Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Premier line vs TSA Pre-Check line

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

So I have a trip coming up tomorrow and I'm both TSA Pre-Check and Premier Access eligible, flying out of SEA. I have heard that the Pre-Check lines have become significantly longer as more people have started joining the program.

I don't really want the hassle of having to remove my shoes, etc. but I also don't want to have to wait too long in a line. Which would you choose and why? (Obviously it depends on the general length at the time I'm there)

Last edited by JoshGlzBrk; Dec 17, 2014 at 6:30 pm
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
Just look at the lines and decide on the spot.

There is no way for anyone to predict what will be the exact situation at the airport...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Earlier this year, my wife was in PreCheck, and I was in Premier at the D gate security checkpoint in SEA. Premier line was a little shorter, but neither was very long

Wife made it through 10 minutes ahead of me. The Premier line just gets you to the boarding pass/ID check a bit faster, after that, you're in with random people.

Always go PreCheck - not having to wait for the backscatter saves a lot of time, as as does having everyone ahead of you better prepared for travel.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM

the shortest?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
No one is going to be able to provide anything but generalities, and mostly at another airport.

AS noted - go to the airport, see which line is shorter. Once you're in, watch the flow rate and calculate which appears to be faster. Don't wait too long, as switching would require a restart.

Keep in mind the ease of pre-check - shoes, magnetometer, etc., and think about whether that's more important than saving 2 minutes.

And don't forget the "normal" line. I've blown by my "preferred" co-workers on several Monday mornings, as there is a large number of "preferreds" going through a single lane and the normal lane has 2 or more TSA folks.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All ties go to Pre-Check. A properly operated PC line, and I stress "properly", ought to be able to move 3-4 pax through in the time that the other lines move 1. Shoes, jackets, laptops, 3-1-1 bags and the like all take time.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Just keep in mind that TSA precheck at SEA is only available until early Evening.

Jiburi
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
I would say pre-check without question. I would even wait a little longer to not be hassled by taking off shoes, liquids, jackets ect.

Additionally if you go through the Premier line they are probably going to try to funnel you to pre-check once they see you have it anyway. I dont know that I have ever seen a premier line be faster than the precheck line but YMMV.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cl.lurker
the shortest?
Not in this case. The ability to keep everything in your bag, shoes on and most importantly avoid the nude-o-scope trumps everything else.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Often1
All ties go to Pre-Check. A properly operated PC line, and I stress "properly", ought to be able to move 3-4 pax through in the time that the other lines move 1. Shoes, jackets, laptops, 3-1-1 bags and the like all take time.
That's been my experience. I don't think I've ever waited more than 7 minutes in a Pre-Check line. It's almost always a short line of experienced travelers who fly right through.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Using my home airport of RDU as a basis, the line to check IDs is typically longer for PC than for premium/priority access, but once you get past that point, PC blows the other line away. PC has been around long enough that even the PC "lottery winners" seem to understand they don't have to remove shoes, laptops, etc., so things tend to go pretty smoothly once the IDs have been cleared. YMMV, but I would stick with PC.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Pre-check, for the reasons already stated above.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Titanium
I agree with most comments above, almost always take precheck. Had my first bad experience with precheck a few days ago flying out of LAS, but the average experience is way better. Had first timers in the precheck line, which slowed things down, still think it was faster just not use to it being slow.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
you should be able to see both lines

Originally Posted by cl.lurker
the shortest?
just look them over and make the choice once you can evaluate how long or complicated the lines seem. Beware of large groups with children. They inevitable take much longer to get through security.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by milepig
Not in this case. The ability to keep everything in your bag, shoes on and most importantly avoid the nude-o-scope trumps everything else.
Ditto! Even going through DCA at peak times, PC is generally faster. Departing from BOS on Sunday nights, it's never taken more than five minutes to print out a ticket from the kiosk and get through security with PC. PC is the best thing TSA ever did. Keep the lines full so they add more of them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.