Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by broncosmang
Long story short... applied back in January and was conditionally approved. Denied during interview because I had been arrested twice. Couldn't provide the dismissal records of the first because of statutory retention records. They just didn't exist.

Was told I would need to appeal to the ombudsman. I did, and 6 months later I did not hear back. Sent a subsequent letter again requesting reconsideration as six months had passed.

Today, I receive an e-mail saying that my GOES status has changed from "Denied" to "conditionally approved" again. No communication from the Ombudsman.

I'm assuming this is a good thing, but wanted to know from someone who has been through it if this is how it works. Do I need to go in for another interview? And will they have a record of the reversed denial?

Thanks all!
Been there, done that. It is a good thing and pretty much how it happened for me. You will need to set up an interview; it shouldn't be any big deal.

FWIW
DLM
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by broncosmang
. No communication from the Ombudsman.
The change from denied to conditional approval IS the communication from the ombudsman.

I'm assuming this is a good thing, but wanted to know from someone who has been through it if this is how it works.
It is.

Do I need to go in for another interview? And will they have a record of the reversed denial?
Yes and yes.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:44 pm

Since this seems to be the successor to the "Anyone ever" thread...

Applied for GE in February. Received denial letter within days. Reason: "Other: You do not meet the program eligibility requirements."

Since the letter said "If you believe the decision was based upon inaccurate information, you may contact the local trusted traveler Enrollment Center to schedule an appointment to speak with a supervisor," I did just that. I visited an enrollment center shortly thereafter and asked to speak with a supervisor. Supervisor gave me a spiel about how he's unable to do anything and only the ombudsman can change the decision. I ask him to at least tell me what I need to appeal. He looks at his screen, furrows his eyebrows, calls his colleague over and says "that's a contradiction, right?" Apparently the file notes said I was rejected because of a relatives immigration status, but the file notes also said that my relative had a clean immigration record (which is accurate). Confused, he proceeds to tell me there must have been a mistake, that the screener must've misunderstood what they saw and incorrectly rejected it. He encouraged me to appeal, and even told me to list his name on the appeal.

I submitted an appeal to the Ombudsman via email in May. Just got an email back from them stating that "CBP has determined that you do not meet the eligibility requirements for a Trusted Traveler Program for the reasons originally provided to you on your denial notification letter."

I've asked my Congressperson to get more information. In the meantime, I'll be applying for PreCheck. Wish me luck!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by tomterrfic
Since it has nothing to do with a dismissed arrest, I moved your post to a thread that discusses issues similar to the one that you experienced.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Since it has nothing to do with a dismissed arrest, I moved your post to a thread that discusses issues similar to the one that you experienced.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I submitted an appeal to the Ombudsman via email in May. Just got an email back from them stating that "CBP has determined that you do not meet the eligibility requirements for a Trusted Traveler Program for the reasons originally provided to you on your denial notification letter."

I've asked my Congressperson to get more information. In the meantime, I'll be applying for PreCheck. Wish me luck!
You shouldn't have any problem getting PreCheck; I certainly didn't. And in fact, being denied GE hasn't been a big deal since the advent of Mobile Passport. I've only waited in a CBP line once in the past couple years, at EWR before they had a dedicated Mobile Passport queue.

In my case, as you can see from the original posts, no one would even give me any rationale as to why my husband and I were rejected. Neither of us has ever had the slightest brush with the law, and my husband is an Episcopal priest, returned Peace Corps volunteer, and former federal employee.

I applied to receive my denial file via FOIA three times, but each time my request was denied for administrative reasons that hadn't been outlined beforehand. It was almost as if they were trying to make the process difficult in order to frustrate applicants. The whole thing is pretty bizarre.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:48 am
Suspended

Applied for GE in February. Received denial letter within days. Reason: "Other: You do not meet the program eligibility requirements."

