Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did I get the dreaded SSSS despite my GE/Pre✓/Nexus status? [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:31 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some <SSSS> flagging is a product of the airline; some is a product of governmental blacklisting and/or selection that may be targeted and/or "random" in some ways; and some is a product of a mix of the mentioned.
The only times I get it anymore, it's clearly the airline at fault (obviously many others are due to government blacklisting). Last time it happened, UA tried to blame it on DHS and said they must have "flagged" some aspect of my travels. (LOL given it was a standard route for me never before or since getting flagged...)

If I'm able to undo check-in and recheck-in, the SSSS has often gone away for me, too, further indicating that for me, the few times it happens, SSSS is an airline and random selection vs. a DHS one.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 12, 2017 at 7:07 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have been flagged 4 times.

when in fLL, to dca, i was flagged. the plane would not start(airbus310). we offloaded. i ran to the front counter, and got a new ticket on US. got another SSSS. i figured my name on that day was the lucky one.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I fly (return trip) ZRH(Zurich)-JFK fairly often. Once I got SSSS, I was subject to MINIMAL extra scanning; the agent had a list of names (15 or so) who were also SSSS'd--in general this is a random event.
PS: My bps ZRH-JFK usually have "TSA PRE-CHECK", even in the westbound direction, which has NO TSA.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:03 pm

Pre Check and SSSS on same trip - why? Am I in trouble?

I recently started this trip all on one AA issued ticket.
I am also EXP and a long time Pre Check/Global Entry member.
The ticket was issued a few months ago and reissued with a schedule change back in November.

DFW-FRA AA - received Pre Check
FRA-AUH AA flight number EY operated
AUH-JAI EY operated

JAI-AUH EY operated
AUH-DOH EY operated
DOH-LHR AA flight number QR operated
LHR-JFK AA - received Pre Check even though not valid at LHR

Now I am overnighting in NY and taking the LGA-DCA shuttle operated by AA tomorrow. Again all on one ticket.

When I landed at JFK I used Global Entry successfully and after leaving customs tried to check in on my phone for tomorrow's flight. It said I am checked in but needed to get a boarding pass at the airport. I stopped by the desk at JFK before leaving the airport and she printed the boarding pass.

I got SSSS.

Do you think this was random or based on my destinations?

On rare occasion, and I do mean rare occasion, I've had Pre Check not appear on various domestic trips but not SSSS. I've also done this itinerary many times before and haven't gotten SSSS.

Anyone have experience with this? Do you think this is a one time thing or do you think these destinations have me off the Pre Check list for good?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by chuck1
....Anyone have experience with this? Do you think this is a one time thing or do you think these destinations have me off the Pre Check list for good?

Airlines claim it's random. TSA claims it's random, even for those of us with GE.

If you are curious about the details of my multiple experiences this year, PM.

Annoying as it is, I opted for pat-down last time. Got a nice back massage,
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:12 am

When I went to check my bag at LGA this morning, the agents at LGA were surprised about the SSSS. I went through the check point at TSA and was handed off to a nice supervisor who talked me through the metal detector, the thing where you hold your hands up and then to an area when two polite guys wanded my carry on, hands and gave me a comprehensive pat down.

I'd say it took about 10-12 minutes.

The supervisor said she was quite surprised that a TSA Pre Check, Executive Platinum and Global Entry member got SSSS. She suggested I call in but couldn't give me a number. I asked her if people with those credentials got SSSS and she said not often but sometimes but couldn't give more information.

For ID, I gave her a copy of my Global Entry card. I noticed they made a xerox of my boarding pass and Global Entry card. When I was finished, I saw her on the phone making some notes (I couldn't tell what and she wasn't volunteering) on the paper where she copied the information.

Perhaps she was curious herself as to why the system flagged me and she is forbidden to disclose that information or maybe they have to get some kind of release number once they are done with the procedure?

Overall, it wasn't too bad. They were polite and efficient. However, if it was busy and I had my roller board (rather than checking) this would be a deterrent to travel. I almost forgot to take off my shoes (required since no Pre Check). I would imagine a roller board full of clothes and toiletries rather than just a lap top bag with some papers would take a lot more time.

I'm anxious about my next trip to see if this is a one off thing or I've been flagged because of the destinations on this itinerary prior to this segment.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As this seems much more to do with TSA than AA, I'll move over to the TSS forum.

Thanks!

aztimm
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm anxious about my next trip to see if this is a one off thing or I've been flagged because of the destinations on this itinerary prior to this segment.
I wouldn't fret about it. There's nothing suspect about your destination(s), and even the best of us get SSSS once in a rare while (as this Global Entry, Precheck, EXP has)
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:12 am

Even more odd - my flight just cancelled 30 minutes prior to departure due to a mechanical issue. AA rebooked me on their next flight - and voila - Pre Check on the new boarding pass still on the same PNR.

How odd.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:05 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I'm inclined to believe it's destination. I have Global Entry and I'm CX Emerald and I had it for four months straight.

The check in agent even said to me, you're one of the very few DMs (Emerald), that consistently get it. They know a day in advance who gets the SSSS.

I might add, upon entering the USA using GE, I had a big fat X across my pic. I was interviewed for 30 minutes plus waiting for an agent to interview.

After I stopped going there, the SSSS stopped as well.

Last edited by 77W_12A; Jan 7, 2016 at 10:10 am
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Even more odd - my flight just cancelled 30 minutes prior to departure due to a mechanical issue. AA rebooked me on their next flight - and voila - Pre Check on the new boarding pass still on the same PNR.

How odd.
AAgents in the US can often remove the haraSSSSment flags for AA flights -- rather easily when it's AA involved in selecting passengers from an AA international flight to the US who got flagged for haraSSSSment on the continuing domestic US connection flight.

If you're on a government blacklist of some sort where the government specifies who is to be a haraSSSSment target, it's a sort of different story.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:03 am
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You should presume that this was either random or a one-off until it is not. And there is no way to tell that it is not until it is not. The only oddity in your narrative is that you apparently provided a copy of your GE card, but they took a photocopy of the card itself. I'm not sure I understand that. The rest sounds pretty normal.

The next time you fly, see if you are back to Pre-Check with no "SSSS" presuming that you are flying a participating Pre-Check carrier. If you are, I would quit worrying. If you are hit again, I would pursue a redress #.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Similar happened to me last week.
Flight to Mexico was fine with Pre check (using GE) out of PHL to DFW to PVR.
When checking in for the return, I got the message that I was checked in but couldn't print boarding pass. while checking bags, I noticed the SSSS on the new pass.
2nd going down the jet way and they called me over for the screening. Swabbed my bag, hands and shoes but no additional pat-down.

Successfully used GE in Dallas but after re-checking bags I tried to get a new boarding pass with pre check. Agent tried but was unsuccessful Guess the whole return was flagged. Got through the regular TSA lane but did not need secondary screening, at least. Hope it's not my turn for a while!!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:14 pm

As I mentioned I'm hoping this won't be necessary as my flight with the SSSS got cancelled and the new rebooked flight got pre check but what is redress?

If you need it, can you get one and still get Pre Check?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Redress is the process established by DHS to address situations where an individual believes that they have been wrongfully added to one or more lists resulting in denial of Pre-check, addition to "SSSS" or worse. Simple examples occur when your name and date of birth are a close match to a "bad guy."

If your concern is validated, you would be issued a redress # which you would enter into your record in the same way that you enter your KTN for Pre-Check.

It is far from a sure thing and can take forever (and a day). But, as others note. Do not even begin to think about this yet. You've had one denial of Pre-Check with a single "SSSS". Don't give it a second thought until and unless there is a reason to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.