Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry / NEXUS Citizenship Update Procedure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry / NEXUS Citizenship Update Procedure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
LPR is the abbreviation for Lawful Permanent Resident, an official term used by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services of the Department of Homeland Security.
Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR)

Lawful permanent residents (LPRs), also known as “green card” holders, are non-citizens who are lawfully authorized to live permanently within the United States. LPRs may accept an offer of employment without special restrictions, own property, receive financial assistance at public colleges and universities, and join the Armed Forces. They also may apply to become U.S. citizens if they meet certain eligibility requirements.

The Office of Immigration Statistics (OIS) Annual Flow Reports on LPRs contain information obtained from foreign nationals’ applications for LPR status on the number and characteristics of persons who became LPRs during a given fiscal year. Select a year to download that year’s LPR flow report and accompanying data files.
And now back to our regularly scheduled programming - Proper NEXUS Update Procedure.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 18, 2017, 3:21 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, Marriott TE, National EE, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
My wife is a Chinese citizen and US Green card holder. She is about to apply for US citizenship. If she gets that, how does she update GE? Just online? Walk in interview? Scheduled interview? Hoping someone has done this before, advice would be appreciated.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:08 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs
My wife is a Chinese citizen and US Green card holder. She is about to apply for US citizenship. If she gets that, how does she update GE? Just online? Walk in interview? Scheduled interview? Hoping someone has done this before, advice would be appreciated.
I moved your question to the relevant thread.

The answer it in post #8:
Originally Posted by FlyertalkTW
Quick update:

I simply walked into the processing center at LAX without appointment.

The officer was extremely nice and firstly congratulated me for obtaining the US citizenship (which was very nice!).

He then swiped my new passport, hacked something into the system and after about 2 minutes told me that all done and I am good to travel.

I checked my GOES account once home and my passport credentials are all accurately inserted into my profile.

Seamless process
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I walked into the processing center at PDX, and updated with my new US passport - a week before my 1st international travel after becoming US citizen.

My goes profile has the US passport as well as my Permanent residency info (GC). When i entered ORD yesterday on returning, GE kiosks wouldnt accept my US passport - it asked me to scan my Permanent resident card instead!

Do i have to make another trip to airport to get this fixed? I wouldnt mind, but gonna be hard to convince mrs. harishv79 to do the same though!!!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by harishv79
I walked into the processing center at PDX, and updated with my new US passport - a week before my 1st international travel after becoming US citizen.

My goes profile has the US passport as well as my Permanent residency info (GC). When i entered ORD yesterday on returning, GE kiosks wouldnt accept my US passport - it asked me to scan my Permanent resident card instead!

Do i have to make another trip to airport to get this fixed? I wouldnt mind, but gonna be hard to convince mrs. harishv79 to do the same though!!!
I had exactly the same issue when coming back from Mexico in March via PHX. I walked in today to have GE officer removed my permanent residence info from the profile, and hope it will work next time.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Conundrum - GE/Nexus Holder Naturalizing, Then Traveling Almost Right Away

So the good news is, the other half is finally becoming a US citizen - what has us a little concerned is the sequence of events that needs to happen between their naturalization ceremony, and departing one week later for an international trip.

They have Nexus and Global Entry, both pegged to their TW passport and US green card - at the ceremony, the Green Card is taken away and replaced with a Certificate of Naturalization.

So I understand we need to, within 14 days of departure, schedule an appointment at a regional passport office to get a new US passport - hopefully they can provide expedited service to get the new US passport to us before we depart the following week especially with Thanksgiving landing just before we leave.

What I am unsure about is what we can do about Global Entry and Nexus - are we able to update both citizenship status and new passport information online with the new system, and have this pushed to both Global Entry and Nexus, or do citizenship updates need to occur in person at an enrollment center? Since we won't be anywhere near Canada potentially for months, can we update GE in person if required, but leave stale information in Nexus for a long period until we get to a Nexus location to update in person if it can't be done online?

