Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Precheck Stopped?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Precheck Stopped?

We have been getting TSA Precheck printed on our boarding passes for our last few trips on JB. Just checked in for tomorrow's flight, and her boarding pass shows TSA Precheck, BUT MINE DOESN'T. Why would they take it away from me, but not from her on the same booking?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
TSA has announced a cutback in the program for non-enrolled passengers. Supposedly they were encouraging or enticing passengers into signing up for the program by being very "generous" and letting people experience it. My wife gets it as a DoD employee and I was selected most of the time but with the announced cutback I've decided to bite the bullet so to speak and enroll.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

So then it is not a glitch that with two people traveling on the same Confirmation number that one can be precheck & the other not? That seems odd, esp since we pack things together - and also have an in-cabin pet. I'll be carrying stuff for the dog, but she'll be in a different line.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:05 pm

Yep. It's happened to us and that was before the cutback. It'll get worse if one of you is enrolled and the other not. Only once did the TSA agent ask if we were together and then let me go through PreCheck because my wife had it. I guess TSA's sales job worked as I certainly got spoiled and the recent announced cutback caused me to apply. Interestingly because the closest PreCheck enrollment center is a 200 mile round trip I've actually applied for the Global Entry program that has an enrollment office here. Cost me $15 more but I'd easily spend that on gas driving 200 miles not to mention the convenience.

Last edited by Randyk47; Aug 8, 2014 at 5:56 am
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I get PreCheck through Global Entry and when I travel with my family, my wife NEVER gets PreCheck. My kids (6 and 8) are 50/50 on having PreCheck printed on their BPs, but obviously go through with me anyway.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:01 am

Might add that I almost always got PreCheck when flying with AA and attributed that to my advanced FF status with them. I'm not sure if they're going to cut back on that aspect or not. My more pressing issue is that I've recently gotten a new consulting contract and most of the sites we'll be visiting over the next couple of years are in the Southeast. While AA serves some of that area DL serves more of the out of the way locations. On top of that it is a DoD contract and we're required to use the GSA contracted airlines, even though we don't get the government rate, whenever possible and that often forces us back to DL. I have an FF account with DL but nowhere near the level of travel to get advanced FF status. That might change with this new work but it's going to take a whole lot of travel to get to that level.

Last edited by Randyk47; Aug 8, 2014 at 9:06 am
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by coachgns
So then it is not a glitch that with two people traveling on the same Confirmation number that one can be precheck & the other not? That seems odd, esp since we pack things together - and also have an in-cabin pet. I'll be carrying stuff for the dog, but she'll be in a different line.
Nope - not odd at all. Precheck is verified based on the individual. So one on a PNR could get it while another might not.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:40 am

http://consumertraveler.com/columns/...e-check-lanes/

Their sales pitch has been good enough to entice more and more passengers to pay.
I'd change the above quote to read:

Their manipulation of travelers has been good enough to entice more and more passengers to pay.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It's not a glitch, ridiculous as this PreCheck nonsense is (given the default screening for passengers should be PreCheck LLL type screening even as it is not in the US).

Quite routinely a majority or minority of some of my travel parties have PreCheck LLL; and so we engage in the baggage handoff to the PreCheck LLL passengers to make things better for all, including making things better for those not in our travel party.

The most ridiculous outcomes when this PreCheck stuff is in play is when the lone adult member of some travel party has been haraSSSSment hit yet other members are PreCheck LLL but just small minors. It makes for interesting situations since the TSA screening rules/guidelines are in internal contradiction when such situations arise.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's not a glitch, ridiculous as this PreCheck nonsense is (given the default screening for passengers should be PreCheck LLL type screening even as it is not in the US).

Actually, I would venture to say that most of the world is not like PreCheck when it comes to not requiring laptop/electronics/liquids removal. Granted, most of the world allows you to keep shoes on, and most of the world does not use NoS. But, I have traveled to the UK, EU, HKG, SIN, SYD within the past year, and all of these locations have EVEN STRICTER requirements than normal TSA screening as far as removal of ALL electronics (not just laptop-size), removal of baggie, etc.

LHR in particular is incredibly picky about liquids....even just one little tube (1 oz) of a hand cream in luggage outside the baggie will trigger a secondary and you will have to surrender it, EVEN if you can show that it fits in the baggie.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:44 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Actually, I would venture to say that most of the world is not like PreCheck when it comes to not requiring laptop/electronics/liquids removal. Granted, most of the world allows you to keep shoes on, and most of the world does not use NoS. But, I have traveled to the UK, EU, HKG, SIN, SYD within the past year, and all of these locations have EVEN STRICTER requirements than normal TSA screening as far as removal of ALL electronics (not just laptop-size), removal of baggie, etc.

LHR in particular is incredibly picky about liquids....even just one little tube (1 oz) of a hand cream in luggage outside the baggie will trigger a secondary and you will have to surrender it, EVEN if you can show that it fits in the baggie.
With the exception of the UK, most of that idiocy is driven by the USA.

And many more countries are much less stupid than the ones you've mentioned. Take a domestic flight in New Zealand, Brasil, Chile, Australia, et al and none of the idiocy you've described occurs.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
With the exception of the UK, most of that idiocy is driven by the USA.

And many more countries are much less stupid than the ones you've mentioned. Take a domestic flight in New Zealand, Brasil, Chile, Australia, et al and none of the idiocy you've described occurs.

I forgot to mention that many of those countries conduct 100% secondary carry-on baggage screening on the jetbridge to check for liquids on flights to the USA, so you cannot buy a bottle of water after security to take on board! (really annoying when those flights are 16+ hours!)
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:47 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I forgot to mention that many of those countries conduct 100% secondary carry-on baggage screening on the jetbridge to check for liquids on flights to the USA, so you cannot buy a bottle of water after security to take on board! (really annoying when those flights are 16+ hours!)
Again, USA-driven stupidity.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spiff
Again, USA-driven stupidity.

Yes, they always make a PA announcement (or have a posted sign) saying "because of TSA regulations, we must search all carry-ons on flights to the USA for liquids..." etc.

What I don't understand is why it must be done AGAIN, after the main security checkpoint, preventing any purchases of liquids in the secured area. The 3-1-1 rules apply everywhere in the world nowadays. So, everyone in the secured area of the overseas airports is already in compliance with TSA regulations, regardless of destination.

Why is a bottle of water or other drink purchased after security any higher-risk when departing a foreign country vs. departing the USA?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nope. I'm GE and have had precheck since the beginning. MsHalls120 doesn't have it, yet we get along just fine. At IAD, the wheelchair lane is next to the precheck lane, and they let her use it when we're flying together. She's actually cleared it faster than I have cleared the precheck line.

The difference being that at CPH, AMS, BRU, FRA, MUC, CDG, STR, NRT, HKG, SIN, BKK, etc, the checkpoints are properly staffed, the rules are clear and consistent, and the lines move faster than the F'ed up mess that is most US international airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.