Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Global Entry is specific to an individual who has been vetted by the application and interview process. You cannot take your spouse or offspring along with you.
It was not my intent to take them to the kiosk, but to use the kiosk myself and have Mrs. Sinanju talk to the officer assigned to the GE lane -- or if we have to enter on the same customs declaration, both of us talk to that officer.

That said, I just had my interview at BOS and asked this question when going through the kiosk procedures and was told "no".

Of course, I'll ask an officer on the spot when entering the country with her after vaca in May. Since this is only an issue for us once per year, it's not worth her going through the GE process herself.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
What is one supposed to do when returning to the US with a child who does not have GE? I've been standing in the regular line, but the preceding posts make me wonder whether I can use the kiosk and fill in the blue form for the child or for both of us. Does anyne have experience in this area?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
What is one supposed to do when returning to the US with a child who does not have GE? I've been standing in the regular line, but the preceding posts make me wonder whether I can use the kiosk and fill in the blue form for the child or for both of us. Does anyne have experience in this area?

As far as the rules go, you're allowed to use the kiosk yourself, but the child has to see the CBP officer at the primary (passport control) station. He or she then needs his own blue form, though you do not.

As a matter of practicality, I'm guessing you'd get away with getting your card from the kiosk then bringing the kid to the front of the line (as if you had gotten an X) rather than being separated from your kid while he waits in line, or waiting in line yourself.

You could always visit the CBP station (where they do GE interviews) on your way to your outbound flight and ask. I've found them extremely helpful when I've walked in unannounced and said "Can you help me with a quick GE question?"

In the end though, and the above posts seem to corroborate, it seems to be dependent on the particular agent that's manning the booth next to the GE kiosk whether you can do this.

Last edited by UshuaiaHammerfest; Jul 10, 2012 at 10:01 pm
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
If you read through the various GE threads, some people have had success using the kiosk and then skipping the line with the kid. But this is not officially allowed (or at least there's nothing saying it is).

I took the safe route and applied for GE for my child, so no issues going forward.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:09 am

When I had applied last year at EWR they said EWR allows kids under 14 to go with parent to front of line, but when I was there recently the officer at the booth by the machine said now that the kids can get their own they need to do that or go on line.
interested to hear if recently anyone has had different experience at EWR
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:28 pm

When I had my GE interview last month, I was told that each person using the kiosk must have GE. If you are traveling with family members (even children) and they do not have GE they must wait in line. He said that people are often confused by this and try to bring their family and/or kids through and they have to be sent back. This was at PHL.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: OW Em (AA EXP+5MM), AA CK, Delta Silver, UA 1K
I just called CBP on this topic. I have GE but my wife does not. I asked if I could use kiosk and take her to the front of the line. He told me in no uncertain terms that I could NOT do that. In fact, he told me that this was a good way for me to lose my GE privileges. Wow, that would be a downside I had not thought of - I just figured worst case, when I went to the station next to the kiosk, they might send me to the back of the line.

Sounds like not worth the risk, unless you get someone to tell you ahead of time at that station that they are ok with it.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by magellan01
I just called CBP on this topic. I have GE but my wife does not. I asked if I could use kiosk and take her to the front of the line. He told me in no uncertain terms that I could NOT do that. In fact, he told me that this was a good way for me to lose my GE privileges. Wow, that would be a downside I had not thought of - I just figured worst case, when I went to the station next to the kiosk, they might send me to the back of the line.

Sounds like not worth the risk, unless you get someone to tell you ahead of time at that station that they are ok with it.

That's correct. Anyone who is not a GE member in good standing must wait in line (except if in a wheelchair or with Express Connection or other extenuating circumstances).

The once or twice a year when I'm traveling with others, I do one of the two following things:

either:

1) wait in the Citizen/LPR line with my companion(s) until we get to the front, and then I head to the kiosk while the others go through regular processing

or

2) I go directly to the kiosk, go through, and then await my companion(s) in the baggage claim area

The first option is friendlier, but can be less efficient if you have checked bags, as the first person to clear passport control can begin to retrieve them....assuming you're at an airport that delivers bags relatively quickly.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Non-NEXUS GE members can use NEXUS lanes when returning to the US from Canada. EVERYONE in the car must have NEXUS or GE. Attempting to use the NEXUS lane with non-NEXUS/non-GE passengers aboard is considered a violation which can result in revocation for everyone in the car.

I was also told at my NEXUS interview that only NEXUS members could use the NEXUS lines at airports. Perhaps the U.S. officers are more lenient about this in the airports...
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:37 pm

Traveling with Non-GE Companion / Family Member

Hi there,

I'm about to leave on a one-week vacation to Mexico with a friend who doesn't have GE. I want to wait in line with her when we get back so she doesn't have to wait alone. Should I just fill out the paper declaration on the plane, and when I get up to the passport person, should I say I have GE and why I didn't use the kiosk? Not say anything? I don't want to make the passport person annoyed. What's the best course of action here?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by whitearrow
Hi there,

I'm about to leave on a one-week vacation to Mexico with a friend who doesn't have GE. I want to wait in line with her when we get back so she doesn't have to wait alone. Should I just fill out the paper declaration on the plane, and when I get up to the passport person, should I say I have GE and why I didn't use the kiosk? Not say anything? I don't want to make the passport person annoyed. What's the best course of action here?
GE members who are US citizens don't need to use the GE kiosks and can be processed by CBP employees in any and all of the lines. So skip the GE kiosks and do it like others who aren't GE members. Going with or behind your friend should be fine, at least if you are both US persons; if either one or both of you is not a US person, then using the "visitors" lines with her should be fine. Just have separate printed declaration forms completed [although that isn't generally necessary when one or both of you are using the (non-GE) APC kiosks.]
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:53 pm

We're both US citizens. Thank you very much.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by whitearrow
Hi there,

You'd fill out the paper 6059B on the plane or you and your friend would use the Automated Passport Control kiosks, then see an officer.

Last edited by dustman81; Dec 10, 2014 at 6:46 pm
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:51 pm

Thank you dustman.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Traveling with family who doesn't have GE

Just curious how that works. Do I wait in immigration/customs with the rest of the family I'm traveling with or do I use the GE kiosks anyway? I would think that I'd need to wait with the rest of the group because it's one customs form per family but I could be wrong on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.