Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Marriage/Divorce - Name change for Nexus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone gone through this process? I'm a recent immigrant to Canada from the US and went to update my nexus at the airport with my new passport, drivers license, address, etc, and show my marriage certificate with my Canadian Confirmation of Permanent Resident (in my old name).

I was told I cannot use nexus and need to wait until I get a new Permanent Resident card in my new name as well before I come back, and that they cannot even update the information in the system until I get a new nexus card in my new name. The lady there told me explicitly that I needed to change my name and get a new card issued using GOES and that I couldn't do it there. She also could not seem to wrap her head around that I had changed my last name as a man (we are a same-sex couple). US CBP lady, of course.. Very confusing information in all. Anyone gone through the experience that could shed some light?

Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes you need to have the US side update your name. You also need to have your permanent resident card updated. The problem is the programs link to each other.

You can indeed use Nexus, your card didn't become invalid because of the name change. However to update the name on it, it must be updated in the US since I'm guessing that is where you applied and where issued the Nexus card. While the program is a combined effort, only the country that issues your Nexus card can update it.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes you need to have the US side update your name. You also need to have your permanent resident card updated. The problem is the programs link to each other.

You can indeed use Nexus, your card didn't become invalid because of the name change. However to update the name on it, it must be updated in the US since I'm guessing that is where you applied and where issued the Nexus card. While the program is a combined effort, only the country that issues your Nexus card can update it.
I suppose it's still valid, but not very useful if the name doesn't match my passport or my flight ticket. lol

My Canadian PR card has a processing time of about 100 more days (sent in the application a month ago). So I'm kind of in bureaucratic limbo for the rest of the year.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The US can updated your name in the Nexus system and issue you a new Nexus card while you wait for the Canadian PR card to be updated. US just needs proof of the name change. Since you've updated your passport that's all they should need, but may want a copy of the marriage license/whatever document you used to change your name.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:43 pm

Cool Any cost for Nexus name change?

My fiancee and I are getting married soon, but we'd like to travel soon. As it can take up to 10 weeks after the marriage to be able to request our marriage certificate and begin the name change process, we've put off getting her a passport (she doesn't have one currently) as she'll have to pay full price again for a name change.

That said, I have a Nexus card and we were thinking of having her apply for a Nexus card using her current name, then changing it once we have all the paperwork.

What I'm wondering is if there are any costs/fees for changing the name on a Nexus card and will they issue a new card to her with the new name?

Thanks for any insights from anyone who's been through this process.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DotNM
My fiancee and I are getting married soon, but we'd like to travel soon. As it can take up to 10 weeks after the marriage to be able to request our marriage certificate and begin the name change process, we've put off getting her a passport (she doesn't have one currently) as she'll have to pay full price again for a name change.

That said, I have a Nexus card and we were thinking of having her apply for a Nexus card using her current name, then changing it once we have all the paperwork.

What I'm wondering is if there are any costs/fees for changing the name on a Nexus card and will they issue a new card to her with the new name?

Thanks for any insights from anyone who's been through this process.
Firstly, the nexus card cannot be used for international air travel without a passport accompanying it.

Secondly, do not do this. I have had ZERO luck getting my name changed. I have been advised that I may have to re-apply all over with my new name because CBP is entirely incompetent at handling this process.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:57 pm

Actually, it depends on where you are traveling - if you are traveling to the Caribbean, all you will need is your Nexus card; a passport is not necessary if you have a Nexus card. I used my Nexus card all over down there without problem.

As far as a name change on a passport, it is free to do so as long as it's been less than a year since your passport was issued. After that, there is a fee. You do have to submit original documents as proof of the marriage and it involves sending your passport along with a federal form to get the change.

I, personally am encountering some of these hassles myself. I am an American citizen who married a Canadian on Dec.30, 2015. There does seem to be a definite order to the chain of events that is name changes on all documents. I spent the day today trying to do this - Social Security was the first step. After showing our legal marriage certificate, the SS office said it would take until midnight for the federal gov to recognize it - then it will be another 12 hours before the state of Michigan will recognize me so that i can then apply for the change on my driver's license. Once that's done, I will be able to switch over banking and then apply for my new driver's license. I was told I'd need that in order to get an appointment to finish renewing my Nexus card at the border. We will see - everything seems to take three times as long to do than what I was told!
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Does anyone have any experience with this in the COVID-era?

