Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petes
.. I've used mobile passport twice now since its been in use despite having global entry. Both times there were lines for the GE kiosk (although not terribly long) but no line at all to use the special lane for mobile passport. I think my strategy for now is to transmit my mobile passport when I land, and then if there is a line for the mobile passport lane go see if the kiosk is less. Chicago for example often seems to have lines for the GE kiosks.

I am guessing as it becomes more popular though lines may start to form for mobile passport, but for now its seems to be better (and free, now if I could only get a refund for GE!).

By the way, on a different related topic, if you live near the Canada border you are better off getting a Nexus card (only $50) which you get at the US/Canada border. Once you have that, you can then get G.E. for free with a simple online application, no other interview required. So in my case my G.E. was $50, not $100....
You may get GE benefits even for less than the US$50 NEXUS fee. Mail in Canada and pay in Canadian dollars.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dustman81
That CBP agent is full of crap. You can go through the regular lines like everyone else.

From the FAQ on globalentry.gov: "As a Global Entry member, am I required to use the Global Entry kiosk when entering the United States?

No. Global Entry members can choose not to use the kiosk and can be processed by CBP officers."

With that said, I'd have her sign up for GE, so both of you can use the kiosks and get Precheck as a side benefit.
Once I entered at DTW when all of the machines were down. There was no choice but to see an agent as waiting for a functioning GE machine probably would have meant the next day.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
No; at least it's not working commonly like that.
I think I'd rather spend a few extra minutes in the GE queue and fly through Customs at the GE exit. Even more so since I virtually always have carry on only bags. Sometimes just getting out of Customs can take a hellacious long time.
It's funny that we are now do spoiled with GE that ten minutes is far too long to wait for a kiosk. I much prefer it over the old days.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Has there been any commentary on MPC coming to LAX?
Old May 1, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Id rather avoid the 20 questions and stick with GE. Especially when i fly halfway around the world for just a few days. GE system never seems to have issues when i fly to the middle east for one day. However without GE it's a guaranteed visit to secondary with a full bag dump (like I used to get before GE)
Old May 2, 2016, 5:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDKing
Id rather avoid the 20 questions and stick with GE. Especially when i fly halfway around the world for just a few days. GE system never seems to have issues when i fly to the middle east for one day. However without GE it's a guaranteed visit to secondary with a full bag dump (like I used to get before GE)
That certainly is not my experience with flying from the Middle East to the US and not using GE.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:01 am

My wife and I have GE and we just came back to FLL. Not at all happy to find they were putting all the people with Mobile Passport in the SAME line as GE holders. What's the point of paying for GE if users of a free app get through just has quickly and are slowing GE holders down?
I'm just not understanding how CBP are thinking? GE requires background check, fingerprints etc, what's the point? It surely can't be border security if people can use a free app, answer a few questions and enter the country just the same as people that have had background checks etc.
Same nonsense goes for TSA Pre. How am I considered a low security risk on 12 airlines but not on others? Why is it airline specific? How does TSA Pre enhance security if JetBlue are able to sell it to anyone as an add on for $10?
All these Trusted Traveler programs are looking more and more like a cash grab that serves no purpose since the same services can be obtained for free or purchased from the airline.

Last edited by Nick Dean; May 24, 2016 at 8:10 am
Old May 24, 2016, 9:23 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

The Trusted Travelers forum is for discussing practical advice and information concerning the various Trusted Traveler programs.

Policy discussions, including administration of the programs and the cost of applying, belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

The reasons that TSA PreCheck is available only when flying specific airlines are discussed in this thread: No TSA PreCheck with Non-participating Airlines [merged threads]

Please stay on topic.

Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old May 24, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any point to the mobile passport app if you have permitted food?
Old May 25, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold; AAdvantage Gold; HH Gold
I suppose things could really come down to the particular airport.

I flew in to Miami from San Jose, Costa Rica recently and their kiosk system (for all US citizens and non-GE) was backed up for miles. Myself and 2 companions (none of us GE) were certainly going to miss our connecting flights with the line being so long and moving so slowly.

We saw the signs for the mobile app lines, and saw that those lines were empty. So, while standing in the regular line, we all downloaded the mobile app, filled out what we needed to fill out, submitted it, and then got out of the long line and made our way through the (still empty) mobile app lines. Immediately got up to the agents, and were cleared through immigration and customs. Time from submitting mobile app info to clearing <5mins. A GE friend traveling with us got through in about the same amount of time (though earlier than us, because of the time we'd spent standing in line before trying to download the app).

With the dedicated mobile app lines (distinct from any GE or other lines) and no one really using the apps, it was super fast for us. Your experience may vary at airlines where mobile app and GE or others share the same line, or as more people start using the app. This was in late March 2016, BTW.
Old May 26, 2016, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
JFK, Terminal 4

Lines were non-existent for all 3 types - GE kiosks, APC kiosks, and MPC checker. Didn't see if there were lines for APC secondary

So GE and MPC for sure and APC it would seem all cleared quite quickly into baggage claim.

For clearing customs, MPC was allowed to use GE line. APC was not - and there was specific signs that US citizens must use the regular line. "Only for Global Entry and MPC"
Old May 26, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Nick Dean
What's the point of paying for GE if users of a free app get through just has quickly and are slowing GE holders down?
Last time I came back through JFK from NRT, I was through the mobile passport line fast than the GE people. Highly doubt they are slowing them down. Every time I've used it, I'm in CBP for less than 5 minutes.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brytpa
I suppose things could really come down to the particular airport.
It comes down to the conditions of my intetnational flight arrival, with the main factors therein varying by:

arrival airport/terminal; and

timing of a few things relative to other passengers arriving at the same terminal as myself on the same day.
Old May 30, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Nick Dean
How does TSA Pre enhance security if JetBlue are able to sell it to anyone as an add on for $10?
All these Trusted Traveler programs are looking more and more like a cash grab that serves no purpose since the same services can be obtained for free or purchased from the airline.
This isn't the thread for a debate, but I couldn't let these statements pass: they're false. Neither B6 nor any other airline "sells" PreCheck; they sell "Even More Speed" or other "Premier Access"-type products that simply provide faster access to the regular security experience.

Some airlines originally granted PreCheck to their most frequent flyers, but that has been dramatically scaled back in favor of those who have undergone full background checks.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note: Please stay on topic

Reminder!
Originally Posted by TWA884
The Trusted Travelers forum is for discussing practical advice and information concerning the various Trusted Traveler programs.

Policy discussions, including administration of the programs and the cost of applying, belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

The reasons that TSA PreCheck is available only when flying specific airlines are discussed in this thread: No TSA PreCheck with Non-participating Airlines [merged threads]

Please stay on topic.

Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
The topic is this thread is: Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App

There are other active threads discussing TSA PreCheck and Priority Checkpoints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.