Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Extra scrutiny for Nexus holders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Poster

I'm curious as to others' experiences after getting their Nexus card. It seems I'm having a harder time crossing into the USA (pulled into secondary asked to prove ties to Canada) with the Nexus card than the years I've traveled without it.

When you apply for Nexus, don't they share information with CBP and CBSA? I had to prove I have my own business, my mortgage papers, address and name of boyfriend in the USA. etc...for Nexus which is totally understandable. I have nothing to hide. If I already had to give all this information for Nexus, are CBP not seeing this on their computers or am I just being given a hard time? Do I have to bring a briefcase full of documents to prove ties to my country every time I cross the border? I thought getting the Nexus was supposed to save time.

Have any of you had similar experiences with Nexus? Have you been denied entry to the USA or been asked for more documentation and threatened with denial?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:50 am

I am going up to Ottawa in July.

The thought crossed my mind to tell CBP on my way back to
Texas that I am going to see my girlfriend.

Fact is, I have a US work visa... I imagine they would not be
amused with my response and would send me to secondary.

Then I would claim the work visa and look at them puzzled and
ask if I was supposed to become a monk while here too.

I think it is telling them the purpose of your trip that is causing
the difficult time... they don't care if you have NEXUS.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by JadeAngel
I'm curious as to others' experiences after getting their Nexus card. It seems I'm having a harder time crossing into the USA (pulled into secondary asked to prove ties to Canada) with the Nexus card than the years I've traveled without it.

When you apply for Nexus, don't they share information with CBP and CBSA? I had to prove I have my own business, my mortgage papers, address and name of boyfriend in the USA. etc...for Nexus which is totally understandable. I have nothing to hide. If I already had to give all this information for Nexus, are CBP not seeing this on their computers or am I just being given a hard time? Do I have to bring a briefcase full of documents to prove ties to my country every time I cross the border? I thought getting the Nexus was supposed to save time.

Have any of you had similar experiences with Nexus? Have you been denied entry to the USA or been asked for more documentation and threatened with denial?
I have had similar experiences, but they told me that there have been "recent policy changes" because people with visas didn't notify nexus of their visa expiring and were crossing the boarder illegally. Everyone travelling with a visa will now get an X at the machine and be forced to go to either a desk or the secondary screening area
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by zer0k1
I have had similar experiences, but they told me that there have been "recent policy changes" because people with visas didn't notify nexus of their visa expiring and were crossing the boarder illegally. Everyone travelling with a visa will now get an X at the machine and be forced to go to either a desk or the secondary screening area
That seems pretty shocking, and kills a big point of the program.
Old May 1, 2015, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
That seems pretty shocking, and kills a big point of the program.
I know a dozen people with visas who go back and forth every day -- no problem.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
I've had NEXUS coming up on five years. I've never had any problems crossing in either direction, but the woman to whom I am married lives in the same country as I do, not the one I am travelling to visit. I am quite sure that is entirely the reason they are giving you extra scrutiny.

Carry the evidence of your home country ties with you, and be prepared to show it if asked. Always be honest. You'll be fine.

Things change if you intend to go there to marry while you visit. A visa will be required then.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:00 am

I've wondered whether you could true copy your documents under Echosign and save them to your iPad or equivalent. The amount of documents a CBP or CBSA agent could demand on any given day is huge and no one wants to carry them all the time. My wife is working in Canada 150 days this year. and will probably have thirty border crossings. She has Nexus, has minimal documents with her but on a given date any immigration agent could argue that she needs to effectively have enough documents to win a court case.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JadeAngel
I'm curious as to others' experiences after getting their Nexus card....

When you apply for Nexus, don't they share information with CBP and CBSA? I had to prove I have my own business, my mortgage papers, address and name of boyfriend in the USA. etc...for Nexus which is totally understandable. I have nothing to hide.?
Look at yourself carefully. You may be projecting an image of a drug smuggler, prostitute, Arab terrorist, Sikh terrorist, or suspicious person. I am not suggesting that you are. Or others may think you are prone to arguments. Then try to mitigate the areas that may cause this scrutiny.

I used to answer questions in an awkward way but now that I fixed that, I get waived through very quickly with only 1-2 quick questions.
Old May 5, 2015, 1:57 pm

JadeAngel,

In your other thread; you mentioned applying for NEXUS *after* CBP began scrutinizing (investigating) your romance visits.

Applying for NEXUS after scrutiny (investigation) begins is too little, too late. NEXUS approval is rather perfunctory ... it does not magically end CBP's on-going investigation of you. Once a CBP investigation began; it will continue ... and continue to burden you until CBP is convinced that what you say is true.

Your choices are:

- Give CBP the docs they seek (active cooperation) to hurry along their investigation.

- Do only the minimum necessary for your travel ... and risk continuing diversions to Secondary ... and risk being turned back, on every visit ... until CBP completes their investigation *AND* the results of their investigation are adjudicated in your favor.

- Ditch the American boyfriend

- Have him visit you (stop seeking entry to the USA)

Last edited by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7; May 5, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Old May 5, 2015, 2:08 pm

> I imagine they would not be amused with my response and would send me to secondary.

Paul,

Your instincts are correct. It's unwise to provoke the bull.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.