Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:23 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
PreCheck at JFK

(1)At around 5:00 AM TSA P-C is very conjested *
(2)From past flts. in the AM, TSA sometimes does "random" extra security: pat downs, puffer machines
(3)on 2/6 there were lots of shoe removals (which I'm certain was random), since I don't think the detector macines can disnguish shoe metal from other metal(?). My shoes (slip-ons) with minimal metal have never caused TSA problems in the past. [My belt with more metal than my shoes, didn't set any alarms!]
Anyone note this issue on 2/6?
PS: Shoe removal is better than pat downs in any event.^
*The "randoms" help to cause (1).
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Last couple of times I have used Precheck at JFK it has been very congested. However, it was clear that almost all of the people in the Precheck line were not Global Entry or Elites and had been randomly selected for Precheck. Not sure how the random selection works but you'd think they would minimize at times of congestion.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Last couple of times I have used Precheck at JFK it has been very congested. However, it was clear that almost all of the people in the Precheck line were not Global Entry or Elites and had been randomly selected for Precheck. Not sure how the random selection works but you'd think they would minimize at times of congestion.
If you are going to carry out security checks, then it makes sense to not reduce them due to congestion. Notice, I said "if'... They same "if" i use when i say if you are going to search people, then don't make exceptions for children, etc. I have heard of complaints about this, but there have been multiple recent bombings where children were used. Not on planes, but that doesn't mean sacrificing children isn't beyond what terrorist will do.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by mvoight
If you are going to carry out security checks, then it makes sense to not reduce them due to congestion. Notice, I said "if'... They same "if" i use when i say if you are going to search people, then don't make exceptions for children, etc. I have heard of complaints about this, but there have been multiple recent bombings where children were used. Not on planes, but that doesn't mean sacrificing children isn't beyond what terrorist will do.
I think the point was that the TSA process randomly picks people out and sends them through precheck, this should not be done at peak times as it causes congestion. Clearly many people end up going through precheck who have no clue what is going on, are trying to remove shoes/take off jackets when there are no bins for this, generally stumbling and making the congestion worse. I get they are trying to publicize the program, but it can be self-defeating in a place like JFK at peak times.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i did this yesterday at about 8am. it was a disaster. they put SO MANY FAMILIES and stroller people who have no clue what to do in this line here...and the line was snaking around after they check your pass.

it is a serious mess when they put the most experienced with the least experienced people in the same security line.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by nrr
I don't think the detector macines can disnguish shoe metal from other metal
Actually they can. The TSA agent can see the approximate location of where the metal is that set off the alarm, so should have a good sense of whether it's likely from shoes or from something around the mid-section (a belt or a cell phone in a pocket).
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:12 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this topic is not specific to AA or the AAdvantage program, we'll move this to the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum. Thanks. JY1024, AAdvantage co-moderator
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:56 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
Actually they can. The TSA agent can see the approximate location of where the metal is that set off the alarm, so should have a good sense of whether it's likely from shoes or from something around the mid-section (a belt or a cell phone in a pocket).
But (as I noted in my OP), the slip on shoes I was wearing never set off the detector in the past [lots of trips through JFK T8]--but lots of people, were being sent back for shoe removal.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:12 am

JFK Terminal 8 Pre-check is more often than not a labyrinthine mess.

I use it roughly twice a month, and it's been terrible for the past year or so.

At 6am on Saturday, 7 February, there were two pairs of lanes open on opposite ends of the security checkpoint. In order to ease the crowding at the general line (I presume), people were randomly being sent to the pre-check line *before* the ID check, and beyond the ID check, the pre-check line and the family line merged on the right side, while the general line and the priority line merged on the left side. There were more than 200 people on the various lines (I had plenty of time to count 150 of them while I was waiting).
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Blumie
???

I thought one of the selling points (ha!) of the NoS was that it allowed the TSO to narrow done the areas to be searched more thoroughly. The WTMD did not. That's why TSOs used to wand the entire body when a pax alarmed - there was no way to be sure how many areas were involved in triggering the alarm: might be just a belt buckle, might be a belt buckle and a big knife strapped to an ankle.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:11 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

i used T8 on 2/11/15 at around 3:45 PM--the lines for pre-check were as bad then as in the moning; they had only ONE agent checking id and docs (so that line had gown to over 20 people)--they made an agent change+ opened another check podium...that helped.
In LAS pre-check is much better, but not like it was when p-c first started, where I would be the ONLY one on line.
In theory, P-C is a great system, but the way they do at JFK is a disaster.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by mvoight
(Bolding mine)

This. If they were really worried about security (and I use it in the same sense that you do), they would assume that terrorists would learn to come to the airport at busy times. Or use children.

Further proof that the TSA exists only as a glorified PR stunt. As soon as realize that they are going to lose a particular battle, they change their minds, even if it makes the checkpoint "less secure." The agency exists for one, and only one goal: self-perpetuation.

Mike
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
TSA Pre at JFK T8 on Feb 23

In their wisdom, the TSA simply closed Pre Check at JFK T8 altogether today.

Those entitled to use P-C were told to queue in AA's "Priority Lane", which of course is anything but priority. Getting to ID check took 35 minutes (at 11am, so hardly peak time for T8). The ID check agent stamped the BP with "TSA Pre", which meant I didn't have to take my shoes off or go through the body scanner. So "Pre Check Lite".

Is closing TSA Pre common at JFK T8? If it is, I'll avoid T8 like the plague in future. It's a truly badly run terminal.

NYLON Boy

Last edited by NYLON Boy; Feb 23, 2015 at 9:38 am
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
IME, during non-peak hours, it's pretty common to close PreCheck at a huge number of airports. Sucks that the priority lane was still 35 minutes till ID check though...
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:20 am

I went through JFK T4 on 2/27 and noticed the Pre-TSA line and the Airline Elite line both merged in to the Pre-TSA baggage check (after boarding pass scan). Most in the line had no idea they were in the Pre-TSA line and were taking off shoes, laptops out, looking for bins, etc. This was not a random selection, everyone in the elite line went through PreTSA. Is the TSA clueless or are they doing this on purpose?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.