Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Secondary Screening with Global Entry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Secondary Screening with Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:36 am
kb9

Programs: DL, EK AI
Reviving this year-old thread because I went through the same experience again when flying from Auckland to SFO last week.

I got an X at the GE kiosk and the agent said he's unable to process me at the booth. Went to secondary, where they asked me to take a seat for 15-20 mins while they make some phone calls. The officer was puzzled that I got flagged and asked if this happens often. I replied that I have a common name of South Asia origin, so it's been a frequent occurrence.

As discussed earlier in the thread-- the GE for me implies nothing more than expedited entry into secondary! I'd like to ask whether this is a fate I should resign myself to or is there anything I can do to appeal to the powers that be?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
This happened to mr. squeakr a couple of times

He was advised at the airport to go into the global entry office and speak with one of the agents there. He did that Months later, the agent disappeared for a few minutes, came back and said you should be all set. Never revealed what he did or how he fixed it, but there's been no problems since then.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

When I first got Global Entry, they explained that if I was called to secondary, I would get priority. I thought that was a nice perk. I'm sure it's a "YMMV" situation.

I've had the "X" a couple of times, and it's always been incredibly quick.

My dad was getting the "X" on a constant basis. He never had to wait longer than a few minutes, but he eventually got his redress number.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just today, arriving at JFK from MAD on AA, I went to the GE kiosk, everything was fine, spoke with the agent who looked at my slip, I joked that the machine never gives you enough time to actually look at the camera, and he joked that he always has to help people who mess it up and get no picture. Asked if I had any fruit or agricultural products. No. Any currency over $10,000. No. Overall pleasant.

As I was exiting Customs, after the baggage carousels (I only had carry-on), the agent who sits at that little desk waved me over, and had me put my backpack and small duffel bag through the screener. He asked where I was coming from (Madrid) asked if I had brought back any Spanish meats or anything (No.) Took my passport to his desk.

My bag as bulging a little bit because I just had a lot of stuff in it. The woman at the scanner asked what I had in the side pockets. I replied just liquids, toiletries. She opened one and then closed it, asked the agent that stopped me if I could go. He gave me back my passport, and I was on my way.

I was in a LOT of airports over the past week (entered BEY by way of DOH, then to MAD by way of AMM)...Not sure if they knew that, or if he looked at my passport stamp for BEY.

Immigration officer at the GE exit must have spent all of 7 seconds with my passport, so not sure if he flagged anything. If he did, I imagine I would have been screened right there, rather than him indicating to the customs dude to have me put my bag through the scanner. Do they communicate with each other?

Seems like it could have been totally random, but not sure if something set them off (bulging bag, BEY stamp)...
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I've gotten 4 secondaries with GE, all were customs, one was declaration related. Only time I was over DF limit, I declared and got the X (no O then) and the passport guy seemed annoyed that I even declared. He stamped the receipt and wrote "duty" on it. I presented at customs and they reviewed the goods and receipt and charged me the duty.

Once, coming back from MGA via PTY, they seemed to be doing a dragnet on that flight, with a bunch of people getting sent to secondary customs. I was placed first in line and a very polite supervisor handled it, which was due to my GE status.

The other two seemed to be ag secondaries, with me just having to send my bags through the machine and go. On the last one, two of us in GE got ag secondaries and the guy working the machine was PISSED that they were clogging up the line with trusted travellers, apologizing profusely.

Originally Posted by kb9
I am a green card holder with Global Entry. Today was my 2nd time using it to enter the US. My first time was from Brussels to Newark and the experience was a breeze. While using it at the YYZ Preclearance, I got a X on my receipt and was referred to the CBP booth, who then took me to secondary. After a 15 min wait, I was sent on my way. And when I asked why this happened, I was told it was either due to my having a common name or because the first CBP who initially checked my "X" made a mistake.

This frequent secondary screening is precisely why I got GE in the first place. I don't understand why I'd get secondary if I went through the background check process. Did I just flush $100 down the toilet? TSA Precheck is a nice perk though.
If it is just once, don't worry about it. It will happen once in a while.

