Go Back   > > >

Old Apr 20, 17, 9:49 am   #256
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HH Diamond
"Enhanced" screening when you fly a different airline?

My background:
- Global Entry / Precheck. I did my GE interview about 2 years ago and have flown extensively since.
- U.S. citizen, Caucasian male
- Regularly fly AA and WN, but have my KTN added to other FF accounts as well.

In the past year, I've flown approximately 50 total segments on AA and WN, plus about 6 on United. On all of these, I book via the airline directly and use the "native" FFP and my KTN. Across all of these, I have had 0 cases where (a) Precheck didn't print on the BP or (b) I was selected for "enhanced" screening.

This year, I've begun flying a little bit of AS. I book via Alaskaair.com and manually enter my AA Gold number and KTN. In 5 total segments so far, all 5 of them have had either (a) Precheck not print on the BP or (b) enhanced screening at the airport. Since those enhanced screenings are cases where Precheck did print on the BP, I can rule out a website issue where it did not recognize my KTN.

They say it's "random", but simple math would indicate that this is an incredibly minute possibility. So I'm wondering: what is it about my pattern that suggests I'm a threat when I fly Alaska, but clearly not when I fly AA or WN?

In one of the "enhanced" cases, there wasn't any line-of-sight between the ID checker and the person who pulled me out for screening.

The intensity of the pat-down has increased sharply from the last time I got one a couple years ago. It's an experience I'd rather avoid in the future if possible, but unless someone has other ideas, that might mean I should stick with AA/WN, even though the AS nonstops are really nice.

All other aspects of my travel are similar between the AA/WN and AS trips. Lots of domestic flights + a few international flights, lots of short business trips, business-casual dress, laptop bag + same carry-on, etc.

Thoughts?
pinniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 11:15 am   #257
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Next time you get an AS BP without 'precheck', tweet Ask TSA. They'll ask you to DM your name, flight info, reservation number to look into it. There have been follow-up 'thanks' tweets in the past indicating something was resolved. That may or may not also fix the issue where you get precheck + enhanced attention.

You might delete your information and re-enter it into your AS profile. It's an incredibly long shot, but it's possible that when you have gotten Pre on AS, it's been 'free Pre', ie, based on your flying habits/status, not because your name/KTN/DOB are all correct. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened with Pre.

Last edited by chollie; Apr 21, 17 at 11:24 am
chollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 17, 11:21 am   #258

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
My background:
- Global Entry / Precheck. I did my GE interview about 2 years ago and have flown extensively since.
- U.S. citizen, Caucasian male
- Regularly fly AA and WN, but have my KTN added to other FF accounts as well.

In the past year, I've flown approximately 50 total segments on AA and WN, plus about 6 on United. On all of these, I book via the airline directly and use the "native" FFP and my KTN. Across all of these, I have had 0 cases where (a) Precheck didn't print on the BP or (b) I was selected for "enhanced" screening.

This year, I've begun flying a little bit of AS. I book via Alaskaair.com and manually enter my AA Gold number and KTN. In 5 total segments so far, all 5 of them have had either (a) Precheck not print on the BP or (b) enhanced screening at the airport. Since those enhanced screenings are cases where Precheck did print on the BP, I can rule out a website issue where it did not recognize my KTN.

They say it's "random", but simple math would indicate that this is an incredibly minute possibility. So I'm wondering: what is it about my pattern that suggests I'm a threat when I fly Alaska, but clearly not when I fly AA or WN?

In one of the "enhanced" cases, there wasn't any line-of-sight between the ID checker and the person who pulled me out for screening.

The intensity of the pat-down has increased sharply from the last time I got one a couple years ago. It's an experience I'd rather avoid in the future if possible, but unless someone has other ideas, that might mean I should stick with AA/WN, even though the AS nonstops are really nice.

All other aspects of my travel are similar between the AA/WN and AS trips. Lots of domestic flights + a few international flights, lots of short business trips, business-casual dress, laptop bag + same carry-on, etc.

