Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
UPDATE: and that's exactly what happened to me. I posted as I thought something may happen on arrival at LAX with CBP and was cleared very quickly as normal. I know they are not related, but I had concerns. So in this case SSSS was nothing more that 4 letters on my BP Thanks and safe travels..
I get the impression that there simply is no provision for handling a SSSS in PVG. My wife did *NOT* have a SSSS on the domestic portion of our flight.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:37 am

I was hit with SSSS when I returned from Japan. Flew out with my family to Seoul. My suspicion is CBP officer. I have little doubt that she purposely added my name on watch list. I wrote about this incident on FT. My wife, baby & myself were in line inside the boarding gate on outbound flight to Seoul. 2 CBP officers standing inside. One of the officer stopped us and asked if we were carrying more than $5k for which we replied NO and than the female officer spent the next 15 mins ransacking everything we had and asked many questions & even demanded us to write any cash we had and our signatures. We only had $300 cash and that was all she found. After that I saw her writing down my passport info on a blank piece of paper. I did file complaint but as expected, they ignored it with " we received your complaint, will be forwarded but due to privacy matters we can't give you any updates and complaint is closed" A report I read says over 80% of any complaints against CBP even those involving beatings are ignored.

I did file TSA redress and got their response but doesn't mention why I was on SSSS list.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; May 22, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Old May 22, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
Just adding some input here, I got SSSS today on a domestic IAD-LAX segmet today for no apparent reason. I have Global Entry and PreCheck, I've never been to Turkey or anywhere else that DHS doesn't like, so I'm totally confused why I got it.

I'm going to wait to file a DHSTrip, I have a flight SFO-LAX in a week and a half, we'll see if it happens again.

The best part was that I had to ask the xray guys who was going to take the SSSS check, since the ID check guys totally missed the fact that I had it on the BP. They spent most of the time talking about who screwed up. Did the full pat down, and the bag swab, thankfully I wasn't in a hurry.

Hoping this was just a random selection and I'm not on any list....
Old May 22, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I was hit with SSSS when I returned from Japan. Flew out with my family to Seoul.
Originally Posted by pixitha
Just adding some input here, I got SSSS today on a domestic IAD-LAX segmet today for no apparent reason. I have Global Entry and PreCheck, I've never been to Turkey or anywhere else that DHS doesn't like, so I'm totally confused why I got it.
Those are two very strange incidents. As a previous victim myself, you have my sympathy. Hopefully, it just goes away: mind did, and I did the "outrageous" thing of stopping for a night in Istanbul before heading to Africa.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iahphx
Those are two very strange incidents. As a previous victim myself, you have my sympathy. Hopefully, it just goes away: mind did, and I did the "outrageous" thing of stopping for a night in Istanbul before heading to Africa.
International flights to the U.S. have a higher proportion of passengers selected "randomly" for <SSSS> screening.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:00 am Reason: Opinion / commentary / term not used in the Trusted Travelers forum
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:05 am

Glad I found this thread. I've gotten SSSS the past three trips since I went to Turkey. Traveled to Turkey in Feb. on a one way award flight. Flew home from Germany on another award flight. My last trip I was flying from a small regional airport and when I mentioned I had been unable to print my boarding pass they knew exactly who I was and said that TSA was waiting for me. The TSA agent said they hadn't seen a SSSS in a long time. I've started checking my bag because it's easier to deal with the security. Which is kind of a pain. Funny thing is, is that on my flight home from Turkey I had my Global Entry interview during my layover. I have a flight coming up next week and figers crossed it's fallen off. If not I guess I'll have to do some paperwork. I'm also traveling with my friend who traveled to Turkey with me, same tickets. It'll be interesting to see if she gets it, she hasn't flown since. I was the only who got it coming home from Turkey though.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year I had 3 consecutive INTL trips where I got flagged on the return segment. 2 trips were from Central America and the final was from Japan. I've taken 5 trips since and have not been flagged. Originally I thought it was due to the destinations but now I not really sure.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by miko2a
. Flew home from Germany on another award flight.
Same here on my "worst" return from Turkey - broken TK/LH award travel via FRA booked with UA miles. If you don't mind, which German airport did you depart from and did any plainclothes (though probably nicely dressed) CBP officers approach you at the departure gate? Been looking for evidence of any other USC's being harassed by the CBP Immigration Advisory Program, but right now it seems that I'm the only one who has written about encounters with them on the entire Internet. I can't really be *that* special? I was absolutely petrified each time they approached me and the whole procedure left a bitter aftertaste that haunted me well after my last little chat with them - for months I was convinced that I had to be under some sort of surveillance or on some "list" with potentially serious consequences for my wife's visa case at Embassy Ankara. Easy to say "water under the bridge" now, but it sure felt like my own government was against me right when I needed them most.