Since the letter said "If you believe the decision was based upon inaccurate information, you may contact the local trusted traveler Enrollment Center to schedule an appointment to speak with a supervisor," I did just that. I visited an enrollment center shortly thereafter and asked to speak with a supervisor. Supervisor gave me a spiel about how he's unable to do anything and only the ombudsman can change the decision. I ask him to at least tell me what I need to appeal. He looks at his screen, furrows his eyebrows, calls his colleague over and says "that's a contradiction, right?" Apparently the file notes said I was rejected because of a relatives immigration status, but the file notes also said that my relative had a clean immigration record (which is accurate). Confused, he proceeds to tell me there must have been a mistake, that the screener must've misunderstood what they saw and incorrectly rejected it. He encouraged me to appeal, and even told me to list his name on the appeal.

I've asked my Congressperson to get more information...
-If- you decide to seriously pursue it, I'd say no question that first step is to FOI all your records from all agencies. Unfortunately, when I did that, the one that came last was the one that had the information I needed-- CBP. And it took over a year, with a lawyer doing all the paperwork, follow-up, etc.

In my case-- somewhat by coincidence, it was that process and follow-up to same that led to my eventual approval for Global Entry (and, I hadn't even tried the Ombudsman route-- I knew I needed to see my actual records in order to properly address what was in there.)

Dunno if turn-around time for FOI requests to CBP have shortened at all-- I tend to assume they have-- but I also assume it will be a long wait still. Still, IMO, makes sense to know "what's in there on you" regardless.

I, too, would bet precheck will be no problem at all based on what you were told, so if you go that route, good luck!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:25 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
-In my case-- somewhat by coincidence, it was that process and follow-up to same that led to my eventual approval for Global Entry (and, I hadn't even tried the Ombudsman route-- I knew I needed to see my actual records in order to properly address what was in there.)
What was in there?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
What was in there?
A customs infraction from the 1990's that I was completely unaware of until the first rejection I received right when global entry was introduced and I applied.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:50 am

A customs infraction from the 1990's that I was completely unaware of until the first rejection I received right when global entry was introduced and I applied.
Customs Infraction? Not sure but I was randomly selected once for Custom check at DFW airport - they opened my bags but did not find anything questionable / forbidden items in bag, missed my connecting flight but AA was kind enough to schedule me on next flight.

Update : After google check found about infraction - I am 100% certain that never had issue with US Customs.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:40 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How obnoxious they wouldn't just tell you about it straight up in the denial letter. It isn't like some national security secret or something. Wow.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
How obnoxious they wouldn't just tell you about it straight up in the denial letter. It isn't like some national security secret or something. Wow.
My fault-- I left a misimpression here, sorry; when I wrote:
...that I was completely unaware of until the first rejection I received right when global entry was introduced..
I meant to clarify that that first rejection -did- state the nature of the infraction (I had no awareness of it until that moment.) The FOIA stuff was to find out the exact details so I could proffer a more complete and productive reply.

Again, my fault for not making that clear.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 22, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of this suggesting that if you had an "encounter" and are not sure whether it resulted in a violation or not, simply because you do not recall the exact outcome, disclose it and say that.

The deciding factor is often not the offense, but the failure to disclose it. In JonNYC's case, had he recalled it, he could have disclosed it and explained it and likely been approved.

All of these examples go to the broader disclosure issue. Just disclose, disclose, disclose (if you can possibly remember). In that way, if something has popped up on the Officer's screen and you have mentioned it, you either do or do not have a problem.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My fault-- I left a misimpression here, sorry; when I wrote:

I meant to clarify that that first rejection -did- state the nature of the infraction (I had no awareness of it until that moment.) The FOIA stuff was to find out the exact details so I could proffer a more complete and productive reply.

Again, my fault for not making that clear.
What was the nature of the customs infraction used to initially reject you from GE membership?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Often1
All of these examples go to the broader disclosure issue. Just disclose, disclose, disclose (if you can possibly remember).
Not quite all. I and others have been denied for no stated reason, and having never had any customs infractions or law enforcement entanglements.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.