Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WIRunner
TSAPressSec, Ross, is the TSA's official rep on FlyerTalk. He has agreed to answer questions, though some answers will take time. You can also contact on him on Twitter: @TSAMedia_RossF.

Note these important posts by Ross:
Unfortunately, I can't devote all my time to this site, as I still have other job requirements, etc. So please be patient with me...especially on my third day here. However, I will go back to our experts to answer these questions that have been posed above. I know the moderator is working on a better system to sort questions in the appropriate threads.
and
Many, many questions, and I am working to get answers. I have thick skin, and want to assist in answering them. I apologize for the delay, but I was out of the office on personal leave.

With that being said, please be patient. Some of the questions have to be researched, and I want to vet them with the appropriate personnel internally before I post them here.
Below are questions so far answered (or not) in this thread:
  1. Question:
    I was the lucky random beep at the WTMD in PreCheck tonight at Portland. Instead of the quick hand swab, I was sent to the MMW. Since nobody uses it, the MMW has to be fired up, calibrated then I was told not to remove my belt, wallet or shoes. Of course those two required me to be patted down. Checkpoint supe and all three TSOs said it's a new, nationwide policy that started a few days ago. So, why the change? It added an extra two minutes tonight, but I was the only one in PreCheck. If this happens at 6-7a, it's going to make it a total mess....
    Answer:
    Yes. We are going to expand the use of Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) in TSA Pre✓™ at select checkpoints. However, the vast majority of passengers in TSA Pre✓™ will still be screened via a walk-through metal detector. This will primarily be rolled out at larger airports with more than one TSA Pre✓™ lane.

TSA Pre✓™ eligible passengers, who prefer to be screened via an AIT, will now have the opportunity to do so at these select checkpoints. Many passengers with joint replacements, prosthetics or other medical devices that would regularly alarm when passing through a walk-through metal detector often prefer this technology because it is quicker and less invasive than a pat-down. Unlike standard lanes, passengers will not be required to divest their shoes, light outerwear and/or belt in the AIT.

Previously, if a passenger alarmed when passing through the walk-through metal detector after multiple passes, that passenger would be required to receive a pat-down. Passengers at these select TSA Pre✓™ checkpoints, where available, will now have the option of being screened via AIT, possibly precluding the need for a pat-down.
  2. Question:
    Is there a clear/public way for dealing with complaints against TSOs?
    Answer:
    Yes. Definitely. I know you may not believe it, but all complaints do get forwarded to the TSA leadership at that airport to investigate. Two different ways to contact us to report this -- and we want travelers to provide feedback so it can be addressed ASAP. The more details, the better.

For example, someone last night posted something on twitter regarding an interaction with one of our employees. We immediately flagged that for our leadership at the airport so it can be addressed.

Option 1: You can submit comments electronically using this form.
    Option 2: Call 1-866-289-9673 or email [email protected]
  3. Question:
    Is it a requirement for a pax to state their name when asked by the TDC as according to the regs, the only things needed to enter the secure are are an I/D containing a picture of the pax standing in front of the TDC and a boarding pass for a flight on that date with the name on the boarding passs matching the name on the I/D presented by the pax-and if it is in fact required, why is this procedure not followed at every airport that I travel thru (and this is at airports where the lines at the checkpoints are both horrendously long and empty?
    Answer:
    I travel often, and this is the first time I have heard this. It is just matching the name to the BP, and verifying origin/date, etc. Sometimes a BDO might talk with the pax. But let me take this back to some of our experts to find out. As I said above, I don't have all of the answers, but promise to see what I can find out.
  4. Question: Where can I find a listing of TSA Twitter feeds?
    Answer: All of the TSA Twitter accounts are listed here.

For a full list of all posts by TSAPressSec, view their profile here: TSAPressSec and select the Find All Posts By TSAPressSec
Print Wikipost

Greetings from TSA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:18 pm
Company Representative, TSA
Original Poster

Greetings from TSA

Hello, FlyerTalk. My name is Ross, and I am the press secretary for TSA in Washington, D.C.

I have used FT for many years in my personal capacity, but thought it was time to join FT in my official capacity.

I know many of you have questions regarding our programs/policies, etc., and I am going to do my best to assist and point you in the right direction.

Look forward to chatting with you.

