Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Two laptops in one bag at PreCheck

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two laptops in one bag at PreCheck

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: WFBF
I've done two laptops + phone + tablet + power supplies + e-cig + its supplies all in a bag through Pre, never been asked to take stuff out except once going through the TSA-style security post-preclearance at YYZ where I was told my iPad and laptop had to come out.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Two laptops in one bag at Precheck

New one for me today. Going through Precheck @ DFW C20, I put my backpack containing two full size laptops on the belt. When the image came up on the agent's screen, he asked if I had 2 laptops in the bag, I said yes, he said he had to pull one out and run the bag and the 2nd laptop through separately. Said the image wasn't clear enough with the two machines on top of each other.

I've probably cleared Precheck 40-50 times with the double laptop, and this was the first time I've encountered this. Was this a one-off from a bored agent, or have others here run into this?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
it's at the TSAs discretion
if they cannot see it clearly who's to argue?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
It appears as if they were professional about it. I had the same issue in STL a few months ago, and the guy pretty much held my bag for a few minutes. It took me specifically asking before he told me why. The guy behind me commented "I thought you didn't have to do that anymore" to which I replied "Guess they don't follow the rules here." The STL TSA agent heard me and wasn't happy.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by IslesFan
It appears as if they were professional about it. I had the same issue in STL a few months ago, and the guy pretty much held my bag for a few minutes. It took me specifically asking before he told me why. The guy behind me commented "I thought you didn't have to do that anymore" to which I replied "Guess they don't follow the rules here." The STL TSA agent heard me and wasn't happy.
You were wrong. The guy was following the "rules".

If they can't see the image for whatever reason, they pull out whatever is blocking the image and run the two items separately.

Seems sensible.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
You were wrong. The guy was following the "rules".

If they can't see the image for whatever reason, they pull out whatever is blocking the image and run the two items separately.

Seems sensible.
I should have clarified...

Communication is the key. Had the STL TSA agent asked me right away about the bag(or the two laptops) I would not of had an issue. It's when he held my backpack to the side for a few minutes without saying a word is what pissed me off.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
At EWR Terminal C TSA Pre last Friday, TSA agent explicitly stated to those of us lining up that if we had two laptops in a single bag, one needed to be removed.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by physioprof
At EWR Terminal C TSA Pre last Friday, TSA agent explicitly stated to those of us lining up that if we had two laptops in a single bag, one needed to be removed.
It's because they've all seen the TV commercial.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He was professional, and the rescan only took an extra minute or two. Mostly I'm annoyed because I just bought a new backpack, which I mostly like but where removing a laptop is a bit less convenient than my previous bag. If I had expected removing one of the two computers would be a regular thing, I might have opted for a different bag, but never having encountered the request before (except when Pre- was closed), it wasn;t something I expected.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by swag
He was professional, and the rescan only took an extra minute or two. Mostly I'm annoyed because I just bought a new backpack, which I mostly like but where removing a laptop is a bit less convenient than my previous bag. If I had expected removing one of the two computers would be a regular thing, I might have opted for a different bag, but never having encountered the request before (except when Pre- was closed), it wasn;t something I expected.
So you have extrapolated one incident in 40 or 50 trips through Precheck into it being a regular thing? Hmm...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:21 am

I regularly have 2 laptops in 1 backpack, however, it's the "Checkpoint Friendly" type that has a lay-flat section. I'll put the bigger one in the separate compartment, unzip it to lay flat and the smaller one in the main bag section with all the other junk I carry.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Just came SFO-SYD, SFO Intl recheck had no issues with Thinkpad and MB Air. Don't do it too often. Just one of those things if they want them separate.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emrdoc
So you have extrapolated one incident in 40 or 50 trips through Precheck into it being a regular thing? Hmm...
No, I have posted on Flyertalk to try to find out, based on the huge volume of collected experience here, if this is becoming a regular thing or not.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL PM
Just went through Pre at RIC. Was told that I absolutely could not have a laptop and my iPad in the same bag, that this has always been the policy for TSA Pre everywhere, and that I should never do it again.

Been going through Pre for three years now and have never heard of this policy before. I chalk it up to lazy x-ray operators who don't want to click an extra button to look closer.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Two laptops and a tablet all on top of each other, in addition to a DSLR, phones and chargers underneath: no issues at EWR precheck.

I did once leave my tablet in a bag at LHR (I was somewhat tired after a TATL), that forced a rescan of the tablet AND bag, in addition to explosives swabbing on _every_ single device I was carrying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.