Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Will I be denied GE because of Kinder Eggs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

I'm starting to travel a lot more for work and would like to get global entry. I had an incident a couple years ago when I tried to bring some kinder eggs for my kids. Ignorantly, I didn't know these were banned!

Customs agent took my info and I'm sure made a not on my file. Should I even bother applying for GE or will I get denied because of this?
Old May 6, 2015, 4:24 pm

Perhaps. Perhaps, not.

Understand that you are seeking to join a "trusted" traveler, after having done something that "trusted" travelers will be EXPECTED to know.

My GUESS is that you'll be approved, after enduring a more lengthy & blunt lecture re: the matter above.

If you screw-up again; you can kiss GE:Nexus:Sentri goodbye. Are you ready to learn, know and follow the rules without exception?
Old May 6, 2015, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no set answer. First, it's possible that the CBP Officer did not actually input anything and just tossed the stuff. Second, it's possible that it's in the file and that you will need to deal with it.

Dealing with it means making the case that you were 100% wrong, learned your lesson, have studied up on the rules and would never, ever even consider trying to enter the country without have first researched and then declared it.

qqZL.... is correct. CBP takes this stuff seriously and Agriculture violations are treated more harshly for GE than the average guy.

Is it worth spending $100 to find out? That's a question nobody here can answer.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:24 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
There is no set answer. First, it's possible that the CBP Officer did not actually input anything and just tossed the stuff. Second, it's possible that it's in the file and that you will need to deal with it.

Dealing with it means making the case that you were 100% wrong, learned your lesson, have studied up on the rules and would never, ever even consider trying to enter the country without have first researched and then declared it.

qqZL.... is correct. CBP takes this stuff seriously and Agriculture violations are treated more harshly for GE than the average guy.

Is it worth spending $100 to find out? That's a question nobody here can answer.
It is a CPSIA violation, not AG.

Last edited by Ari; May 14, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Old May 8, 2015, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
OP, did you declare the candy and then have it confiscated? Or did you not declare the candy, it was found during a search, and it was confiscated?

If it was the former, then I don't think you have a problem. There's absolutely nothing wrong if you declare something and it gets confiscated - even for a GE pax. The problems come up when you do NOT declare something - even if it is something that is permitted.

I think KinderEggs are in a somewhat special category - they are not the sort of thing that a traveller could reasonably be expected to know are contraband (and AFAIK, the US is the only country in the world to prohibit them).
Old May 8, 2015, 9:47 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Have you taken any intl. trips since the KE issue? Were you subjected to extra screening? If yes, there is a likelihood that a notation was made. If you were not, probably NO notation.
As others have noted, assuming NO other issues, you'd probably get GE.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by chollie
I think KinderEggs are in a somewhat special category - they are not the sort of thing that a traveller could reasonably be expected to know are contraband (and AFAIK, the US is the only country in the world to prohibit them).
But still, won't they be covered under "food" on which you could've declared "yes"? Then you're covered in any case.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flightsofideas
I'm starting to travel a lot more for work and would like to get global entry. I had an incident a couple years ago when I tried to bring some kinder eggs for my kids. Ignorantly, I didn't know these were banned!

Customs agent took my info and I'm sure made a not on my file. Should I even bother applying for GE or will I get denied because of this?
I would just apply and describe the incident fully in the allotted space. Certainly not doing so is NOT an option. And, I'm working on the assumption that you did -not- declare them at the time this happened.

Having done that, I'd bet good $$ that you get approved. Or, that if you don't, it won't be because of that incident if you're 100% truthful in your application abut what happened.

"Coverup is worse than the crime" never more applicable than in this context.

Good luck! Go for it!

Last edited by JonNYC; May 10, 2015 at 10:46 am
Old May 12, 2015, 2:24 am

The US's bizarre war on Kinder Eggs claims another innocent... sigh.
Old May 12, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by AllieKat
The US's bizarre war on Kinder Eggs claims another innocent... sigh.
I had no idea what a Kinder Egg was until I read this thready. Indeed, bizarre...

Mike
Old May 12, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
I had no idea what a Kinder Egg was until I read this thready. Indeed, bizarre...

Mike
Fascinating. It seems like a sensible ban except that, according to an article in the Independent, there have been very few choking accidents compared to, say, hot dogs.

I thought it was a bit bizarre when, years ago, I saw liqueur chocolates in the rogues gallery at the Milwaukee US Customs Office. That may have been a legacy of prohibition though it was rumoured that Godiva couldn't risk the competition. The uninitiated might have thought that chocolate (OK) plus liquor (OK if declared) would be OK.

Anyway, to get back on topic, the main thing for GE is to confess.
Old May 13, 2015, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Fascinating. It seems like a sensible ban except that, according to an article in the Independent, there have been very few choking accidents compared to, say, hot dogs.

I thought it was a bit bizarre when, years ago, I saw liqueur chocolates in the rogues gallery at the Milwaukee US Customs Office. That may have been a legacy of prohibition though it was rumoured that Godiva couldn't risk the competition. The uninitiated might have thought that chocolate (OK) plus liquor (OK if declared) would be OK.

Anyway, to get back on topic, the main thing for GE is to confess.
WHAT? Chocolate liqueurs are illegal???

And no, if you've ever seen a Kinder Egg they're very safe in design.
Old May 13, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AllieKat
WHAT? Chocolate liqueurs are illegal???
I think that has changed - it was back in the dark ages of the 1980s.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll take a chance and apply for Global Entry... I'll let you know how it goes! Darn Kinder Eggs. I bought them before getting to the airport in YYZ because I loved them when I was a kid. I actually did declare them at customs ("Nothing to declare except these awesome Kinder eggs!" How naive of me!) and got taken aside!!!
Old May 14, 2015, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by flightsofideas
Thanks everyone. I'll take a chance and apply for Global Entry... I'll let you know how it goes! Darn Kinder Eggs. I bought them before getting to the airport in YYZ because I loved them when I was a kid. I actually did declare them at customs ("Nothing to declare except these awesome Kinder eggs!" How naive of me!) and got taken aside!!!
I'm not sure exactly why the US has really declared war on Kinder Eggs, but I've heard of them being treated as seriously as drugs. I don't think ANY other product, ever, gets checked for meeting toy safety and physical safety regulations. There is a directive from the FDA to CBP asking them to declare war on Kinder Eggs, but the WHY? is a huge mystery.

There are many other, FAR less safe toys and foods brought in constantly they don't care about. Safety is clearly not actually the reason behind this, and it is likely there is some underlying motive we don't know about (competition?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.