Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Two laptops in one bag at PreCheck

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), AS MVPG, DL DM, HH Dia(life), Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat

I've searched the forums for similar threads - only found one and it didn't really address my question.

I travel with two laptops - one for work, one for personal use. BNA is the only PreCheck Screen that requires me to remove the second laptop from my bag. BNA TSA claims that SOP is that I have to remove the second laptop...no other airport seems to care....

So what really IS the SOP for this?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Never heard that one. Perhaps they are sitting on top of each other so it is confusing? Maybe slip one in the carry-on and the other in the personal item?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Only when they're on top of one another...

If Mrs. Dirty and I are travelling together, but only one of us gets Pre-Check, the other usually grabs the computers and liquids.

I've had my computer bag re-ran when the two were on top of one another and when asked why, the screen agent stated they just needed a clean look at each individually. Now when we travel, I take one out and leave the other in the bag, never been a problem.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
I flew out of JFK (w/PreCheck) before thanksgiving with a laptop, surface pro 1, and an iPad mini. TSA took the laptop out because it was hard for them to see the X-ray. I'm flying out of PHX tomorrow, and I'll probably just take the laptop out to make life easier.

Last edited by IslesFan; Nov 30, 2014 at 9:17 pm Reason: Explicitly mentioned PreCheck
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:05 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by sfbarry
I've searched the forums for similar threads - only found one and it didn't really address my question.

I travel with two laptops - one for work, one for personal use. BNA is the only PreCheck Screen that requires me to remove the second laptop from my bag. BNA TSA claims that SOP is that I have to remove the second laptop...no other airport seems to care....

I always travel with two laptops and two laptop bags. I also carry a duffel bag with me. I put one laptop bag inside the duffel bag so that I don't exceed the two-item limit for carryons. I've never had to remove a laptop from either bag for PreCheck. (I've never flown out of BNA.)

Sounds like another case of TSA "people" making up their own rules.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I travel with at least two laptops, often more, then a bunch a peripherals, all in the same bag. That sucks enough, but then about 20% of the time I get some bag screener who needs to dump the bag because the image is unclear.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by IslesFan
I flew out of JFK (w/PreCheck) before thanksgiving with a laptop, surface pro 1, and an iPad mini. TSA took the laptop out because it was hard for them to see the X-ray. I'm flying out of PHX tomorrow, and I'll probably just take the laptop out to make life easier.
To follow up, I had no issue @ PHX (w/PreCheck), other than the lovely PHX TSA being themselves.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sfbarry

It's SOP in BNA. FSDs are able to create airport-specific security protocols, and apparently the BNA FSD did so.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), AS MVPG, DL DM, HH Dia(life), Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
Thanks to all who responded. BSDS put it to bed. Tomorrow morning as I traverse through BNA Pre-Check, I will take the second lap top out...unless the TSA "officers" appear to have nothing else to do...
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
I regularly travel with 2 laptops, sometimes 3. I also carry an ipad and a ton of cables, hard drives, extra batteries. I rarely have to take anything out... it is all in one bag.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
No issues at DEN on Monday with 2 laptops, 2 cell phones and an iPad (plus requisite chargers for each) in the same bag.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Sousaphil
No issues at DEN on Monday with 2 laptops, 2 cell phones and an iPad (plus requisite chargers for each) in the same bag.
One laptop, two iPads and requiste chargers for each in same bag at ORD Pre last week without an issue.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, US Airways, Virgin America
I've never had any issues with two laptops in one laptop bag
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No issues at IAD on a 3-4 times through pre-check. My bag always has two laptops stacked in the laptop compartment, a tablet, a pack-it cube full of cables, adapters, and chargers, and two phones. When I get to the belt I tell them I have two laptops and ask if they want one out. They shrug and say something to the effect of "put it through and we'll let you know if we can't see well". I've never had to take them out.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
2 laptops plus power cords etc in the same backpack.

No issues ever at DFW,CLT,IAD Pre-checks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.