Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E50k, AvisFirst, HHonors Diamond

I am a Nexus holder, but I have to travel on Tuesday and I do not have my Canada passport because I had to submit it for a visa application and will not get it back in time.

I know sometimes the US agent will ask to see my passport at YYZ preclearance, but would I be able to travel without it?

From http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr...er/nexus_prog/

NEXUS cards are WHTI-compliant documents for land and sea travel, as well as air travel when traveling to and from airports using the NEXUS program, and provide expedited travel via land, air or sea to approved members between the U.S. and Canada border.
And from http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr...prog/nexus.xml

The NEXUS alternative inspection program has been completely harmonized and integrated into a single program. NEXUS members now have crossing privileges at air, land, and marine ports of entry. Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, the NEXUS card has been approved as an alternative to the passport for air, land, and sea travel into the United States for US and Canadian citizens.
and finally from https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det.../619/related/1

All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or an Air NEXUS card when departing from a designated Canadian airport.

Last edited by beef; Jul 9, 2011 at 7:57 am
Old Jul 9, 2011, 8:56 am

From what you quoted, it would appear that you should be fine.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:05 am

From here:

Canadian citizens flying to the United States must present a valid passport to confirm their citizenship and identity. A NEXUS card, when using a self-serve kiosk at designated Canadian airports, is also acceptable.
If there is any issue at all with the NEXUS machines, for example, you must have a passport.

I would definitely not take the chance of travelling without a passport and trying to argue my case with the CBP/INS.

The other issue is that the airline, on your return trip, will not accept your NEXUS card and will insist on seeing a passport.

You're better off crossing the land border and flying from BUF, I would think.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by okazon69

If there is any issue at all with the NEXUS machines, for example, you must have a passport.
Actually, the US side allows cards only. Its the Canadians who REQUIRE a passport to be carried when using NEXUS Air. Indeed, I've had the NEXUS machines out of service twice on the US side at YYZ and both times the crew lane agent used my NEXUS card.

I would definitely not take the chance of travelling without a passport and trying to argue my case with the CBP/INS.
I'd worry a lot more about CBSA doing checks, which tends to happen more often than CBP bothering people.

The other issue is that the airline, on your return trip, will not accept your NEXUS card and will insist on seeing a passport.

You're better off crossing the land border and flying from BUF, I would think.
If you don't want to carry a passport, then that is the only way to do it.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by N1120A
Actually, the US side allows cards only. Its the Canadians who REQUIRE a passport to be carried when using NEXUS Air. Indeed, I've had the NEXUS machines out of service twice on the US side at YYZ and both times the crew lane agent used my NEXUS card.
What if the Canadian returns Canada from the USA without using NEXUS? CBSA does not require Canadians (or Americans for that matter) to have passport for travel from the USA.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...eldoc.html#-us
All passengers are required to present a valid passport or other valid travel document such as a Nexus card when travelling by air between Canada and the United States. NEXUS members are required to carry appropriate immigration and identity documents in addition to their NEXUS card.
So could OP show the airline his NEXUS card, and then show CBSA his birth certificate and DL?
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mre5765
So could OP show the airline his NEXUS card, and then show CBSA his birth certificate and DL?
It seems that Continental is perfectly happy t accept a NEXUS card:
Departure Requirements
U.S. law requires all customers, regardless of citizenship, age or destination, to hold a secure document to depart the United States by air (one-way or roundtrip itinerary). A secure document is a passport, U.S. permanent resident card, Refugee or Stateless travel document, Re-Entry Permit, NEXUS card, U.S Merchant Mariner Card, military ID, and emergency travel document issued by an embassy or consulate.
I'd assume other airlines will be as well. TIMATIC says essentially the same thing.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 7:08 am
Original Poster

So basd on all the information everyone kindly linked, it appears I can do this with just a nexus card, so long as I have my birth certificate with me in case the CBSA inspects. I'll be taking printouts of the various links discussed here in case I have to gently educate an agent. (that rarely works well...)

I'll post back if I run into trouble.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Actually, the CBSA's FAQ page about NEXUS says that you do need to have a passport with you, in addition to your NEXUS card:

NEXUS members who are permanent residents of Canada or the U.S. are still required to travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be requested to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html

When I was doing my NEXUS interview, the CBP officer made a point of saying that the NEXUS card was IN ADDITION TO my valid passport, but did not replace it.

I believe that the CBP page linked in the OP is incorrect. NEXUS is a WHTI-compliant document that is valid for entry into Canada by air, land, and sea, BUT for entry into the USA only by land, sea, and by air ONLY from a select number of Canadian airports that are equipped with the NEXUS kiosks.

