Go Back   > > >

Old Mar 20, 17, 2:25 pm   #211
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphum View Post
A colleague / friend applied for Global Entry and did the interview but was denied. At the interview, the first line of questioning led to him disclosing that he'd been brought to the US as a child (4 or 5 years old) on a tourist visa, and that he had remained in the US until marrying a citizen several years ago, becoming a permanent resident and ultimately naturalizing. My understanding is that the rest of the interview went smoothly.

The denial letter listed 'Visa Overstay' as the reason, but given that it happened as a child, it seems like an ungenerous interpretation. Does he have any hope of success in appealing to the ombudsman, emphasizing that he was a young child when brought, and that he did not knowingly overstay?
I doubt he married before turning 18. Thus he was overstaying as an adult. The only defense would be if he didn't know he was here illegally.
Loren Pechtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 17, 4:40 pm   #212
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphum View Post
The denial letter listed 'Visa Overstay' as the reason, but given that it happened as a child, it seems like an ungenerous interpretation. Does he have any hope of success in appealing to the ombudsman, emphasizing that he was a young child when brought, and that he did not knowingly overstay?
This is such an unusual situation that no one here can say for sure. Certainly I feel for your friend, who must be disappointed in the insinuation that he is untrustworthy due to a visa overstay decision made by his parents. Having said that though, CBP denies GE for all sorts of reasons, fair and unfair. I myself was denied for no stated reason, which still rankles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
I doubt he married before turning 18. Thus he was overstaying as an adult. The only defense would be if he didn't know he was here illegally.
Setting aside your comment about the timing of his marriage, you bring up a good point about those brought here as children, those known as "DREAMers." As the US is the only home they've ever known, it seems odd to expect or insist that they return to the country of their birth upon their 18th birthday. But neither do they -- or anyone, for that matter -- have a right to GE. CBP is well within its rights to say their background is too muddy to allow GE approval.
RandomBaritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 17, 9:48 pm   #213
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
Setting aside your comment about the timing of his marriage, you bring up a good point about those brought here as children, those known as "DREAMers." As the US is the only home they've ever known, it seems odd to expect or insist that they return to the country of their birth upon their 18th birthday. But neither do they -- or anyone, for that matter -- have a right to GE. CBP is well within its rights to say their background is too muddy to allow GE approval.
And it's exactly that group that I think should be allowed to stay--and in my mind it doesn't muddy them at all. Expecting someone to up and move to a country they don't know and don't speak the language is unreasonable in my book.
Loren Pechtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 17, 12:25 pm   #214

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
This is such an unusual situation that no one here can say for sure. Certainly I feel for your friend, who must be disappointed in the insinuation that he is untrustworthy due to a visa overstay decision made by his parents. Having said that though, CBP denies GE for all sorts of reasons, fair and unfair. I myself was denied for no stated reason, which still rankles.

Quote:
And it's exactly that group that I think should be allowed to stay--and in my mind it doesn't muddy them at all. Expecting someone to up and move to a country they don't know and don't speak the language is unreasonable in my book.
Appreciate the replies. Setting aside the important questions of fairness regarding the situation of 'DREAMers' and holding someone responsible for persisting an unlawful status while lacking viable alternatives, I'm wondering if there is any practical approach for appeal that might yield a positive result.

I can see that CBP might consider a person with previous immigration violations and familial ties to other immigration policy violators to be too 'muddy' to grant trusted status, but is there any room for interpretation? Simply stated: does the ombudsman consider the nature / circumstances of violations, or are grounds for appealing a denial limited to strict inaccuracy of information on which the denial is based? In this case, in particular, it seems possible that the denial was based upon incomplete information (i.e. knowledge of a visa overstay but not full knowledge of how/when the overstay occurred). So is writing to the ombudsman the best strategy, or is there another avenue, or do extenuating circumstances no matter for this program?

(This question is somewhat self-serving because I travel with this associate internationally once or twice per year, so it'd be beneficial for both of us to be able to use GE.)
seraphum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 17, 1:12 pm   #215
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This seems to be drifting off into OMNI territory and a discussion of DACCA. This isn't even truly a typical DACCA situation because the individual was a "visa overstay" and thus entered the US legally.