Thoughts?
Out of the 5 AS segments flown, how many of them had boarding passes with PreCheck indicators on them?

Note there have been some carriers where the mobile phones and printed out versions of a boarding pass for a given flight have not both shown the same thing in regard to PreCheck.
GUWonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 17, 8:15 pm   #259

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
Under 5 years or so of GE (or Nexus) I've gotten the SSSS about 5 times. 3 of those times, a seat change resolved it (no idea why maybe airline has bad KTN info); 1 of the times, KTN info wasn't correct. DM'd the Airline on twitter to have them check and they corrected it - unchecked me in. Recheck BP didn't have SSSS and has Pre on it. Last time was a random, of all places AA FRA-DFW - worst ever SSSS secondary ever. Pray your SSSS's are in the US and not FRA Terminal 2. - not that PreCheck would have helped, just wouldn't have had a random SSSS maybe.

I've never NOT gotten Pre if I haven't had one of the above SSSS incidents.
NickP 1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 17, 8:48 am   #260

Maybe not the right forum...

Just checked in for my flight home to the US tomorrow. Flying LOT from Tallinn to Warsaw, connecting to LOT Warsaw-LAX, UA LAX-LAS.

SSSS printed on my WAW-LAX and LAX-LAS boarding passes, but not my TLL-WAW one. My Global Entry KTN is attached to my reservation.

I have a one hour layover in WAW, which I was already sweating, but now I'm especially nervous. Bags checked through, of course, but I still need to deplane, clear passport control, and be at the gate within 50 minutes of wheels down from my flight from Tallinn.

Will I make it?

I'm sure the reason for this is that my outbound from the US was to Turkey...
vegascraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:54 pm   #261
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA
I'm in GE and hence TSA PC also.
Every flight from ZRH-JFK (on AA) prints TSA PC on my bp*--except one. For that flt (random) I was SSSS, about 3 extra minutes of screening--much better than FRA (noted in a post above).
*TSA PC has NO significance in ZRH.
nrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 9:48 pm   #262

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascraig View Post
Maybe not the right forum...

Just checked in for my flight home to the US tomorrow. Flying LOT from Tallinn to Warsaw, connecting to LOT Warsaw-LAX, UA LAX-LAS.

SSSS printed on my WAW-LAX and LAX-LAS boarding passes, but not my TLL-WAW one. My Global Entry KTN is attached to my reservation.

I have a one hour layover in WAW, which I was already sweating, but now I'm especially nervous. Bags checked through, of course, but I still need to deplane, clear passport control, and be at the gate within 50 minutes of wheels down from my flight from Tallinn.

Will I make it?

I'm sure the reason for this is that my outbound from the US was to Turkey...
You should be fine, just hustle to the gate and they will rescreen you on the more enhanced screening in the US rescreen area. In WAW it's NOT as worse as FRA - have as much prepared as possible (e.g no extra liquids have notebook/tablet, etc all easy to pull out). On the LAX-LAS - suggest changing the seat number on UA and try getting the BP on the UA app - I've sometimes seen after a seat change on UA removes this.
Old Jul 4, 17, 10:01 pm   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP 1K View Post
You should be fine, just hustle to the gate and they will rescreen you on the more enhanced screening in the US rescreen area. In WAW it's NOT as worse as FRA - have as much prepared as possible (e.g no extra liquids have notebook/tablet, etc all easy to pull out). On the LAX-LAS - suggest changing the seat number on UA and try getting the BP on the UA app - I've sometimes seen after a seat change on UA removes this.
Thanks for the info - that's kind of what happened.

The incoming to WAW was a little late, with no bus waiting to take us to the terminal as well, so I did have to hustle. Made it to the gate and they did send me back to the re-screen gate. Unfortunately there were 3 people for other flights in the line in front of me, and everybody took about 5 minutes to be screened. The screening was pretty thorough but not terribly intense. By the time I made it back to the gate I was the last one on the plane (but still arrived about 10 minutes before departure time.)

