Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

PreCheck without indication on boarding pass

Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole

This may have already been discussed up-thread, but I'm not going to read through all the pages to find out.

I have asked several TSA employees (I tried to find shift supervisors) if my GE card could be used for entrance to a PreCheck line even if my BP didn't have PreCheck on it. I haven't actually encountered this situation, but wanted to know just-in-case. The uniform answer was a resounding 'No'. You have to have PreCheck on your BP. I did have one situation when a TSA officer was selecting pax for secondary screening at the gate, and upon seeing that the ID I presented was my GE card, she promptly gave me a wave-thru on the secondary.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
This may have already been discussed up-thread, but I'm not going to read through all the pages to find out.

I have asked several TSA employees (I tried to find shift supervisors) if my GE card could be used for entrance to a PreCheck line even if my BP didn't have PreCheck on it. I haven't actually encountered this situation, but wanted to know just-in-case. The uniform answer was a resounding 'No'. You have to have PreCheck on your BP. I did have one situation when a TSA officer was selecting pax for secondary screening at the gate, and upon seeing that the ID I presented was my GE card, she promptly gave me a wave-thru on the secondary.
If there's no precheck, your GE card can't do anything for you. If an agent is picking for secondary, well, that's a tossup.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this is a more general question about PreCheck, I've split this out from the PreCheck thread in the US forum, and I'm moving it over to the TSS forum.

I'll do a scan to see if there's a similar thread over there, but perhaps one of the TSS regulars could direct me.

Thanks.

aztimm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by johnslloyd

I guess I understand the not getting PreCheck without it printed on your boarding pass especially as TSA is supposedly cutting back on the gratis PreChecks. What is curious, assuming you've provided your GE information to the airline, is why didn't the airline boarding pass get printed out with PreCheck. I'm signing up with GE, in fact have my interview next week, and one of the benefits I'm interested in is the included enrollment in PreCheck.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:29 pm

Not all airlines will be enrolled in PreCheck (Spirit comes to mind).

If it's not printed on the BP, your GE ID isn't going to help.

Any flights on airlines that are enrolled in PreCheck I am 100% on since getting GE.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by gunner725
Not all airlines will be enrolled in PreCheck (Spirit comes to mind).

If it's not printed on the BP, your GE ID isn't going to help.

Any flights on airlines that are enrolled in PreCheck I am 100% on since getting GE.
Good point! I forgot about the participating/non-participating airlines.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Randyk47
I guess I understand the not getting PreCheck without it printed on your boarding pass especially as TSA is supposedly cutting back on the gratis PreChecks. What is curious, assuming you've provided your GE information to the airline, is why didn't the airline boarding pass get printed out with PreCheck. I'm signing up with GE, in fact have my interview next week, and one of the benefits I'm interested in is the included enrollment in PreCheck.
Because PreCheck isn't a 100% thing, even with GE.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by BThumme
Because PreCheck isn't a 100% thing, even with GE.
its 99.99999999% which is close enough to 100%
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
In the beginning of PreCheck I did get PreCheck without being preselected when the TSO saw my Global Entry card and the difference in lines between regular and PreCheck. It is NOT standard procedure but something some TSOs (happened 3 times) did at their own discretion.

Now I'm at 100% PreCheck and loving it.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
PreCheck is designed to have a randomness to it. Thus you're not promised it every time you fly. However, since I got GE I've only had one flight where I didn't get it. It was a last minute walk-up one-way purchase.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
PreCheck is designed to have a randomness to it. Thus you're not promised it every time you fly. However, since I got GE I've only had one flight where I didn't get it. It was a last minute walk-up one-way purchase.
Under the previous TSA "try it, you'll like it" PreCheck randomness I was doing pretty well, probably 80+% selection, and I'll have to admit I got real used to it. Now that I'm flying more, mostly on an airline that I don't have advanced FF status on, any advantage is welcome even if not 100% guaranteed. As a fellow San Antonioan flyerCO can appreciate why PreCheck is a blessing when flying out of Terminal A here.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Under the previous TSA "try it, you'll like it" PreCheck randomness I was doing pretty well, probably 80+% selection, and I'll have to admit I got real used to it. Now that I'm flying more, mostly on an airline that I don't have advanced FF status on, any advantage is welcome even if not 100% guaranteed. As a fellow San Antonioan flyerCO can appreciate why PreCheck is a blessing when flying out of Terminal A here.
You mean Terminal 1! I will never get used to calling it Terminal A or B. You're right on security in Term A though. It seems like the line never gets short. Monday mornings you might as well forgo sleeping and just show up to the airport if you don't have PreCheck.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:32 am

You mean Terminal 1! I will never get used to calling it Terminal A or B. You're right on security in Term A though. It seems like the line never gets short. Monday mornings you might as well forgo sleeping and just show up to the airport if you don't have PreCheck.
Three weeks ago took Mrs. K to the airport on a Monday for early morning flight to DFW and luckily she was flying AA out of Terminal B (Terminal 2 ). I couldn't believe it, actually walked over to check in fact, but the security line for Terminal A (1) started in Terminal B (2)! For those not familiar with SAT that means maybe a 300' or more long line. Terminal B (2) security is much more "civilized", far fewer gates and airlines than Terminal A (1), plus Mrs. K has both advanced FF status on AA and a KTN as a DoD employee so she usually breezes right through.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
However, since I got GE I've only had one flight where I didn't get it. It was a last minute walk-up one-way purchase.
Which can easily be explained by agent not entering the correct information or leaving out KTN and not a true random denial.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CDKing
Which can easily be explained by agent not entering the correct information or leaving out KTN and not a true random denial.
It's all part of my Skymiles profile. Which would mean at least to me that it should be entered correctly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.