Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry/NEXUS Middle Name Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry/NEXUS Middle Name Issues

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Deinonychus
Sorry if this has been already answered but I was wondering if there would be any problems with my Global Entry card missing my middle name. Both my driver's license and passport have my middle name, but my GE card and GOES account do not have my middle name.

When booking a flight, how should I enter my name? Will this cause any problems such as not allowing me to use TSA PreCheck?

Thanks.
I have the exact same issue...GE doesn't have my middle name, but passport and drivers license do. It's never been an issue with precheck as I just book without my middle name and all is well.

My question, for anyone who might know, is this: If/when I travel internationally, will that discrepancy between my passport and GE card cause any issues?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:04 pm

Global Entry issues if GE card has no middle name but passport does?

I was wondering if there will be GE kiosk problems if the GE account/card was set up without a middle name, but passport has a middle name.

I've read some older posts (pre-2014) of people not having issues in this situation regarding precheck on domestic travel where GE has no middle name (matching the name on the ticket's secure flight info), but no datapoints on whether the GE kiosks will have problems coming home from international travel.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Not exactly the same situation but my GE application had a spelling error in my last name, missing 4th letter of my last name. Was that way on the original application and I used GE for five years without realizing it until I renewed recently. I called GE office and was able to have it corrected over the phone..since the name can not be changed online for obvio u s reasons..since they had a scan of my passport and could see the error, corrected it and sent me a new card. I'd call to find out if middle name is part of the match.

Btw I have a middle name on passport as well
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Not exactly the same situation but my GE application had a spelling error in my last name, missing 4th letter of my last name. Was that way on the original application and I used GE for five years without realizing it until I renewed recently. I called GE office and was able to have it corrected over the phone..since the name can not be changed online for obvio u s reasons..since they had a scan of my passport and could see the error, corrected it and sent me a new card. I'd call to find out if middle name is part of the match.

Btw I have a middle name on passport as well
Thanks @worldiswide. So you were able to use the GE kiosks without issue despite having your GE account's last name and your passport name matching exactly? It sounds like a missing middle name should not be an issue. My hope is that CBP's system links one's passport to the GE account internally, so it doesn't need to do a 100% name check when using the kiosks.

The last resort is to have the middle name added, but for complicated reasons, my preference is to be able to leave the middle name out without issue.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:38 pm

I did not have any issues with the kiosk. I'm not certain but I'm guessing middle name is not part of the match as everyone doesn't have one and you have to build logic for the lowest common denominator. I have a middle name on my passport but I don't think it's on GE. As a matter of fact, my passport does not have the same name as my SSN card and no problems with GE.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:15 pm

I did not have any issues with the kiosk. I'm not certain but I'm guessing middle name is not part of the match as everyone doesn't have one and you have to build logic for the lowest common denominator. I have a middle name on my passport but I don't think it's on GE. As a matter of fact, my passport does not have the same name as my SSN card and no problems with GE.
Awesome - thanks for the data/info! Really appreciate it! I think plan A is to call up each of the airlines to see if they can handle changing the secure flight info to match the passport -- if so, I'll do that as well as add the correct middle name to GE. If not, then plan B will be to have all the airlines remove the middle name altogether from the secure flight data, using the GE id card as the basis for changing the name.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:02 pm

Please post your resul t s and experiences. When are you traveling?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:07 pm

Please post your resul t s and experiences. When are you traveling?
Will do, but won't know for sure for a while. Int'l travel won't be for a few months. Have a lot of pre-booked domestic travel for the next few months, but odds are TSA precheck won't happen because of the secure passenger data and GE card name mismatch. Hopefully, I can get everything lined up so GE kiosk and TSA precheck name matching are all good to go after that.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My passport has my first, middle and last name, as does my GE/Nexus, but I never (ever) have my middle name on my air tickets - and I've never had a problem with GE, immigration at any destination or the airline.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
My passport has my first, middle and last name, as does my GE/Nexus, but I never (ever) have my middle name on my air tickets - and I've never had a problem with GE, immigration at any destination or the airline.
I've had the same experience (as well as friends and family) - as long as there isn't a mismatch in middle name or initial, middle name discrepancies have never been a problem (even omission OK). The difference in my situation is trying to figure out what happens at the GE kiosk if the GE account lacks a middle name but passport does.

A brief update: for pre-check purposes, getting Southwest to change the middle name was key, as (1) with any other airline I could book without using FF# (and without middle name, to match GE account), then after-the-fact claim FF credit, but (2) can't with Southwest since there is a companion pass associated with this account as the primary holder, and I would have to use the stored secure flight data in the FF account. Unfortunately, Southwest apparently has a system that does not allow hyphens in middle names (!!!). So I'm going to be going with the old plan: have all FF accounts pull out the middle name altogether (to match the GE account) for pre-check purposes.

For the GE kiosk issue, I'll either deal with it if it happens (if there is some sort of problem, I assume I'll still have the front-of-line privileges), or consider getting the passport re-issued without a middle name (an interesting idea suggested by a fellow poster - thx!).

Thanks to everyone for all your help - I very much appreciate it!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Oh, wait till you have a first name with a space in it, but no middle name. That's when the fun starts.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
I am no expert, but the kisoks will take into many points of consideration, not just a middle name or lack of in verification. Eg. your passport number, DOB, family/last name, and most importantly, fingerprints match up.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
My wife's NEXUS card spells out her middle name, while her passport only has her middle initial. That causes no issues with GE or NEXUS.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:33 am

Global Entry - Middle name now showing as part of first name?

I'm new to this so I apologize if this has been discussed and answered...

My daughter was approved for global entry just recently. When I applied on her behalf, I entered her name as First, Middle, and Last all separately. When i went into Manage Membership section today after receiving the approval e-mail recently, I noticed her middle name was listed after her first name in the first name field under her passport information, leaving the middle name field empty. Would this be a problem? We purchase our tickets using her first, middle and last names all separately, and the secure flight passenger data also lists her names all separately. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm assuming the name entry was changed after the interview for whatever reasons.

Should I contact the enrollment center where she was interviewed to have her name corrected so her first and middle names are separately listed again? Her personal profile names are listed correctly. I hope this makes sense to everyone. Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by aleenasmommy
I'm new to this so I apologize if this has been discussed and answered...

My daughter was approved for global entry just recently. When I applied on her behalf, I entered her name as First, Middle, and Last all separately. When i went into Manage Membership section today after receiving the approval e-mail recently, I noticed her middle name was listed after her first name in the first name field under her passport information, leaving the middle name field empty. Would this be a problem? We purchase our tickets using her first, middle and last names all separately, and the secure flight passenger data also lists her names all separately. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm assuming the name entry was changed after the interview for whatever reasons.

Should I contact the enrollment center where she was interviewed to have her name corrected so her first and middle names are separately listed again? Her personal profile names are listed correctly. I hope this makes sense to everyone. Thanks!
The same thing happened to me, and So far hasn't been an issue ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.