Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
OK...hoping for answers here. 2nd time in a row I got the dreaded SSSS. My last trip, last week was a DEN-DFW-NRT-DFW-DEN r/t over 2 days on AA (a MR, btw). I was fine on the outbound, but got the SSSS on the inbound. I figured out that the agent that checked me in in NRT added an extra letter to my middle name somehow, so I figured that was what triggered the SSSS. Fast-forward to this trip...

Outbound, on a one-way ticket to HEL, coincidentally, was fine.

On the way back, flying EY F-Class, out of DXB, I get the dreaded SSSS AGAIN. It is a one-way ticket. I am global entry, and an EXP with AA who regularly flies international.

Other than the UAE, all my travel has been to "normal" countries this month (HKG, Japan, Finland, Germany).

Thoughts on if these are flukes, or should I have reason to be concerned going forward?

Thanks for your help.

-Frustrated traveler.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:02 pm

UAPremierGuy,

Although Global Entry and other Trusted Traveller programs should apply
if one uses common sense, they are not applicable to inbound flights to the USA. This includes flights from Canada to the USA.

The carriers (US and foreign) have anywhere from 5 to 15 percent of passengers designated as "selectees." The "selection" can be as follows:
- Discretion of the contract security agency (like ICTS), who conduct interviews prior to check-in.
- Discretion of the air carrier

Since there are so many more selectees per flight, the airlines and their contractors end up "selecting" far more passengers than usual. And I do not think that they take any trusted traveller information into account. It would make a lot of sense to do that, but they don't.

It is exceptionally common to be a high-level elite frequent flyer vetted with Global Entry but receive "SSSS" on a flight from Edmonton to Denver.

The only difference is that "SSSS" in other countries is usually far less onerous than in the United States. In Canada, it means a body scanner. In some countries, it might just mean a glance at your hand luggage.

I am especially flummoxed by the rule applying to Canada. CATSA and the TSA negotiated to have transborder flights meet all TSA standards so that these flights arrive in sterile parts of US airports. This is why one has to remove shoes at Canadian airports for US-bound flights but not for other flights. Since they have "enhanced" the screening process for everyone, why do they need all of the selectees?

If it makes you feel any better, Global Entry should keep you in PreCheck mode for flights operated by US carriers and Air Canada departing from the USA. Unless the "random" alarm beeps on the metal detector, you should not expect SSSS for flights within the US or departing the US. Anyone can be a victim of the SSSS for flights to the US.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
This does indeed make me feel a lot better. Thanks so much for the response!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I'm UA Platinum with Global Entry, and was recently tagged with SSSS on my first two domestic flights after getting the GE - some of my experience is curiously similar to past postings in this forum so thought I'd share and ask for any recommendations?

January: applied for Global Entry and scheduled interview
Late May: TK SFO-IST for a two week trip, with a couple of domestic TK flights in country (to ASR and ADB) during that time. Returned TK ADB-IST-SFO in biz class (very nice).
Mid June: Global Entry interview and approval at SFO (yes that's how long the lead time was at SFO - first available appt) Immediately updated all profiles and all future reservations with my new known traveler #.
Late June: SFO-LAS on Virgin America. Not allowed to checkin online or on the phone, at the counter my bp was tagged with SSSS. Most horrible scan and physical search experience ever.
Two days later: LAS-SFO on UA, complimentary upgrade to First was cleared 3 days in advance. Couldn't get bp on mobile or by calling the premier desk, was directed to see customer service at the airport (at this point I knew what was coming, so I offloaded half of my carryon's contents into a family member's luggage - less for them to rifle through at security). Sure enough, SSSS at LAS, but the experience was much more pleasant, efficient and expeditious. Sympathetic TSA agents as I'm fighting back tears, upset that this has happened to me twice within three days.

Maybe it's a combination of having just been to Turkey, and just getting my GE, but is this SSSS going to keep happening to me on domestic flights? My next two flights in July & Sept are domestic and I am dreading it. Do you think I should apply for redress or give it time and hope it goes away?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm very sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I only recall getting the SSSS twice in my life, and both times happened when I had one-way tickets. They were both so long ago that I really don't remember much about what happened either time (well other than one, I was flying WN, and was the last on the plane. they knew there was 1 seat available, and asked someone in that row to ring the call button so I didn't have to search for it).

Originally Posted by alohamolly
Late June: SFO-LAS on Virgin America. Not allowed to checkin online or on the phone, at the counter my bp was tagged with SSSS. Most horrible scan and physical search experience ever.
As for this, I really hope you take the time to submit a complaint. There are several methods available here:
https://www.tsa.gov/contact/customer-service

I've also heard that working with your US Representative could help.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k

Maybe it's a combination of having just been to Turkey, and just getting my GE, but is this SSSS going to keep happening to me on domestic flights? My next two flights in July & Sept are domestic and I am dreading it. Do you think I should apply for redress or give it time and hope it goes away?
Sorry for the issues

Most likely because or Turkey + one way. Doesn't hurt to apply for redress but will almost definitely happen on your July trip. September you may get lucky. Please report back.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Although I am an American citizen I have a Hebrew name which many TSA and airline personnel could easily think is Arabic. In the first year or two after 9/11 I was SSSSed repeatedly. It wasn't a horror -- it generally added about 5 minutes onto the process of checking me.

Yes, I was glad when it ended but I never worried much about it nor would I have let it keep me from taking a flight.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
Although I am an American citizen I have a Hebrew name which many TSA and airline personnel could easily think is Arabic. In the first year or two after 9/11 I was SSSSed repeatedly. It wasn't a horror -- it generally added about 5 minutes onto the process of checking me.

