Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tmiw
Just curious how that works. Do I wait in immigration/customs with the rest of the family I'm traveling with or do I use the GE kiosks anyway? I would think that I'd need to wait with the rest of the group because it's one customs form per family but I could be wrong on that.
Assuming you are traveling together and constitute a common household, you should preferably go through the same line together; and even if you go separately, you should declare that your household members are split in different lines. You can't use the GE kiosk line together with non-GE passengers, so make your decision around their inability to use the GE line.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Assuming you are traveling together and constitute a common household, you should preferably go through the same line together; and even if you go separately, you should declare that your household members are split in different lines. You can't use the GE kiosk line together with non-GE passengers, so make your decision around their inability to use the GE line.
That's what I was thinking. I knew they couldn't use the GE kiosks but it's probably easier to just wait in line with everyone else. Though, my mom does travel abroad ~1x/yr on her own so maybe I can convince her to get it.

If everyone were to get GE, would we all put the same thing on the customs declarations (e.g. if one of our suitcases has candy, say "Yes" to food for all of them)?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tmiw
That's what I was thinking. I knew they couldn't use the GE kiosks but it's probably easier to just wait in line with everyone else. Though, my mom does travel abroad ~1x/yr on her own so maybe I can convince her to get it.

If everyone were to get GE, would we all put the same thing on the customs declarations (e.g. if one of our suitcases has candy, say "Yes" to food for all of them)?
It depends on whether you want to risk some petty little Napoleon in the government making a fuss about it. At least with cash, if you have $6,000 and your other household members have amongst them $5000, each and every member of the same household should declare that they have more than $10k -- otherwise there is a risk of being considered to have failed to make a required declaration and being separated from the money.

Think about it this way: if you were filling out one joint paper customs declaration form, what would it look like and what would the consequences of that be. I would have everyone in the household mention food on the declaration form.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 7, 2015 at 11:17 am
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
Global entry question [Non-GE companion luggage question]

Returning to JFK from CDG with my brother, who does not have global entry. I assume I cannot claim him as a "family member". However, does anyone see any problem with checking both of our suitcases under my name to facilitate clearing customs at JFK? I figure I'll use global entry and wait for the suitcases while he crawls through the arrival wine but then, assuming I don't get the dreaded X, we should be able to more expeditiously get out of the terminal.

Flying in J if that matters.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Global entry question

Correct that he will not be able to go through GOES with you.

My experience at JFK is that the luggage can take a lot of time so he may well catch up with you. But you can check his bag as yours. It may not save much time but who knows. You can walk out together.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
Correct that he will not be able to go through GOES with you.
Small thing, but GOES is the acronym for the Global Online Enrollment System, not for Global Entry. GOES handles enrollment in a variety of trusted traveler systems, including Global Entry, but they are not the same.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming you trust your brother not to pack a raisin in his suitcase, go for it.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Agree with FirstInFlight that its a crap shoot at JFK. We came back from CDG in October and it took forever to get our bags, even with Priority tags on them. Can't say Global Entry helped much in that situation other than actually going through the Customes/Imigration check.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:09 pm

We've had very, very mixed experiences with the global entry. Sometimes, we been at the taxi stand within 20 minutes of arrival at the gate. Other times, not quite so lucky. I know that my brother and I will be pretty beat, having gotten up at 4 AM to return the car at TLV, try to take him to see the sights of Paris during the seven hour layover, and then the trip back to JFK. Even a few minutes shaved off the total time will likely be a godsend!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
From the other threads you've posted, I believe you're on the A380 flight into T1. If so, 99% likely that your brother catches up to you before your bags do. AF takes forever to unload the A380 and priority bags often don't come out first. In terms of checking the bag, sure do whatever you want. It probably won't make any difference in timing, as others have suggested.

In terms of exiting customs (where there is a faster Global Entry exit that you can use, but your brother can't), I strongly recommend you each take your own bag through if you don't exit together.

In summary: Global Entry is unlikely to shave even a few minutes off your trip since you are traveling together.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:23 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by bennos
In terms of exiting customs (where there is a faster Global Entry exit that you can use, but your brother can't), I strongly recommend you each take your own bag through if you don't exit together.

In summary: Global Entry is unlikely to shave even a few minutes off your trip since you are traveling together.
Basically, what bennos says. If you desire to exit with all bags, it's best to just check them under your name. As a medallion in J on Air France you get 3 bags (2 + 1 extra) so there is no reason why you can't check-in with both bags under your name.

But, this is such a non-issue since you need to ultimately wait for your brother anyway. Even if you get out of customs more quickly, if the non GE customs exit (bag observation/check) is long, your brother is still stuck in it. Also, by the book your brother cannot exit using the GE exit (with you). I tried that once (with a friend) at BOS. So, it's not just the kiosks (immigration) but also exiting (customs). Of course, YMMV, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is enforced at more airports than just where I tested it (BOS).

My overall observation that when traveling with non-GE peeps; it's hardly even worth the effort. I just wait for them at baggage claim. Luckily, my entire family now has GE. Something I strongly suggest, even for those who travel infrequently. One time pain, to gain seamless travel (and entry into the USA) for years and years to come.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta PM
Quick question, OP mentioned claiming someone as a "family member" with GE. Does that mean if my wife has GE and I'm travelling with her I would be able to be claimed by her and use GE as well?

I ask because I was denied GE and she was approved. Trying to decide if it's even worth her moving forward at this point.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:29 am

I will be flying 777 300ER. I guess the advice make sense. Brothers pushing 60 and this is his second trip outside of the US not on a cruise ship so I don't think global entry is in his future.

Btw, POST#1000!!!!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:30 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Quick question, OP mentioned claiming someone as a "family member" with GE. Does that mean if my wife has GE and I'm travelling with her I would be able to be claimed by her and use GE as well?

I ask because I was denied GE and she was approved. Trying to decide if it's even worth her moving forward at this point.
NO. You can only use Global Entry Kiosks if you are approved for Global Entry. You can't even use them if traveling with an infant. (as an example)

<deleted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 3, 2017 at 3:01 pm Reason: Off topic
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

The new home for this discussion is now the Trusted Travelers forum, as the topic really has nothing to do with Delta Air Lines or the SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.