looking at the camera.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's me exactly as well. Many places/times/situations in air travel when I'll "stand my ground" to the point of *extreme* personal inconvenience on principal or to get what I want. If I'm sure I'm right, I'm not reticent to get demanding, ask/wait for supervisor and/or be impossibly stubborn or even loud.

But the Customs/immigration section of an airport is *not* where I'd ever choose to do that w/ the power-tripper in question. I'd take it up later with those who can effect change or at the very least make it widely know that policy is not being followed, etc.
Even in a customs area you can ask for a supervisor if they are not following the established procedure. You can be firm and not have to be loud to make your point. The CBP website clearly says that the cards are to be used for entry by land or sea and not by air which is why you have the GE kiosks at the airports.

Also if I am not mistaken Global Entry members who joined prior to July 12, 2011 were not even issued cards and have to request them and pay a $15 fee. So if you are one of those people without a card you are screwed if a contractor at an airport tells you you have to wait on a regular line.

https://www.cbp.gov/faqs/must-i-obta...bal-entry-card
https://www.cbp.gov/faqs/can-i-use-m...al-entry-kiosk
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:34 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I always use my GE card or passport for I/D at the security checkpoint for domestic flights as simply put, for me, there is no reason to show any I/D to the TSA which has anything more than my name, dob & gender as that is all that's required and anything else is none of their business
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Even in a customs area you can ask for a supervisor if they are not following the established procedure. You can be firm and not have to be loud to make your point. The CBP website clearly says that the cards are to be used for entry by land or sea and not by air which is why you have the GE kiosks at the airports.

Also if I am not mistaken Global Entry members who joined prior to July 12, 2011 were not even issued cards and have to request them and pay a $15 fee. So if you are one of those people without a card you are screwed if a contractor at an airport tells you you have to wait on a regular line.

https://www.cbp.gov/faqs/must-i-obta...bal-entry-card
https://www.cbp.gov/faqs/can-i-use-m...al-entry-kiosk
I hear ya-- and you're 100% right-- on all counts, factually. Mean time, for me personally, I spent 7 years and many thousands of dollars to finally get approved for GE, so I'm not busting any onions in/near/about customs any time in this lifetime.

Even barring that, I -still- say "pick your battles" and this isn't one I'd pick-- personal position-- even if I didn't have that background. Not important enough when I -do- have the card and I carry it. I'll let someone else "fix the system" And $15 to get a card doesn't seem like anything worth losing sleep over, IMHO, either.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd object if the airport contract employee were actually looking at the cards or comparing them to passports or boarding passes. They don't need to see your name or other personal details.

If someone claims to have GE but doesn't, the GE kiosks won't give them a receipt, so they gain absolutely nothing and then end up in the back of the regular lines. The problem is if they tie up the GE kiosks and prevent others from using these dedicated machines quickly.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by justforfun

Yes. When I applied, there were no GE cards. Later it was possible to request one for IIRC $15 if you had already been approved earlier for GE. Now I think new GE people get the cards automatically, although there might be a lag between approval and receipt of the card.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
It lives in my briefcase, not my wallet, so (a) if I lose my wallet, I have another ID on me, and (b) I always use it when going through TSA domestically, and I almost never travel without my briefcase.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If someone claims to have GE but doesn't, the GE kiosks won't give them a receipt, so they gain absolutely nothing and then end up in the back of the regular lines. The problem is if they tie up the GE kiosks and prevent others from using these dedicated machines quickly.
IMHO that is a separate issue. We are discussing airport contractors refusing people access to the GE kiosks. They are making up their own rules and not following the procedures set in place by CBP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.