-Ross
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:35 pm
In Memoriam

Hi Ross, welcome (in the official capacity) and thanks for being here.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Welcome to Flyertalk in your official capacity ^ and thank you for doing this ^. I "have a feeling" that you're gonna be getting a whole lot of work here and as I'm sure you know from your personal trips to F/t, we can be a tough crowd but I do hope that you'll be able to provide insight and help as the situations arise. Again, welcome ^ and thanks for donning your armor

Now if I may ask a very simple question...

Is it a requirement for a pax to state their name when asked by the TDC as according to the regs, the only things needed to enter the secure are are an I/D containing a picture of the pax standing in front of the TDC and a boarding pass for a flight on that date with the name on the boarding passs matching the name on the I/D presented by the pax-and if it is in fact required, why is this procedure not followed at every airport that I travel thru (and this is at airports where the lines at the checkpoints are both horrendously long and empty?

Ok, so it was more than one question but I'd still like to know the answer (and I'm sure others would like to know as well)

Last edited by goalie; Jun 20, 2014 at 3:06 pm Reason: added a question
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
Welcome to Flyertalk in your official capacity ^ and thank you for doing this ^. I "have a feeling" that you're gonna be getting a whole lot of work here and as I'm sure you know from your personal trips to F/t, we can be a tough crowd but I do hope that you'll be able to provide insight and help as the situations arise. Again, welcome ^ and thanks for donning your armor
I am ready...I think...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:06 pm

Welcome aboard Ross... looking forward to your perspective
as an insider.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TSAPressSec
Hello, FlyerTalk. My name is Ross, and I am the press secretary for TSA in Washington, D.C.

I have used FT for many years in my personal capacity, but thought it was time to join FT in my official capacity.

I know many of you have questions regarding our programs/policies, etc., and I am going to do my best to assist and point you in the right direction.

-Ross
Welcome.

I have to give you credit for setting up your employer for a duly critical audience.

How long ago was this engagement with FT started -- as in when was TSA approached or FT approached by TSA to have this role here?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Welcome.

I have to give you credit for setting up your employer for a duly critical audience.

How long ago was this engagement with FT started -- as in when was TSA approached or FT approached by TSA to have this role here?
About two weeks ago I personally contacted FT regarding this. Just the way I converse with travelers via twitter (@TSAMedia_RossF), it is beneficial to speak with you via FT. Not sure why we didn't do this before. We have a very small staff within our public affairs office, so this is just something that I plan on doing personally.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
About two weeks ago I personally contacted FT regarding this. Just the way I converse with travelers via twitter (@TSAMedia_RossF), it is beneficial to speak with you via FT. Not sure why we didn't do this before. We have a very small staff within our public affairs office, so this is just something that I plan on doing personally.
Thanks for the info. It will be nice to have someone from TSA here officially. Has FT been identified as an influencer source of problems for the TSA with the media looking here for stories about the TSA?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Thanks for the info. It will be nice to have someone from TSA here officially. Has FT been identified as an influencer source of problems for the TSA with the media looking here for stories about the TSA?
No. The truth is we should have been on FT a long time ago. I have monitored FT on my personal account for years, and in my position at TSA, I wanted to respond and provide answers to many of your unanswered questions.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Welcome.
I hope you have thick skin.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:54 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-Ross
Welcome! I appreciate the official presence here and look forward to your participation.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Welcome to FlyerTalk, Ross.

Hopefully we can work together towards creating a safe environment for travelers while also reducing or eliminating the hassles of travel.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:38 pm

Ross,
It's great to have you here.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
You have huge brass ones for volunteering to post here. ^ ^ ^

Don't take the bait from the trolls. Very few people in this forum seem to be even remotely supportive of the TSA, and most are way beyond hostile. Learn how the ignore list works.

Good luck!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
You have huge brass ones for volunteering to post here.

Don't take the bait from the trolls. Very few people in this forum seem to be even remotely supportive of the TSA, and most are way beyond hostile. Learn how the ignore list works.

Good luck!
it's not so much as taking the bait from the trolls but imho, a lot of us here would simply like TSO's to be consistent in procedure from airport to airport as opposed to the old "two rabbis, there opinions" route and I'm not talking about all of the "randomness" that the TSA tours but simply that if the procedure is to do "A" and you get "A", why do do some TSO's do "B" and when a pax is presented with a situation at a checkpoint where the TSO is wrong (nd wrong in terms of what is publicly stated by the TSA), it takes a 3 striper, a 2 striper, the TSO invoked, two LEO's, a suit plus two foxes, a chicken and a pig to attempt to resolve the situation?

So with all of that, it's not being anti-TSA for me but just wanting proper training and consistency in following one's own procedures

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.