The quote from this link: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr...prog/nexus.xml
....implies that NEXUS card is valid when entering the USA by air from anywhere. That is incorrect. Again, to the best of my knowledge, the NEXUS card is valid for entering the USA by air only when entering directly from one of the specific Canadian airports with the NEXUS kiosks.

Last edited by ESpen36; Jul 10, 2011 at 10:56 am
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now, it occurs to me that one reason for the confusion could be that all NEXUS members in good standing are automatically approved for GlobalEntry, which is the US-only program allowing use of kiosks at major US international airports for entry into the United States. However, the kiosks are NOT compatible with the NEXUS cards, as they use digital fingerprints rather than iris scans to verify identity. Furthermore, GlobalEntry requires inserting the MRZ of the passport book (or LPR card) into the kiosk.

So, for all of these reasons, I STRONGLY, STRONGLY recommend that all travelers carry their valid passport book with them at all times when traveling across any international border by air. In fact, I always carry my passport book with me when traveling by air ANYWHERE, even domestically. You never know when you might need to take a quick trip overseas!
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It seems that Continental is perfectly happy t accept a NEXUS card
I tried presenting my NEXUS card a while back on a flight from the US to Canada, and the gate agent insisted on seeing my passport. While Timatic may say otherwise, this is almost the same as the argument some of us here get into with the TSA about accepting NEXUS.

When the flight's about to leave, I don't think you want to be pushing the issue with the airline employee who gets to decide you're being belligerent and therefore a risk to the flight's safety....
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE

No. If you are using a NEXUS card for air travel, the Canadians demand that you carry your passport book.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
No. If you are using a NEXUS card for air travel, the Canadians demand that you carry your passport book.
So a cbsa officer is going to deny entry to a Canadian citizen upon landing if all he shows is his provincial birth certificate and photo ID? The cbsa constantly reiterates that it does not require a passport of Canadian and USA citizens.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:44 am
Original Poster

When the flight's about to leave, I don't think you want to be pushing the issue with the airline employee who gets to decide you're being belligerent and therefore a risk to the flight's safety....
Agreed. I plan to approach the GA well in advance of boarding to explain my situation and show that Air Canada's policy allows for it. I think the airline's major concern is that they will be fined if they transport a pasenger ineligible to enter the country, so I will be carrying my DL and birth certificate to satisfy that requirement.

Worse case should be that I re-enter Canada through a standard CBSA interview, not Nexus.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cbsa constantly reiterates that it does not require a passport of Canadian and USA citizens.
YES, but that rule is for travelers using the regular immigration lines. NEXUS members are trusted travelers, and I suppose are held to a higher standard. Also, what you mention is a blanket statement. Air travel has different requirements than land/sea travel, and quite a bit of US-Canadian travel is via land/sea.

Furthermore, thanks to WHTI, as of a couple of years ago the USA no longer accepts birth cert plus photo ID to enter the USA, even for US Citizens. To enter the USA, you must have a valid passport book if entering by air, UNLESS you are a NEXUS member entering via one of the Canadian airports that have NEXUS kiosks, in which case your NEXUS membership is sufficient, though CBP officers still could demand to see your passport at any time. I would not risk traveling without it.

If you are entering the USA by land or sea and you are arriving from location(s) exclusively within North America (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Bahamas, and/or Bermuda), you also have the option of presenting a WHTI-compliant document, such as a US Passport Card, NEXUS Card, SENTRI Card, FAST Card, Enhanced Driver License, TWIC, and I'm sure a couple of others that I am forgetting.

(If you are arriving in the USA by land/sea having visited any locations outside of North America [as defined above] since your previous US entry, then you must have your passport book. For example, if you flew nonstop from Europe to Antigua and then boarded a cruise to Miami, you would need your passport book to enter the USA at Miami.)

I suppose the bottom line here, folks, is that is always a smart idea to have your passport book with you when traveling by air across any international boundary. With other documents or combinations of documents, it becomes a game of "will they / won't they" and "will the CBSA / will the CBP accept." I'd rather not play that game. You KNOW that everyone will accept the passport book, so why not just travel with it?

And, a further note: if you are traveling internationally but currently do not have possession of your passport book because it is awaiting visa processing at an embassy for a future trip, just contact the NPIC. You might be able to get a second, limited-validity blue (tourist) passport to allow you to proceed with your first trip while your primary (10-year-valid) passport is awaiting visas, or is being renewed. In any event, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 2:10 pm

So a cbsa officer is going to deny entry to a Canadian citizen upon landing if all he shows is his provincial birth certificate and photo ID? The cbsa constantly reiterates that it does not require a passport of Canadian and USA citizens.
No, but they will take away their NEXUS card.

I'm sure a Canadian citizen can enter Canada with nothing but a Costco card once the CBSA has verified that they are indeed a citizen. However, that is not the subject of the thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.