TSA Precheck - Decline in

Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I'm a bit astounded, though I'm sure I shouldn't be, at the entitlement I hear coming from those who paid for pre one way or another. It is so much the "American way" to buy privilege, and screw those who can't afford it. Put up this security theater, then allow the wealthy to bypass it, so once again they can feel better than the "kettles" and other sorts of pond scum.

And as for the program needing to fund itself - I pay the 9/11 "security fee" every time I fly. Enough is enough.
I filled out an extensive application form (you obviously have neither seen nor filled out the form), was subjected to an extensive background check, had to present myself for a face-to-face interview where I was then fingerprinted, yet I'm somehow screaming "entitlement" or "buying privilege"? You definitely have no clue whatsoever as to how any of this works.

BTW, I agree with you on the "security theater" idea... but to paint this as a wealthy vs. "kettle" thing is ridiculously short-sighted. If we are going to have security at airports (and we are whether you like it or not) then there is nothing wrong with having people pay their hard-earned $$$ to adequately demonstrate that they are not a security threat and undergo the background checks, etc. to prove such so that they can bypass some of the "security theater". I'm not even close to wealthy but paying $100 for GE is one of the best investments I could make since I do this (travel) every week. This is the world we live in, get used to it...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by txrus
50% PC rate this week & that's after having paid the extortion fee back in April.

And, when I did get it on Sunday, the PC lane was closed in PHX, so ended up w/PC lite.
You are either doing something wrong or have somehow ended up on the wrong list. Have you made 100% sure that your KTN is in your AA profile and that it is attached to every one of your reservations? If you go to your trips on aa.com there is a "Passenger Summary" section for each one... in the lower right corner of that section you can click on "Add/Edit Passenger Information" and verify that your KTN is attached to your reservation. If it's there and you are truly at 50% for PreCheck then something is definitely wrong...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by krlcomm
You are either doing something wrong or have somehow ended up on the wrong list. Have you made 100% sure that your KTN is in your AA profile and that it is attached to every one of your reservations? If you go to your trips on aa.com there is a "Passenger Summary" section for each one... in the lower right corner of that section you can click on "Add/Edit Passenger Information" and verify that your KTN is attached to your reservation. If it's there and you are truly at 50% for PreCheck then something is definitely wrong...
Yes to all of that. And I even went back & bumped all the existing reservations at the time the KTN came thru, though this was not one of them since it was booked after & after the KTN was put in the profile.

I find it fascinating that I was nearly 100% prior to the FF's being kicked out & yet, after paying the extortion fee, I'm lucky to hit 50%.

My business partner went & got hers 2 weeks ago & the clerk who did her 'interview' told her she'd get it 100% of the time; told her then that was sure not my experience!

It's a scam, plain & simple, & shame on me for falling for it.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm
Perhaps someone said it earlier, but just because you're 1k doesn't mean you're not a security risk. Goodness knows, I've seen a lot of loony Global Service types. Plus all of the miles could be accrued on round trips to...uh...Syria. The known traveler program involves a records review (in theory) so, there is at least a small improvement in security over the ff status driven criteria. As for me, I've seen far too many unaware travelers in the pre check lines lately and it drives me bonkers when they proceed to strip down and search for liquids in carry ons.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:18 pm

Yes to all of that. And I even went back & bumped all the existing reservations at the time the KTN came thru, though this was not one of them since it was booked after & after the KTN was put in the profile.

I find it fascinating that I was nearly 100% prior to the FF's being kicked out & yet, after paying the extortion fee, I'm lucky to hit 50%.

My business partner went & got hers 2 weeks ago & the clerk who did her 'interview' told her she'd get it 100% of the time; told her then that was sure not my experience!

Gotta think that there is something else going on... maybe you inadvertently ended up on some list that you don't want to be on... have you checked out TSA's traveler redress program? You might want to make an inquiry because what you are experiencing doesn't sound right...http://www.dhs.gov/one-stop-travelers-redress-process
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:43 pm

Once you have the KTN number, it should not be TSA's fault, but the airline - have you called an airline agent? Ask them to enter the KTN number on their system.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by skattebol
Once you have the KTN number, it should not be TSA's fault, but the airline - have you called an airline agent? Ask them to enter the KTN number on their system.
1. It is 100% on you as the pax to make certain that the KTN is properly entered in each PNR. But, in this case, the poster has said twice that he has done this, so not sure what your post is meant to suggest.

2. I agree with others. If OP has a KTN and it is properly entered in each PNR and he is at 50%, there is something wrong and he is on some list. He may need to go through the redress process.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've seen billionaires (in USD terms) waiting in immigration/passport control lines, and I've seen probably near-penniless refugees in the lines too.
Do US$ billionaires have signs stuck on their heads saying "I'm a US$ billionaire"?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Exec
I only got here because FlyerTalk said it was a 'hot topic'. But it's all actually quite meaningless to me, I have no idea what you are all talking about. But one thing jumps out.
100/200/300/400 people turn up at an airport - they all want to get on the same plane. Lots of other people are arriving to get on different planes. There are x staff to process these people through security. Some kind of maths says that equates to a wait of some minutes. Some folks aren't happy about this, they think because they are frequent flyers, wealthy, important, whatever they should wait less than that number of minutes, ideally no minutes at all. So they pay money to achieve that. The amount of money isn't important.

