Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Is Global Entry now pointless?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM

I may be speaking from a unique situation, as I have only arrived at DTW from international flights recently... but it appears that they have abandoned the process of stopping to talk to Customs after retrieving your baggage (instead using the system the rest of the world seems to use where you voluntarily declare, with random searches).
They also now have kiosks that seem to operate the same as GE kiosks, available to all travelers.

So, is there any benefit to GE once this becomes commonplace? With a checked bag, the dedicated Customs line was really the only benefit left anyway, as speeding through Immigration was rendered moot by waiting for a bag anyway. Thoughts?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Still worth it at JFK/MIA even with the APC kiosk as customs has a "priority lane" and also PreCheck.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: Still working on being loyal
I use global entry monthly back to the states. Still worth it at every airport I've arrived. I'm off the plane and in the car at most places in under 6 mins with carry on. I time it! ^
Old Mar 13, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
Originally Posted by seawolf
Still worth it at JFK/MIA even with the APC kiosk as customs has a "priority lane" and also PreCheck.
Have to agree, at MIA with no checked bags can be airside in minutes.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Absolutely still worth it, even at a less busy international airport you are still going to get through faster than everyone. JFK, MIA, and ATL have always been my typical points of entry and GE gets me through in minutes and I'm almost always the first (along with any other GE members from my flight) at the baggage carousel while other passengers arrive 5-10 mins later (which may not seem like a long time to some). The benefits of having Pre-Check and also a much shorter line at customs is also a big plus. Anyone that has arrived at JFK during busy times when several international flights arrive knows just how much it helps.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Also useful at pre-clearance locations where you get GE privileges rather than having to go through regular immigration.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Its very worth it. Removes nearly all need to talk to CBP agents, except at the airports that seem to try and follow their own rules (ORD comes to mind).
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
It is definitely still worth it in the situations where you want to get past the crowds, and you get TSA Pre to boot.

-Patrick
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N1120A
Its very worth it. Removes nearly all need to talk to CBP agents, except at the airports that seem to try and follow their own rules (ORD comes to mind).
That's not been my usual experience at ORD, which is my home airport. They did once have a table set up for CBP to check your GE receipt, but that was definitely the exception and not the rule. I guess it depends on timing and what other thing they have going on that day, but that could be said for ANY re-entry point.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:57 am

Took direct CUN-MKE Delta flight last Saturday. Flight attendants did not hand out forms to US citizens so I assumed MKE had APC kiosks. When I got there, I saw 2 Global Entry kiosks (MKE not listed as GE airport) so I used one. Out the door in about 2 minutes with carryon.

The rest of passengers were rather upset to find out no APC and handed forms to fill out.

ps. GE kiosk spit out form that was at least 2 feet long..... must have been new machine.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
GE is typically faster for me than APC when I come home via ORD. I time it as many of my coworkers do not have GE.

If you fly domestically, you have to include the benefit of a high percentage of Pre-Check as well.

All in all I think is definitely worth it.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cheltzel
GE is typically faster for me than APC when I come home via ORD. I time it as many of my coworkers do not have GE.

If you fly domestically, you have to include the benefit of a high percentage of Pre-Check as well.

All in all I think is definitely worth it.
You can think of it as a $15 add-on to PreCheck at this point, right?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
GE costs $100 and TSA-PRE costs $85. Both for 5 years. That amounts to $3/year presuming you want PRE for departures. If you fly once every 2 months, that amounts to $0.50 per departure for GE over Pre.

Not particularly much.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
GE costs $100 and TSA-PRE costs $85. Both for 5 years. That amounts to $3/year presuming you want PRE for departures. If you fly once every 2 months, that amounts to $0.50 per departure for GE over Pre.

Not particularly much.
Nexus is even cheaper. $50 for 5 years. If you time it right by getting it right after your birthday, you might get it for 5 years, 11 months.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:53 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
I have yet to see a line for the GE machines. I see them more times than not for the APC machines, and they're not helped by people no having a clue what they're supposed to do at the APC machines, although that will change over time. Once I've cleared the GE machine in ~2 minutes I'm out through the GE customs line in ~3 minutes including walking, while the APC users line up as usual. In most instances I'm out of the airport in under 7 minutes - or 10 minutes for DFW because they make you walk further for no good reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.