Yes, I was glad when it ended but I never worried much about it nor would I have let it keep me from taking a flight.
Times have changed and the new SSSS is 10X as worse with swabs of everything and it could add about 20 minutes extra to your screening since some screeners have to get a special approval stamp from a STSO. It can help, though, if you are in a long screening line post document check as they will usher you away so you can't "slip away" and this gets you to a screener first.

Pretty sad but this is the age we live in.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Thanks for the input, aztimm & samosa. Will report back. My next few flights are roundtrip so I'm hoping for the best.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:48 am

Thanks for the input, aztimm & samosa. Will report back. My next few flights are roundtrip so I'm hoping for the best.
Just to clarify, the data points after you get ssss show that it doesn't matter where you travel and whether it is one way or r/t, in case you changed any travel plans.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM
Global Entry - don't get pre-check - related to a security incident?

My family of 5 all have GE (2 adults, 3 children under 14). We just completed a three week European vacation and on one leg (Norwegian Shuttle, MMX - ARN), my wife had an issue with security. We were traveling with liquid Children's Motrin in a small bottle - it was in the original box/packaging and we had that package in a plastic bag per security requirements. We presented the medication to the screener where they said they needed to test it. No problem, we have been traveling with it through many other European airports without issue. Then, the screener said we have a problem in that it tested positive on two machine for explosives! The lead screener came over with two other security agents, went through my wife's carry on thoroughly did more screening on her. After several minutes, the lead screener said it was clear it wasn't a threat but that my wife needed to complete a form that recorded the "incident" - and, she let us keep the meds and we went on our way. The form didn't log her passport number or boarding pass - just her name and flight number. The next flight we took (Delta, ARN-JFK), my wife had the dreaded SSSS marking on her boarding pass and her subsequent boarding pass from JFK-YYZ didn't have TSA PC marking - the other four of us were OK. So, when we had to go through security again at JFK, she had to wait 30 minutes through the standard line while the other four of us zipped through.

We didn't have a problem with GE terminals (except that half my kids get flagged for no biometrics on file but that is another story) - but I find it hard to believe the security event at MMX is not related to her getting flagged - we have never been flagged before and all of us had 100% TSA PC before that flight. My question is, will she be removed from TSA PC and forever be flagged for additional screening? Or, is there a way to clear this up to prevent issues going forward?

Thanks,
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:55 pm

I kept getting SSS on return flights after an incident 2 yrs ago after an incident. CBP agent at jet bridgeway, mostly probably was determined to catch Asian looking people with undeclared cash. MY wife I and 16 months old sleeping baby in her arms were asked by the female agentabout any cash we had. We told her we have $300. I guess she didn't believe and wanted to see all our passports. She than made us sign a paper and the cash amount we had with us and then asked all sorts of personal questions, ransacked everything. This was all while people are walking to board the plane to Asia.

After all this and not finding us lying or doing anything wrong, she wrote down my passport number and gave back our passports. I am sure she didn't copy my passport number to say " thank you for complying with law." We never argued with the CBP agent. On return flight after that, I had SSSS . Filed TSA readdress and I still got SSSS on my most recent international return flight again. Thankfully the airport security agents at the overseas understood the SSSS on me didn't make any sense with my child and wife and didn't bother and didn't harass me much.

I am furious about this and very sad what she did. Maybe I will raise this to the CBP agent during my GE interview and see what he or she says.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Jul 6, 2016 at 3:15 pm Reason: Vulgarity
Old Jul 6, 2016, 1:57 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
International flights into the US seem to have a percentage and/or number of people who must be selected, regardless of their status. I was flagged last year flying CDG-SEA despite NEXUS, and there wasn't any "incident" on my DUB-CDG flight....
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by rileydogmi
My family of 5 all have GE (2 adults, 3 children under 14). We just completed a three week European vacation and on one leg (Norwegian Shuttle, MMX - ARN), my wife had an issue with security. We were traveling with liquid Children's Motrin in a small bottle - it was in the original box/packaging and we had that package in a plastic bag per security requirements. We presented the medication to the screener where they said they needed to test it. No problem, we have been traveling with it through many other European airports without issue. Then, the screener said we have a problem in that it tested positive on two machine for explosives! The lead screener came over with two other security agents, went through my wife's carry on thoroughly did more screening on her. After several minutes, the lead screener said it was clear it wasn't a threat but that my wife needed to complete a form that recorded the "incident" - and, she let us keep the meds and we went on our way. The form didn't log her passport number or boarding pass - just her name and flight number. The next flight we took (Delta, ARN-JFK), my wife had the dreaded SSSS marking on her boarding pass and her subsequent boarding pass from JFK-YYZ didn't have TSA PC marking - the other four of us were OK. So, when we had to go through security again at JFK, she had to wait 30 minutes through the standard line while the other four of us zipped through.

We didn't have a problem with GE terminals (except that half my kids get flagged for no biometrics on file but that is another story) - but I find it hard to believe the security event at MMX is not related to her getting flagged - we have never been flagged before and all of us had 100% TSA PC before that flight. My question is, will she be removed from TSA PC and forever be flagged for additional screening? Or, is there a way to clear this up to prevent issues going forward?

Thanks,
I am not aware of any arrangement between Sweden and the US to share information but there may be something that was shared regarding the extra screening similar to how flights to the US can get you SSSS which are screened by local airport staff. SSSS can have two consequences-- airport screening and/or customs/immigration. As CKDGM stated, there seems to be a quote for the TSA SSSS for number of individuals and there is a race/religion/travel pattern factor for the CBP SSSS which also gives you the TSA treatment normally. I'll say that I have heard allegations that special meal orders on flights to europe have gotten people SSSS-ed which is crazy.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
MY wife I and 16 year old sleeping baby in her arms were asked by the female agentabout any cash we had.
I would also find it very suspicious if your wife had a 16-year-old sleeping baby in her arms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.