Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry application: disclosing Somalia vs Somaliland?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL,EK

I am applying for Global Entry. On the countries visited list, there is only Somalia. I have been to Somaliland. Should I add Somalia to the list? I only have the visa and stamps from Somaliland. I am assuming I should list it as Somalia.

Or perhaps just mention Somaliland and Transnistria at the interview since neither one is on the list of countries.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I think that if you use your Global Entry interview to try to make a political point, it might hurt you.

Internationally, Somaliland is considered an autonomous region of Somalia. Not an independent country.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

I just don't want to lie on the form... and the government of Somalia would have no record of my visit as I never had a Somalia visa. I'll list it as Somalia and clarify it at the interview if it comes up as a question. I notice they list Kosovo too which it just as independent as Somaliland (but of course has US recognition).
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
the government of Somalia would have no record of my visit as I never had a Somalia visa.
Not sure if you are serious about this comment, but as the former manager of Mogadishu Airport I can assure you that the "Government of Somalia" has no record of pretty much anyone who enters the country, nor of most visas actually issued.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Not sure if you are serious about this comment, but as the former manager of Mogadishu Airport I can assure you that the "Government of Somalia" has no record of pretty much anyone who enters the country, nor of most visas actually issued.
You've just validated DesertNomad's statement. Seems it's not a comment in jest.

The OP should list the visited locality as Somalia and can mention -- if asked -- it was the Somaliland part. Not that it will necessarily go over better with CBP.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:22 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow as the thread moves to the Trusted Travelers forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as the United States is concerned Somaliland is part of Somalia, so the answer is clear.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Hah, why would you even bring up these points? Put down how the US gov recognizes those territories and be done with it.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
This made me chuckle.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: ::US,UA,CO+ currently non-rev Plat
I would be curious how your GE app turns out.
Since I got GE a few years ago I've been to Somaliland and I'm wondering what will happen on my renewal of GE in a few years. I have a different passport now so none of the questionable countries I've visited are on it anymore thought I am supposed to list all on the application.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

I was conditionally approved but I am guessing theta Somalia, Iran and Sudan might come up in the interview. I am driving 8 hours each way to get to the interview so I hope it is successful.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I was conditionally approved but I am guessing theta Somalia, Iran and Sudan might come up in the interview. I am driving 8 hours each way to get to the interview so I hope it is successful.
If you are conditionally approved, you probably don't have to worry.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Perhaps. I know some people who got quickly assigned conditionally approved status and the passport was barely examined and the traveled countries didn't come up at all in the enrollment "interview". You may get some questions, but at this point I doubt it would be a show-stopper unless you get a real dunce at CBP.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:13 pm

you're overthinking it. i've got 2 of the 3 you're worried about and it's a breeze. americans are allowed to travel you know. no shame in that. if you're not up to no good there, then they shouldn't care. i said i wanted to see Sudan and take photos. they didn't care at all in the interview.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:58 am

B747, I hope this one's not referring to you!
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...d-9941026.html

In neighbouring Somalia, officialdom is said to be motivated by self-interest rather than national interest. According to “clandestine reporting from a source with secondhand access”, the manager of Mogadishu airport habitually selects “at least one passenger from each flight for secondary inspection, accusing the passenger of illegal activity, and forcing the passenger to pay a bribe for release”.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.