Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA to Cut Back on PreCheck Access for Non-Enrolled Flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

This is good news for those of us with GE or other trusted traveler memberships but will make some people unhappy.

The Transportation Security Administration, the government agency that manages the nation’s security checkpoints at airports, announced it is changing how it determines how some passengers receive expedited screening via the PreCheck trusted traveler program.

Frequent travelers who have been receiving PreCheck access by virtue of their elite status at an airline will most likely see a decline in the number of times they get PreCheck....

<SNIP>
(Above was published in FBT, where I serve as ed.dir.)
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
AA just sent an email on this to AAdvantage members:

Hello Scifience,
AAdvantage® Number: 00XXX00

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Which government contractor/subcontractor is this DHS shake-down (for more money from passengers) going to financially benefit? Or is this change just there to protect/enlarge the DHS fiefdom?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:22 pm

Good. Some of those lanes are getting WAY too long.

And the travelers in them are getting way too clueless.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The sign will be if/when the TSA stops granting PreCheck LLL to whole lots of senior citizens. The under 12 years of age kids will still often end up in PreCheck.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 1, 2021 at 7:01 pm Reason: Quote of deleted post
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA
Got this email from AA this morning and was very glad to see it. I hope this has a tangible impact on lines.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Got that AA email as well. I can only assume they're sending this to all their FF members, rather than the ones directly affected, which seems rather silly. I don't have AA status much less PreCheck through them. And I already have GE and have my KTN from that in my AA profile.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
I just got an email from AA saying that the TSA is changing the Precheck program to reduce the number of people who get Precheck clearance at random or based on frequent flyer status. If you are a Global Entry or Precheck member, you shouldn't be affected so long as you enter your KTN on your profile or ticket.

Hopefully this reduces the number of people removing shoes and laptops in the Precheck lanes.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 1, 2021 at 7:02 pm Reason: Derogatory terms
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I don't have AA status much less PreCheck through them. And I already have GE and have my KTN from that in my AA profile.
Same here.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I'm seeing the PreCheck lanes mostly get clogged these days by the randomizers. Specifically at LAX T1 and T4...

That is the practice they actually need to stop.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Same here. Oh happy day! I was getting frustrated with all of the folks who were randomly selected gumming up the works.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 7, 2015 at 1:11 am
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Removing shoes and laptops. Who know there was such a great way to piss off other pre members.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 1, 2021 at 6:57 pm Reason: Derog
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My wife is a UA 1K and has always had Pre-Check before, but did not get it today.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by ou81two
Removing shoes and laptops. Who know there was such a great way to piss off other pre members.
It should. Makes no sense to have people pay and undergo a background check in order to qualify for expedited screening but randomly send people who haven't been through the process in the expedited lane to the point it is often times quicker to go through the normal lane.

Defeats the purpose of the program.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 1, 2021 at 6:57 pm Reason: Derog in quoted post
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:30 pm

According to Pistole back in October, PreCheck still needed "millions" of more people enrolled to make it work. Those "millions" haven't materialized and, ergo, I smell a rat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.