Originally Posted by miko2a
My last trip I was flying from a small regional airport and when I mentioned I had been unable to print my boarding pass they knew exactly who I was and said that TSA was waiting for me. The TSA agent said they hadn't seen a SSSS in a long time. I've started checking my bag because it's easier to deal with the security.
Also had a similar experience flying out of ITH, and would likewise feel very entitled to ask for a baggage fee waiver in the interest of not clogging the checkpoint the next time I get SSSS'ed at a small airport. They pressed and squeezed every last piece of clothing in my suitcase by hand on a table in embarrassingly full view of colleagues travelling out on the same flight. I suspect that the absence of AIT and other fancy/expensive gadgets at ITH may have had something to do with the rigor of their inspection - at PHL they sure swabbed down every surface of my luggage, but didn't actually rummage through it or do anything worse than a typical opt-out for the patdown.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:57 pm

I flew home from Berlin. Using AA miles. Used Lifemiles to get to Turkey.
The small airport was the worse. Yep, nothing like having your underwear being examined. And it's one of those places where there is the one flight and security opens for it. So, everyone witnessed it. Of course they examine everything behind a shield of sorts but, they handed me everything in two piles and I had to repack my bag on a table in front of everyone on my flight. Good thing I don't have a lot of shame. My next flight was from Seattle and the TSA agent was funny and made things go pretty smooth. She thought she had seen me earlier in the week when I mentioned Turkey. And on that flight we had TSA agents at the gate checking everyone's ID. I couldn't help think it was because of me since every agent I came in contact with mentioned the flight I was on.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Got the dreaded SSSS today flying domestic IAH to ORD. I've commuted IAH to ORD and back every week for almost a year, and have TSA Pre. I hope this was a one time thing. I cannot imagine going through this twice every week. I've never been to Turkey.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
Just a datapoint for anyone, I'm on my back home with LAX-SFO-LAX and I didn't get SSSS again, so I'm pretty sure it was the SDC I did in IAD that gave me that honor. I appear to be lucky it was just a one time thing.

Good luck with Turkey!
-pix

Originally Posted by pixitha

I'm going to wait to file a DHSTrip, I have a flight SFO-LAX in a week and a half, we'll see if it happens again.

The best part was that I had to ask the xray guys who was going to take the SSSS check, since the ID check guys totally missed the fact that I had it on the BP. They spent most of the time talking about who screwed up. Did the full pat down, and the bag swab, thankfully I wasn't in a hurry.

Hoping this was just a random selection and I'm not on any list....
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Phew. Just checked in for my return home tomorrow and SSSS is gone. The only thing that comes to mind is that I had called the Premier like the day before and dealt with a rude rep, and I gave him some attitude right back.

I was already starting to feel bad for whoever was going to go through every inch of my dirty laundry tomorrow. Good luck everyone.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, NEXUS
I got the SSSS on a last minute trip YYG-LAS last fall. Didn't think anything of not being able to OLCI with WJ, but the attendant at check in told me the airline selected me for additional screening upon connection in YYC - which ended up being security just doing the ion swabs and a pat down. I don't even think I opened my bag. It was the first time getting additional screening ever, so I was kinda sweating it a little, but it ended up being fine. I'm guessing it was because I booked less than 48 hours before departure with Expedia??, flying back (and changing to an earlier flight) was not a problem. Subsequent flights had no additional screening or any issues at all.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 0.9MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Did this continue to happen to you?

This same thing just happened to me in GDL. I have the same flyer profile as you and have GE. The question I have is: was this a one-off occurrence for you or did it continue happening repeatedly?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Well, I just flew MEX-LAX on UA 293. I am Premier Plat, traveling with three family members, one another Premier Plat and the other two with no status. All of us flying in F. All tix purchased with credit card (not cash). I've been at least Gold and mostly 1K with UA since 1999 and have flown on hundreds of flights and well over 1 million miles and never received a SSSS boarding pass until today, which subjected me to the more intrusive search. The other family members in my party did not receive the dreaded SSSS, even though one was just flying for the second or third time in his life. In the last month, I have also been granted Global Entry (GE) status by CBP and have entered all my GE info in my profile with UA. Makes me wonder how a SSSS is generated. Is it done through CBP? Through UA's (former CO's) SHARES? It just seems odd to me that one who has been vetted as a low risk traveler would get the SSSS. Seems to me that it just creates inefficiencies in identifying those that may pose an actual security risk. Or maybe, just maybe, UA knows that I have largely dumped them in favor of AA (loving my new EXP status) and now wants to show me "appreciation" on those few flights that I do take on COdbaUA
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 0.9MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Was this a one-off or did it become a regular thing after this occasion?

Originally Posted by atword
On my flight from KIX to SFO it wasn't really that invasive. Nothing noticeably extra at security but then they enhanced me at the gate after scanning my BP. They casually looked through my carry-on wiped my clothing and laptop with their special cloth and then ran it through the electronic sniffer. It took four people to perform this task. Then I was cleared for boarding.

After arriving in SFO I went down the TSA PRE line and was directed back to the regular line. Even that wasn't too bad. Again they gave me and my laptop the special cloth wipedown and looked through my bag without removing the contents.

I never received ultra-enhanced double-secret-probation screening in another room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.