Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

PreCheck, PreCheck-Light, Quasi-PreCheck in Regular Lanes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PreCheck, PreCheck-Light, Quasi-PreCheck in Regular Lanes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I got "expedited" screening at DFW terminal D D18 last week, when pre-check was open at a different checkpoint D30. (I just didn't feel like walking down there, and there was no line at the D18 preferred lane). The TSO saw I had precheck and told me I could keep shoes on and use metal detector; I just had to takeout laptop and any liquids. I was able to keep non-metal in my pockets.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:08 pm

Back in May I got Precheck lite at JFK T7.

Initially the TSA agent wasn't even scanning boarding passes and argued with me that Air Canada didn't have Precheck (even though it was clearly printed on my boarding pass.) Once she actually had the brain to scan my boarding pass which led to three beeps, she handed me a laminated green card and I was sent to the regular line. Laptop, liquids bag out, but shoes, jacket and belt remained on for WTMD screening.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite, United Silver
I went through the Sky Priority lane at AUS a few weeks ago even though I had PreCheck on my BP because I was traveling with a companion who didn't have it. The agent checking my ID told me since I had Pre I could go through the body scanner with my shoes on, but all other procedures were the same. I was allowed into the machine with my shoes and cleared promptly.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I've had "expedited" at 3 airports.

1) FAT - No dedicated Pre Check lane that I could see. Was handed the card, told that a laptop (not not tablet) had to come out, but freedom baggie could stay in and I could keep jacket, shoes, etc. on through WTMD.

2) EWR A, AC side - Again, no dedicated lane. Handed a long, unlaminated "ticket" as they called it and walked through. Same deal.

3) PWM - There is a dedicated Pre Check lane at PWM, but it was closed when I went through today. Instead, they have laminated orange cards. At PWM, laptops and freedom baggies come out in this process, but you go through WTMD and do the normal. Clerk reran my tablet, which was annoying.

Originally Posted by CDKing
Did TSA get rid of the laminated cards they give out when you triple beep at a non-precheck lane?
Some airports have laminated cards, some don't. They are different sizes and colors. I'm thinking they are just made with whatever is around.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:30 am

Went through BDL last night, precheck lanes were closed and I asked the TSA person if we could keep our shoes on since we had precheck and the answer was "No, not at this airport."

It's kind of annoying to have TSA push precheck so hard and then have it completely ignored. It's also kind of ridiculous that the security rules vary so much from airport to airport.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:02 pm

I got quasi-Precheck at the ATL international terminal last Monday morning (6 am Air Canada flight to YYZ; the place was basically deserted except us), when the dedicated Precheck line was closed. They gave me a laminated yellow card; laptop and 3-1-1 had to come out of the carry-on but I didn't have to remove shoes. Seemed like they were only using the WTMD anyway.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
No PreCheck at EWR, but got a yellow card from TSA

Haven't flown UA in a long time, but added my KTN on an itinerary out of EWR yesterday and got PreCheck on my boarding pass. Flight was on an RJ out of Terminal A, where there is no PreCheck line.

After hearing the three beeps from my boarding pass, the TSA ID checker sent me to the rightmost line with no nude-o-scope, and gave me a yellow card saying something to the effect of "This card allows the passenger to keep shoes and light jackets on while going through the metal detector, and must be surrendered to TSA after clearing the checkpoint."

It looked like everyone near me in this line had the yellow card and at least one person in their party was PreCheck designated. The line moved painfully slow, though, due to a Hudson News employee bringing a couple of carts full of food/beverage through.

Why doesn't EWR just put a PreCheck line in at this checkpoint? Makes no sense to have "PreCheck lite" when they dedicate a whole line to PreCheck passengers anyway.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:03 pm

Experienced the same thing at RSW, but it was a pink card and it only allowed me to keep my shoes on. Pre Check was closed.

I asked if I still had to go through the nude-o-scope and they said yes. I refused, so I got a pat-down. The TSA agent who patted me down saw the slip and told me I could have just gone through the metal detector since I had PreCheck I told her I was told otherwise before the checkpoint, and was told to "remember it for next time". Ugh.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:56 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
last week at DFW terminal E the precheck was already closed for the evening but they were doing a precheck-lite [sic] at one checkpoint and actually asking everyone if they had precheck on their BPs to show them and they then got to go through the WTMD while everyone else was MMW.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I've done PC Lite in a few places: FAR, DFW (non PC checkpoint), BDL (after PC closed early), and LEX (just this past week).

The lack of full PC has to do, supposedly, with the x-ray in use at the checkpoint. Notice that the rules for the scan of carry-ons doesn't change with PC Lite (laptops and liquid baggies out)?

I don't know if it is any/all/none of the following limiting the x-ray: hardware version, software version, training, sunspots, etc.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I've done PC Lite in a few places: FAR, DFW (non PC checkpoint), BDL (after PC closed early), and LEX (just this past week).

The lack of full PC has to do, supposedly, with the x-ray in use at the checkpoint. Notice that the rules for the scan of carry-ons doesn't change with PC Lite (laptops and liquid baggies out)?

I don't know if it is any/all/none of the following limiting the x-ray: hardware version, software version, training, sunspots, etc.
I went thru BDL this summer and did not get any PC lite (was hoping to keep my shoes on), but not sure if it was "after hours" for PC.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Very common at checkpoints where there is PC, but not at all times.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Very common at checkpoints where there is PC, but not at all times.
Many smaller airports also have only PreCheck lite. Some listed above, also have done this at MCI and EUG. Also at LGA, EWR when PreCheck was closed.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt

Had my first experience with this at MCI this weekend. This is one airport where it really makes sense, as a PreCheck lane at even half of the airport's checkpoints would be an inefficient use of space and personnel (since each checkpoint covers something like three or four gates).

In regards to the question about the x-ray, common sense tells me that it is because it's too difficult to know whose bag you are looking at on the screen. In other words, there's no equivalent of the yellow cards for the bag, so when the ba passes through, it's impossible to tell whether the laptop you see is supposed to be there (because the bag's owner has PreCheck) or not (because the bag's owner doesn't).
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:53 am

Precheck confirmation in regular lane.

In my travels I have noticed that airports have different methods for "confirming" precheck in regular lanes.

Why use a regular lane when you have precheck, some times precheck is closed, sometimes the regular lane is shorter.

At some airports a mark is made on the BP confirming the 3 beeps. This mark is shown to the metal detector person and shoes are permitted to stay on. Another airport uses a card of sorts. 3 beeps, you are handed a card and told "show this to" and keep your shoes on. I was in an International Airport of the Western states and was told to do was "Show them your BP with precheck on it". The airport security seemed to operate on a honor system of the traveler not using a fake precheck BP once past the BP checker. Has anyone else experienced this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.