The final question is about Precheck - their KTN is their Nexus card number - if one or more of these systems is not updated due to the timeline of the new passport plus departing for a trip, will that system still hold their Precheck status, or will everything get dumped out once the Green Card is taken away as part of the Naturalization process - meaning - is their an update to some central database that will invalidate both Global Entry and Precheck until their status is updated either online (if possible), or in person?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:12 am

A) Congratulations to your other half.

B) Nexus membership and Global Entry membership are mutually exclusive. Once Nexus membership is granted, Global Entry membership is revoked. Of course, Nexus membership includes GE benefits.

C) You should probably pre-schedule an appointment at the nearest Passport Agency office for the day after the naturalization ceremony. Because travel would be within two weeks, you'll receive expedited in-person service, and the passport will be ready for pick-up before travel.

D) A change in status from LPR to US citizen is a "significant change" that cannot be updated online. But since your spouse has Nexus, the information needs to be updated in both the CBP and CBSA systems separately. If your spouse intends to use Nexus on this trip, you could try:

- pre-scheduling an appointment by phone for your spouse at a local Global Entry enrollment center, to see if the officer there can add the new citizenship and passport information to the CBP systems for the Nexus membership.

- calling the general processing line for Nexus, to get the email address where to send a scan of the new US passport:

<https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-nexus-information-thread.html>

Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada.
E) Your spouse does not lose eligibility for Nexus simply by transitioning from LPR to US citizen. US citizens are, of course, eligible for Nexus. So the membership should not be revoked. The name your spouse supplies for the airline ticket would be the same name as on the Nexus membership rolls. I would assume that a mere different document number/type in the PNR would not prevent the system from verifying the KTN and enabling PreCheck status.
seawolf likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Agree with Newbie2FT. Passport can be obtained in a day at a passport agency. The update to NEXUS would very likely require a trip to the Canadian border as this is a change to citizenship document.

Is spouse activating GE kiosk with LPR or TW passport? If the later, then how about not applying for US passport until after the trip? Spouse may need ESTA? Disclaimer: Not 100% sure if US citizen with no US passport can travel with other nationality passport. I believe should be no problem because there was a thread awhile back of a USA/GBR dual national entering US with GBR passport and ESTA because US passport was not available.

Alternatively, just apply for US passport and worry about update to NEXUS later. I'm sure you guys can survive not having GE for one trip by using Mobile Passport App or general CBP kiosk.

Last edited by seawolf; Oct 31, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:21 pm

There are two issues here.

First, there are no formal exit passport control when departing from the US, it is electronically reported by the airline, however, US citizens are legally required to enter the US using their US passports. That being said, there have been anecdotal reports that dual citizens have gotten away with entering the US using their other passport.

Take a look at these threads:
Secondly, you can not have active membership in both Global Entry and NEXUS at the same time:
That being said, I fully agree with @Newbie2FT and @seawolf's recommendations.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 4:22 pm
Original Member

I just doubled check the regs.

It is unlawful for US citizen to depart/enter US without a valid US passport (it doesn't matter if you never applied for one). While I don't think anybody has gotten in legal trouble over it, you are probably risking Trusted Traveler membership doing so.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seawolf
I just doubled check the regs.

It is unlawful for US citizen to depart/enter US without a valid US passport (it doesn't matter if you never applied for one). While I don't think anybody has gotten in legal trouble over it, you are probably risking Trusted Traveler membership doing so.
That law is toothless and has been for decades longer than most here have used the internet.

I’ve known lots of GE members to enter and exit the US without a valid US passport/passport card, and their GE memberships are all valid last I cared to ask. And I’d have heard back from most of them if they had problems.

The key thing is for US nationals at the US port of entry to present themselves as a US national. A currently valid US passport is not a necessity for that to take place.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
First off congrats!