The problem is not what the law ought to be, simply that the friend at some point was old enough to know that he was a visa overstay and did not take steps to fix that situation (although it was eventually dealt with upon marriage). GE is a "trusted traveler progam"

CBP's likely position is that it is fine that the friend stayed in the country under DACCA or something like DACCA, but it is hard to also let go of the fact that someone who apparently, as an adult, remained as a visa overstay when others who are visa overstays would not be GE-qualified.

All of that said, this is not as clear-cut as some might argue. While the Ombudsman process seems to take forever, some people have had good results when they have made clear & concise and factual presentations.

If the friend's facts are exactly as they related here, why not put them into an Ombudsman "appeal"? The friend is now "natrualizing" (I hope this means that he is a "naturalized" so no risk that this becomes a negative.)

If your friend can afford a lawyer, that might be helpful. Not because this is hard, but because it may be helpful to have someone who is not involved carefully read through this. If he can't afford one, consider finding someone who writes and thinks through problems really well and will look at this from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about the friend of the issue.

Don't be surprised if this comes back 9-12 months from now as a "no" but this is not the standard visa overstay case.
Often1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 17, 8:39 am   #216

I just received green card last month. After about one month pending review, my case was denied. It seems most of denies happened after interview. I checked my information carefully, nothing was wrong. They did not give me exact reason. How can I appeal? Anyone has similar situation?
We regret to inform you that your membership in Global Entry has been disapproved for the following reason(s):
Other
You do not meet the program eligibility requirements.
flywithme27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 17, 9:29 am   #217
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithme27 View Post
I just received green card last month. After about one month pending review, my case was denied. It seems most of denies happened after interview. I checked my information carefully, nothing was wrong. They did not give me exact reason. How can I appeal? Anyone has similar situation?
Several people, both citizens and permanent residents, have been denied in a similar manner, without a stated reason. Reading through this thread will give you an idea of how best to move forward should you decide to appeal. In my case Mobile Passport and PreCheck have amply made up for most of the benefits of GE.

Good luck!
RandomBaritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 17, 10:43 am   #218

global entry truned down for expunged ca dui

hi all,
i've recently applied GE, and got denied for arrest record. i'm here to get suggestion for appeal or not.

i got dui in 2012, and court put it guilty in 2013. i've done whatever i need to do and i got this case expunged in 2017 feb.

i applied GE, couple months ago, and got interviewed by an officer. Everything was very easy until the officer asked me like "do you have two arrest?" i said no, i only had one dui in 2012, and i have it expunged already. then i showed him court signed paperworks for expungment. but he still not satisfy with it, he gives me an arrest ticket number and he thinks that second arrest is my jail serve, then request me to provide any proof to show that arrest is in a part of my dui case.
since i have nothing to proof to him in the interview, he hand me a paper with email and everything, told me if i can proof that, i will get GE card in mail.
they i went to see my lawer and talked to the court, got my arrest sheets then emailed to them. it's very detailed sheet which shows Everything for the arrest he been question of.
however, 3 wks later, i got an email says GE denied.

now.... i need suggestion from you guys, do i want to appeal?
like what i want to say in the appeal mail, since i have given Everything i get for my dui case to them already. now they have got my arrest records, court history, expungmemt paperworks... like Everything, and i got turned down.

anyone?any suggestion?
CHEFCHOW9088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 17, 10:57 am   #219
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEFCHOW9088 View Post
anyone?any suggestion?
I suggest that you start by reviewing this thread:
Global Entry and DUI
TWA884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 17, 10:53 pm   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2briggs1 View Post
Yes I would expect for them to say something to me about it and tell me why. My bigger issue is that when I went to the Customs office - they said to me they couldnt tell me and to write the appeal and then to check out FOIA. That tells me nothing on why I was denied. The interviewer told me that I would get my card etc in a few days. Gave me the little booklet with my number in it and everything.

Then a few days later Im told no and the reason is so vague that doesnt really help me with the appeal process.

On top of that - i have to possibly wait 6 months in hopes that they have reviewed the application and still wont have a clue as to WHY I was denied.
Hi, have you heard anything from appeal? I was denied without giving reason after pending review. Not sure what is wrong because I never arrest or something. One thing I remember is that I took pic in the security zone in the airport six years ago and the officials asked me to delete all the pics and write down my personal information. They said they will investigate and contact me if there is an issue. I never receive any response from them.
Do not know if related to this incident.
flywithme27 is offline   Reply With Quote