Originally Posted by nrr
At JFK T-8, about 2 years ago, I was randomly selected for a "SURVEY INTERVIEW" (very short): "business or pleasure", "how was long I away", "where did I return from". (or other similar type of questions)

That doesn't suggest a survey, but instead what seems to happen at LAX all the time.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
I've had GE for years. Last year I entered with two cases of wine and, as expected, got thrown into secondary. Entered a large room which was packed with well over 50 waiting people. It was lunch time so no processing.

A clerk (not agent) greeted (term used loosely of course) me, took my papers and passport. As she put them into a clear packet and was about to put them into the back of an ordered line of said 50 files she saw something, turned and asked if I was GE. I said yes and she smiled(!) ... as she moved my file to the front of that line.

They soon came back from lunch and I was first to be called. I could feel the disdain from the 50. [processing was easy and quick: what do you have ... $nnn worth of wine ... ok, $nn duty, pay as you leave] I did ask how long the GE saved me and the guy looked at the crowd and said about 2-3 hours. Also said prioritizing GE was a standard practice.

So GE IS worth it even more.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by N1120A
Originally Posted by nrr
At JFK T-8, about 2 years ago, I was randomly selected for a "SURVEY INTERVIEW" (very short): "business or pleasure", "how was long I away", "where did I return from". (or other similar type of questions)
That doesn't suggest a survey, but instead what seems to happen at LAX all the time.
Since I got Global Entry in 2014, I have never been asked such questions at LAX or any other port of entry, including JFK.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:41 pm
kb9

Programs: DL, EK AI
Originally Posted by kb9
Reviving this year-old thread because I went through the same experience again when flying from Auckland to SFO last week.

I got an X at the GE kiosk and the agent said he's unable to process me at the booth. Went to secondary, where they asked me to take a seat for 15-20 mins while they make some phone calls. The officer was puzzled that I got flagged and asked if this happens often. I replied that I have a common name of South Asia origin, so it's been a frequent occurrence.

As discussed earlier in the thread-- the GE for me implies nothing more than expedited entry into secondary! I'd like to ask whether this is a fate I should resign myself to or is there anything I can do to appeal to the powers that be?
As expected, on a recent entry into JFK, the GE kiosk once again "X'ed" me (I'm 4/4 so far this year). This time the CBP officer was more sympathetic. Before sending me to the obligatory 5 min check in secondary, she asked me to call a specific person at the original GE enrollment center to see if something on my file needs to get rectified. The person I called at the GE enrollment center was nice enough to accommodate my request, but said she can't do anything with my file because my 'X' is being triggered automatically by me having a common name. I'm basically considering adding a middle name so I can distinguish myself from my unscrupulous namesake. At least I got the closure I needed. Oh well! at least being the first one to get in and out of secondary isn't a bad perk.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta
Have Global Entry but still interviewed by customs

Hi all,

Anyone with Global Entry still get interviewed by customs when handing in your photo slip? Normally I just hand in my photo slip to the person manning the Global Entry line and they only ask if I have anything to declare but when returning to the US via US customs at Pearson Toronto they still went through the whole usual customs interview for a few minutes, rescanned my passport etc. Has anyone else had this issue? Global Entry seems like a waste of time and money if they end up interviewing you anyway. Coming into Canada they only asked me one question! It was easier entering Canada than returning to the US!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
How many times did that happen? If just the once, if take it as a one-off and just move on.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:37 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Karl Itos!

As your question is about Global Entry, we will shift your thread over to the Trusted Travelers forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:26 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I believe it’s not uncommon at the Canadian preclearance facilities due to a variety of factors
Old Apr 18, 2018, 12:34 pm

GE doesn't exempt you from Customs inquiry, it just makes it very rare. You can still be randomly selected for further questioning, or if there's something a bit off, like someone returning from a weekend trip across the border with four suitcases.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
I have been through preclearance using Global Entry at YYZ and YVR frequently in recent years. My passport has always been scanned by the CBP officer, and we have always had a brief conversation.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
YYZ they usually won't talk to you, you usually don't even have to stop if you have a receipt without an O or X and have no checked baggage. It depends, I've been questioned occasionally through YYZ though.

Always had a couple basic questions when going through YVR and YUL preclearance though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.