At LAX, I tried to change the seat on the UA app but couldn't - asked an agent to reprint a boarding pass for me and that didn't help either. The screening at LAX took 23 minutes from start to finish. Very professional agent, not on a power trip, but incredibly, incredibly thorough. Every single item was removed from my suitcase (whereas in Warsaw only my electronics were taken out, even though everything else was briefly looked at, and swabbed for explosives).

When the first-contact TSA agent at LAX told me "your airline has randomly selected you..." I said "nope, I just came back from Turkey." He half-smiled and stopped the spiel. . My friend, traveling with me on the same itinerary, was SSSSed in WAW and LAX as well.
vegascraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 17, 9:44 am   #264

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MP Platinum,SPG Plat/ LTG,MR Plat
I'm a UA plat and nexus / GE and got the SSSS on flights from LIS-FCO (TAP), FCO-ORD and ORD -YYZ ( both UA). I was subject to zero enhanced screening in LIS, at FCO they unzipped my camera bag and peeped in for maybe 2 seconds. The biggest inconvenience was that I didn't get TSA Pre Check in ORD, while my wife, with the same status, GE/Nexus etc did.
Fizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 17, 2:40 pm   #265

Programs: UA 1K, AF Club 2000, US/AA 1.03MM
On 7/4, I was flying CTU-NRT on NH, switching to NRT-LAX on UA. I attempted to check-in on-line in Chengdu, only to no avail (the NH app kept on erroring out). When I checked in at the airport, my first BP (CTU-NRT) was fine, but the NRT-LAX had the SSSS. Even when I got to NRT, I attempted to OLCI on the UA app, but it gave me my traveling partner's BP, but mine was replaced with "this is not a boarding pass." At the gate though, they made me take off my shoes (sandals) and swab them, and let me go on my way.

Now, last year, I was flying MNL-HND (also on NH), followed by HND-SFO-LAX on UA and I had attempted to OLCI via NH, and on the HND-SFO I got the SSSS (so I had to re-print my BP at SFO, which showed PreCheck). Yet, earlier this year, I flew MNL-NRT (on NH) followed by NRT-LAX (on UA) and I didn't get the SSSS; but then again, I didn't try to OLCI either.

Could the SSSS be related to my attempts to OLCI via NH?
fgirard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 17, 11:41 pm   #266

Programs: UA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgirard View Post
You may be on to something. That fits with what I have experienced leaving HND or NRT. Next time I'm not doing OLCI. Maybe they will upgrade me to PE like the last time I didn't do OLCI!
atword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 17, 12:53 am   #267

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgirard View Post

Yes, but it's almost certainly because of the UA flight following a non-US flight. In other words, such hits coming up is routinely part of the attempted check-in aspect for the UA flight when a US-bound US-carrier's flight is the onward connecting flight for an incoming flight on a non-US carrier.

And given c. 10% of passenger-entered, typed-in passport data on PNRs is incorrect in part and the concern about people using OLCI to reduce the chances of passport being examined as often as with physical check-in with an airline rep at the airport, it shouldn't be a surprise that this is also a factor in such hits for passengers flying to the US from abroad.
GUWonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 17, 6:51 pm   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by atword View Post
You may be on to something. That fits with what I have experienced leaving HND or NRT. Next time I'm not doing OLCI. Maybe they will upgrade me to PE like the last time I didn't do OLCI!
On an oversell NH will push a Star Gold to PE way before the 24 hour check in window. It does happen inside that window rarely but most of the time it's before you've even checked in. On NH I've gone from Y to PE about 10 times and from Y to Biz about 2 - all showed up at check in as a seat change
Old Jul 15, 17, 7:31 pm   #269
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Please let's get back on topic, that is trusted travelers hit with the dreadful SSSS.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
TWA884 is offline   Reply With Quote