But this is a zero sum game. The people who organise that security don't take the money and hire more staff, get more machines or do anything else to ensure that people reducing their wait-time doesn't have the effect of increasing wait-time for those who don't or can't pay.

By what logic of human relationship is it fair or equitable that because you have money I have to wait longer?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Redheadpeter
I have no idea what you are all talking about.
From the rest of your rage against the machine rant, I'd say this part is spot on.

Precheck is free with some credit cards; otherwise, it's a measly $17 ($20 for GE) per year.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
1. It is 100% on you as the pax to make certain that the KTN is properly entered in each PNR. But, in this case, the poster has said twice that he has done this, so not sure what your post is meant to suggest.

2. I agree with others. If OP has a KTN and it is properly entered in each PNR and he is at 50%, there is something wrong and he is on some list. He may need to go through the redress process.
I do agree with you he may have to go through the redress system, but the reason I said it may be the airline's problem is due to the TSA blog, and this is what they state:

Entering your KTN to your frequent flyer profile will NOT automatically update previously booked reservations.
If you make reservations via a third-party website (not on the airlines’ website directly) and/or travel agency, your KTN may not always be shared with the airline. Also, some systems don’t allow you to enter a KTN and only have a “Redress” field. Do not enter your KTN in the redress field.
Even though you save your KTN in your frequent flyer profile, it will not associate your KTN with reservations automatically unless the KTN is supplied during the booking process.
Remember to always enter your KTN when booking your reservation, even when using your frequent flyer profile.
Lastly, if you make a change to a reservation, the airlines’ reservation system may, at times, remove your KTN.
TSA always recommends you contact your air carrier directly to add your KTN to your reservation, or use the tips below to ensure it is added correctly
We recommend that when in doubt, call your air carrier — or contact them via Twitter — to verify that your Secure Flight data matches. Verify that the airline has your first/middle/last name, gender and correct date of birth exactly as you applied for your KTN. Your individual reservation — not just your frequent flyer profile — must include your KTN. Incorrect name and/or date of birth information will not clear you to receive TSA Pre✓ expedited screening on that flight. This also will happen if you incorrectly enter your KTN or enter it in the redress field.
Some of the TSA Pre✓ participating airlines allow you to pull up your individual reservation, and verify your KTN is included. We recommend you check, just to be sure, and it only takes a few minutes of your time
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:30 pm

Since when is being able to afford $17/$20 / year for a membership to something considered wealthy??

Did we turn into greece or something else I'm unaware of?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm
I only got here because FlyerTalk said it was a 'hot topic'. But it's all actually quite meaningless to me, I have no idea what you are all talking about.....

But this is a zero sum game. The people who organise that security don't take the money and hire more staff, get more machines or do anything else to ensure that people reducing their wait-time doesn't have the effect of increasing wait-time for those who don't or can't pay.

By what logic of human relationship is it fair or equitable that because you have money I have to wait longer?
Not a zero sum game. Extra fees can pay for extra TSA folk. They added an extra queue just for precheck at ewr and at other busy airports. They even did it at OGG.

I suspect the billionaires among us are (a) flying private and (b) aren't reading these posts. Most of the precheck fliers I see are lugging brief cases and are ordinary working stiffs like most of us. For us, time has value and we pay a modest amount to save it. The cost of a known traveler number is roughly equivalent to a slice of pizza a month.

If all PAX gave up a slice of pizza to pay for pre check, we'd all weigh less and airfare would be less because fewer fat people would be weighing down the aircraft.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Some folks aren't happy about this, they think because they are frequent flyers, wealthy, important, whatever they should wait less than that number of minutes, ideally no minutes at all. So they pay money to achieve that. The amount of money isn't important.
In fact the amount of money is the most important bit.

If it were, say, $1,000/year, only top executives and people with more money than they could possibly spend would pay it.

If it were just a token, say $1/year, the system would be inundated.

The key is to do exactly what they've done, which is to find an amount that is high enough to cover the costs of the requisite background checks and infrastructure, while still allowing anyone who flies frequently and wants or needs a predictable experience to afford it.

Personally, I think they've done a damn fine job, except for this eternal "managed inclusion" stuff.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:01 pm

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Another flight tomorrow, and another Pre-check. Only one flight this year where I didn't get it. And I haven't paid! Hopefully they won't be able to identify me by my FT ID and bust me. I think when my average starts to go down, I'll pay, but what the heck, so far no worries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.