Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with NEXUS without a Passport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
I always thought you needed a passport but cannot find corroborating evidence...

I always thought you needed your passport incase they ask to see it... but my reasoning may not have been sound.

From the Canadian Nexus site (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...g.html#_a3b2): When you travel using your NEXUS membership card, you must possess appropriate immigration documents (e.g. a work permit or a visa).

So I'm assuming you do NOT need a passport to enter Canada.

Does anyone know if this holds true for the US side? I can't find anything from the American side stating the need for a passport...
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DirtyDan
I always thought you needed your passport incase they ask to see it... but my reasoning may not have been sound.

From the Canadian Nexus site (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...g.html#_a3b2): When you travel using your NEXUS membership card, you must possess appropriate immigration documents (e.g. a work permit or a visa).

So I'm assuming you do NOT need a passport to enter Canada.

Does anyone know if this holds true for the US side? I can't find anything from the American side stating the need for a passport...
For US citizens - 22 U.S.C. § 53
For Canadians - 22 U.S.C. § 41

I bring my passport anyway due to airline agents insisting you have a passport.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 7, 2014 at 7:44 am
Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:22 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seawolf
I bring my passport anyway due to airline agents insisting you have a passport.
Airline agents are the main obstacle to NEXUS travelers without a passport.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:59 pm

Air Canada always nags me to show my passport at YYZ.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:14 pm

I found this thread today when looking for information on traveling to and from Canada from the United States without a passport. (I have applied for a business visa to India and they have my passport.)

The situation for permanent residents is different than citizens residing in their own country:

"NEXUS members who are permanent residents of Canada or the U.S. are still required to travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be requested to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border."

Second paragraph of this answer:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html#a10

So I won't be going to Canada until I get my passport back from the India Consulate.

It's different for permanent residents entering the United States:

"Requirements for lawful permanent residents of the United States are not changed by the implementation of WHTI. Lawful permanent residents must continue to present a valid Permanent Resident Card. A passport is not required."

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...ocs-air-travel

Last edited by scoow; Mar 10, 2015 at 7:56 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by mxm23
The situation for permanent residents is different than citizens residing in their own country:

"NEXUS members who are permanent residents of Canada or the U.S. are still required to travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be requested to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border."

Second paragraph of this answer:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html#a10

It's different for permanent residents entering the United States:

"Requirements for lawful permanent residents of the United States are not changed by the implementation of WHTI. Lawful permanent residents must continue to present a valid Permanent Resident Card. A passport is not required."

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...ocs-air-travel
That is very confusing. I am a Canadian citizen and resident who only recently became a Nexus holder. Transiting through YYZ kiosks required a passport scan and fingerprints.

But re-entering Canada from the U.S. through YYZ I need only the NEXUS card and a retinal scan.

Are the requirements different depending on residency or citizenship?

I have yet to do a land crossing. Do I need just the card or a passport too?

BTW, I love Nexus. Having it saved me when Delta fouled up my reservations before a lengthy business trip. Due to their delay I would never have made my flight without Nexus.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just bring both the card and passport. The way I see it is that NEXUS merely speed your crossing. It does not replace passport despite that it technically can.

You're going to run into confused/uninformed airline/border control personnel who will require the passport.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Land crossings require a WHTI compliant document. A passport book and a NEXUS card each meet that requirement - only one is necessary but the NEXUS card MUST be presented when using a NEXUS lane. I bring both, just in case I end up flying back for some odd reason (has happened) but am not asked for the passport when land crossing in either direction in the NEXUS lanes.

YYZ-->USA you go through US Customs & Immigration at YYZ Preclearance (and perform a de facto US border entry so the flight can arrive as a 'domestic' US flight), so you were using the Global Entry system included as part of NEXUS. This requires a passport and fingerprints at the kiosk. The same process would occur at the US POE if you flew from a non-Preclearance location.