My (now) wife changed her name in August, and she just received her new passport. We updated her drivers license online on the trusted traveler portal, but obviously can't do the passport name change online.

The Detroit Nexus office is closed (at least we can never get a hold of anyone), Port Huron is still temporarily shut down, and the Sault Saint Marie office is several hours away. The SSM office recommended that my wife just reapply for a new card in a couple months since her card is ~14 months from expiring, once she is within 12.

There's no Canada travel for the forseeable future so my bigger question is what's needed to make sure she (reliably) has access to pre-check, since travel has been booked in her new name. For updating name's regarding precheck - is this really even a NEXUS issue (does that data "flow" down for pre-check purposes), or is this something that maybe one of the Pre-Check locations that may or may not be open could help out with, and then we could update NEXUS at a later date?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:08 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by BThumme
For updating name's regarding precheck - is this really even a NEXUS issue (does that data "flow" down for pre-check purposes), or is this something that maybe one of the Pre-Check locations that may or may not be open could help out with, and then we could update NEXUS at a later date?
Generally speaking, the name, the DOB and the Known Traveler Number in the PNR should match the passenger's trusted traveler's profile in order for the PreCheck designation to appear on the boarding pass. Since your wife's KTN is associated with her NEXUS membership - I assume that she does not have an stand alone PreCheck KTN - all changes must be made through NEXUS. Perhaps you can have her name updated at a Global Entry Enrollment Center (NEXUS and Global Entry are both administrated by the CBP, PreCheck by the TSA).

Please take a look at the following thread for more information:
BThumme likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:23 am

Has anyone had any success doing this recently? My wife and I are struggling hard to get this done.

We've tried calling our nexus enrollment centers , no dice.
We tried visiting the detroit nexus enrollment office since their phone number doesn't work, and CBP was not happy that we were trying to do a walk in appointment and pretty much told us to leave.
We tried calling the DTW global entry office and they said they can't do anything until "the borders open back up" (okay?...)

-We tried updating her passport with her new number as well and it wouldn't save, in part due to the name change I guess. We just feel like we are stuck in a black hole right now of trying to updater my wife's account with her new passport and document.

Just wondering if anyone has updated passport documents recently. We have global entry through NEXUS, but since we can't do anything about that, I was hoping that we would still at least be able to update my wifes trusted traveler profile with the help of a global entry enrollment center.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 11:13 am

Just tried calling the DTW enrollment center - at least someone picked up and they were kinda helpful, but still no resolution. The officer told me that you do need to do a walk in, but that walk ins are not being allowed at DTW or "company wide" until further notice. Is that the case? Why is this so difficult? If I could just get an appointment scheduled for this it would save us a lot of hassle.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Hello Fellow Nexus-ers.
I have posted about this before but as things keep changing I will ask again, and add some detail in case there is someone who might have an answer.

Really bummed they have shut down Nexus interviews again (unsurprisingly & with good reason as 1mil new cases reported today = unreal!). I have long needed to do a name change, but as far as I am aware (and please confirm if you know better), I have to take my documents into a Nexus office *in person* to do that and get a re-issued card. The centers have been shut since my legal stuff came through over a year ago. Again, if you know differently, ie there is a way to submit online, please pipe up. I have delayed trying to change my passport for this reason, since the names need to match!

Second issue/question: I was divorced in the UK and my documents just state that it is legally done, yet when I went to get my new driver's license where I am living (US state) I was told that, since they have no specific wording regarding my legal name, I am stuck - for their purposes - with my married name (which is pretty traumatic actually). Any clue about what the TT program folks will accept? The cost to apply and do a legal name change here is horrifying ($700-1000) although if I go back to where I used to live it will be more like $100. And all a huge pain in the youknowwhat.

If anyone has dealt with Nexus name change, a reply or a direct message would be great. Thanks, happy new year, and stay safe all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.