My mom had travel literally the next day and found out her passport expired the previous day (the day she discovered this problem). Went to a nearby passport agency and got an expedited passport first thing the next morning. It sure did cost her a pretty penny, but she has since forgotten about this snafu. I just hope she remembers next time. My last expedited passport only took about four days I think. I sent my application Monday using overnight mail, got it back on Friday having paid for overnight mail as well, went to get a new visa that evening, and had a new visa ready to go passport the next Monday.

I have found especially with my dad who refuses to naturalize that the US government seems to mostly treat documents for US citizens quite quickly compared to taking forever for LPRs.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
So the good news is, the other half is finally becoming a US citizen - what has us a little concerned is the sequence of events that needs to happen between their naturalization ceremony, and departing one week later for an international trip.

They have Nexus and Global Entry, both pegged to their TW passport and US green card - at the ceremony, the Green Card is taken away and replaced with a Certificate of Naturalization.

So I understand we need to, within 14 days of departure, schedule an appointment at a regional passport office to get a new US passport - hopefully they can provide expedited service to get the new US passport to us before we depart the following week especially with Thanksgiving landing just before we leave.

What I am unsure about is what we can do about Global Entry and Nexus - are we able to update both citizenship status and new passport information online with the new system, and have this pushed to both Global Entry and Nexus, or do citizenship updates need to occur in person at an enrollment center? Since we won't be anywhere near Canada potentially for months, can we update GE in person if required, but leave stale information in Nexus for a long period until we get to a Nexus location to update in person if it can't be done online?

The final question is about Precheck - their KTN is their Nexus card number - if one or more of these systems is not updated due to the timeline of the new passport plus departing for a trip, will that system still hold their Precheck status, or will everything get dumped out once the Green Card is taken away as part of the Naturalization process - meaning - is their an update to some central database that will invalidate both Global Entry and Precheck until their status is updated either online (if possible), or in person?
I don't know what this regional passport office is, but my advice would be to go to a USA Passport Agency (many of them accept walk ins even if they say that an appointment is required) with proof of immediate travel (IIRC the requirement is departure within two weeks or needing more time to get visas in advance), meaning hard copies of plane ticket receipts, PNRs, and hotel reservations, etc. Be sure to bring all of the required documents, passport photos, etc. IIRC you can pay by credit card. When needed, a psssport agency can make a new passport in less than a day, or they might ask you to come back to collect it the following afternoon. There's also a mail service possibility.

Be sure to get a passport card as backup government issued photo ID (i.e., for TSA at airports rather than showing a driver's license with the home address) at the same time as the passport.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks everyone. I think we have the passport plan sorted out - what still remains is how this will affect the GE account that is tagged to their Nexus, and how many offices we need to contact or visit.

From the advise upthread, it seems like we have two more steps to follow after getting the new passport:

1. fax a copy of the new passport to the Nexus office and ask for the account to be updated

2. go to a local GE enrollment center and have the US side of the Nexus/GE account updated with the new citizenship and passport (assuming this cannot be done solely on the new online system)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Thanks everyone. I think we have the passport plan sorted out - what still remains is how this will affect the GE account that is tagged to their Nexus, and how many offices we need to contact or visit.

From the advise upthread, it seems like we have two more steps to follow after getting the new passport:

1. fax a copy of the new passport to the Nexus office and ask for the account to be updated

2. go to a local GE enrollment center and have the US side of the Nexus/GE account updated with the new citizenship and passport (assuming this cannot be done solely on the new online system)
Be aware that the fax instructions provided by Newbie2FT was from the FT NEXUS thread and not official instructions. It is also for a different set of circumstances as it was for updating NEXUS profile with new passport#/expiry date from a new passport issued by the same country as the expired passport.

Published policy indicate updates to citizenship document (eg new nationality) requires a visit to NEXUS enrollment centre. It is very likely they want to see the original document associated with a change of nationality instead of a fax.

You may want to give the numbers on this page a call to confirm.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 2, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.