Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Question Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC

It looks like the new Mobile Passport App authorized by the CBP has been popping up and covering more airports. Looks like a great alternative to the Global Entry program sans the $100 application fee. Is this in fact an equal alternative? What are your experiences?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
The app appears to be like the automated kiosks for non-GE people, except you fill out info on the phone and it's transmitted to the CBP agent in advance. Not clear what line you get to cut, and how much of a line that will be. And appears not to confer an advantage at customs.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:01 am

Interesting, especially for someone who doesn't fly often enough to justify the expense of GE. I would want to know if there is a special line for app users and if there is really any advantage to the app over the kiosks.

Looking forward to seeing some reports on this.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
It looks like there will be a dedicated line for mobile passport. I'm guessing they were piloting various things, including the kiosks which are not ubiquitous.

http://mobilepassport.us/

STEP 4:
SKIP THE LINE & SAVE TIME!

Follow the MOBILE PASSPORT CONTROL signs and skip the lines! Show your passport to the CBP officer and scan the barcode on the CBP receipt. And that’s it!

Last edited by gobluetwo; Jul 29, 2015 at 10:04 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:03 am

Cool! At least until EVERYONE starts using the app. Then we're back to square one.

Brings up a question, though. Since this app is not operated directly by CBP, just exactly who else has access to your personal information, including passport number? I assume the third party app handlers have access to everything you enter.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Cool! At least until EVERYONE starts using the app. Then we're back to square one.

Brings up a question, though. Since this app is not operated directly by CBP, just exactly who else has access to your personal information, including passport number? I assume the third party app handlers have access to everything you enter.

Hi,

OK, here's a little explanation that might help.

1) Because the amount of time that the officer needs to spend with you is much less than the time required in the traditional process and because you don't need to wait in line for a kiosk to open up, the Mobile Passport Control process can scale pretty well. More people using it = more lanes in the future.

2) The app, just like the APC kiosks, operates under an agreement between US CBP and airport authority representatives. No personal data is stored by anyone other than the traveler and US CBP. Data is encrypted in transit. In that sense, it is very similar to the way that an airline or travel agency handles your Secure Flight information (name, gender, DOB) as it is forwarded to US DHS. The data exchange is subject to DHS restrictions and requirements.

3) Mobile Passport is designed to complement Global Entry, not replace it. You don't have to stop at the APC kiosks, and there are dedicated lanes for MPC at both passport control and customs. [NOTE: this is still new, so if you encounter something screwy, please let [email protected] know]. It's ideal for the majority of international travelers who fly overseas a few times a year or less. If you fly a ton internationally or have a name that causes problems with DHS, you will probably prefer Global Entry. Even then, you may find that the GE kiosks are down or backed up or that you are flying with family members who don't have GE. MP is great for those situations.

Please send along feedback and suggestions!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:33 am

Worldwide Viking,
Looks very promising but so far as I can tell, only 5 airports have this in use. Wonder what the goals are (like which airports are coming online by the end of this calendar year, etc.) with regards to the program?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by VillageId10t
Worldwide Viking,
Looks very promising but so far as I can tell, only 5 airports have this in use. Wonder what the goals are (like which airports are coming online by the end of this calendar year, etc.) with regards to the program?
Seems like a good way for people to avoid the APCs if they have a smartphone. Presumably it also allows CBP to do an assessment earlier as to whom to ask more questions of (rather than when you meet agent).
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by worldwide viking
Hi,

1) Because the amount of time that the officer needs to spend with you is much less than the time required in the traditional process and because you don't need to wait in line for a kiosk to open up, the Mobile Passport Control process can scale pretty well. More people using it = more lanes in the future.

2) The app, just like the APC kiosks, operates under an agreement between US CBP and airport authority representatives. No personal data is stored by anyone other than the traveler and US CBP. Data is encrypted in transit. In that sense, it is very similar to the way that an airline or travel agency handles your Secure Flight information (name, gender, DOB) as it is forwarded to US DHS. The data exchange is subject to DHS restrictions and requirements.

3) Mobile Passport is designed to complement Global Entry, not replace it. You don't have to stop at the APC kiosks, and there are dedicated lanes for MPC at both passport control and customs. [NOTE: this is still new, so if you encounter something screwy, please let [email protected] know]. It's ideal for the majority of international travelers who fly overseas a few times a year or less. If you fly a ton internationally or have a name that causes problems with DHS, you will probably prefer Global Entry. Even then, you may find that the GE kiosks are down or backed up or that you are flying with family members who don't have GE. MP is great for those situations.

Thanks for the clarification, Viking.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by worldwide viking
Hi,

So, if you submit the information on landing and get a receipt, can you still use GE if the lines are shorter there?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michilander
So, if you submit the information on landing and get a receipt, can you still use GE if the lines are shorter there?
Right. Would we have a choice or would using this app null our GE option?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cyantologic
Right. Would we have a choice or would using this app null our GE option?
I would imagine that you would have a choice. (I assume that) Nothing is being transmitted to CBP until your receipt is scanned at immigration, so you could go to the GE line if it's shorter and just let your mobile receipt expire (which it does after 4 hours).

OR if it is transmitted when you enter it, I would assume that they could just see that you were admitted back into the US by one channel or the other, so it wouldn't matter either way and you could just let your receipt expire.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I would imagine that you would have a choice. (I assume that) Nothing is being transmitted to CBP until your receipt is scanned at immigration, so you could go to the GE line if it's shorter and just let your mobile receipt expire (which it does after 4 hours).

OR if it is transmitted when you enter it, I would assume that they could just see that you were admitted back into the US by one channel or the other, so it wouldn't matter either way and you could just let your receipt expire.
Transmission occurs when you submit your information upon landing. As far as I know, you will be locked out of other means of entry (GE and APC) for at least four hours.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:22 pm

I was recently told by the GE CBP agent at IAH that if you're GE you're not allowed to go through the regular immigration lines. Which would mean that when I reenter the US with my non GE wife, I would have to go through GE and she'd have to go through the long, regular lines??
In that case, I think I would take or chances with the app.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I was recently told by the GE CBP agent at IAH that if you're GE you're not allowed to go through the regular immigration lines. Which would mean that when I reenter the US with my non GE wife, I would have to go through GE and she'd have to go through the long, regular lines??
In that case, I think I would take or chances with the app.
That CBP agent is full of crap. You can go through the regular lines like everyone else.

From the FAQ on globalentry.gov: "As a Global Entry member, am I required to use the Global Entry kiosk when entering the United States?

No. Global Entry members can choose not to use the kiosk and can be processed by CBP officers."

With that said, I'd have her sign up for GE, so both of you can use the kiosks and get Precheck as a side benefit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.