Anywhere-->YYZ you enter Canada using NEXUS, which requires the card and an iris scan at the kiosk.

That is the reason for the differences.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:43 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
YYZ-->USA you go through US Customs & Immigration at YYZ Preclearance (and perform a de facto US border entry so the flight can arrive as a 'domestic' US flight), so you were using the Global Entry system included as part of NEXUS. This requires a passport and fingerprints at the kiosk.
The bold above is not true. Try your NEXUS card next time; it works in the GE kiosks at Canadian preclearance airports (but not at US airports).
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Ari
The bold above is not true. Try your NEXUS card next time; it works in the GE kiosks at Canadian preclearance airports (but not at US airports).
Thanks for the tip. I never thought to do that as the kiosk asks for the passport. I will give it a try on my next week. I'll still have my passport with me in any event.

This being the case the OP could then go into Canada and back into the U.S. through an airport with pre-clearance such as Toronto if the airline lets him on to the plane with just a Nexus card. I believe Air Canada would but can't say about the others.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
NEXUS use replaces passport use for border crossings between the U.S. and Canada -- even for border crossings by air on common carriers subject to the US WHTI -- for citizens of the US or Canada who are residents of the US or Canada.

While some airline reps are unfamiliar with this, they do generally have access to TIMATIC and should realize this when it is allowed as mentioned. The US and Canada border control employees are even less likely to be a show-slower than a show-slowing/show-stopping airline rep.

NEXUS members who are not resident citizens of the US or Canada need to be more careful, whether it is in dealing with airline reps or with the CBSA/CBP.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 13, 2015 at 9:42 am
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:33 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The airlines are the obstacle; CBP/CBSA seem to know the rules.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ari
The airlines are the obstacle; CBP/CBSA seem to know the rules.
Firstly, airline requirements don't necessarily need to match with customs requirements. So even if CBP/CBSA says a Nexus card is enough, an airline may require a passport for international travel. I've stopped trying to use my Nexus card when checking in - ex-US most check in kiosks won't read them, and agents usually request a passport anyway. Not worth the fight - much easier to just carry a passport.

As for whether CBP/CBSA requires it, I think that's still up for debate for air travel. When randomly sent to secondary, or declaring something and sent there, I've been asked for passport (sometimes, Nexus card also) probably at least half the time. I'd hate to have to have the fight about why I don't need it - truthfully, getting into that argument, whatever the rules specify, the traveller is always the loser. Always.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 3:37 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Not worth the fight - much easier to just carry a passport.
Spoken like someone who doesn't have to part with his passport often to get visas.

I'd hate to have to have the fight about why I don't need it - truthfully, getting into that argument, whatever the rules specify, the traveller is always the loser. Always.
It isn't a fight or argument because they tend to know the rules. Just because they ask for a passport at secondary (probably by rote) doesn't mean you are required to carry one with your NEXUS card.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Firstly, airline requirements don't necessarily need to match with customs requirements. So even if CBP/CBSA says a Nexus card is enough, an airline may require a passport for international travel. I've stopped trying to use my Nexus card when checking in - ex-US most check in kiosks won't read them, and agents usually request a passport anyway. Not worth the fight - much easier to just carry a passport.

As for whether CBP/CBSA requires it, I think that's still up for debate for air travel. When randomly sent to secondary, or declaring something and sent there, I've been asked for passport (sometimes, Nexus card also) probably at least half the time. I'd hate to have to have the fight about why I don't need it - truthfully, getting into that argument, whatever the rules specify, the traveller is always the loser. Always.
NEXUS-only check-in works routinely for AirCanada online and e-kiosk check-in. The other big common carriers of NEXUS members Trans-US/Canada would be AA/US, DL, UA and AS, with Westjet in there too. I use these non-AC carriers for US-Canada travel relatively infrequently compared to AC transborder service and when I do, it's usually for a trip coming from or going to Europe/Asia so generally I have my passport then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.