Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Can I be denied due to import counterfeit products?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:23 am
Previously known as Houranis
Original Poster

Hi,
Last year, my friend shipped me few tablet cases without telling me, and US customs seized products because they were counterfeit and I got a seizure letter then, anyway I immediately sent a letter to US customs that time explaining the detailed situation, it's was long story, no need to tell it here, and nothing new happened since then.
However, I'm trying to apply for Global Entry, will that affect the approval?

I don't want to pay $100 if there's a good chance not to get approved.
Anyway I'm not a frequent international traveller, just mostly domestic, but I saw that Global Entry costs $15 extra to TSA Precheck, and Global Entry includes TSA Precheck.

I'm a US citizen, have no criminal activity, never tried to bring prohibited items at airports.

Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
YMMV, but I think you're OK. The seizure wasn't tied to your passport (like when you're entering the country) and you did nothing wrong - someone just sent you something that was seized - beyond your control.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
+1. Given that you say the tablets were shipped to you without your knowledge, that seems like a basis to explain any inquiry that might occur. Be sure to be prepared to discuss it at the interview.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite

It might matter what "a few" is. 3 may not matter. A case of 50 may be of more concern.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

My application was denied

Hi,
I applied for Global Entry, and my application has been disapproved for the following reason(s):
Other
You do not meet the program eligibility requirements.

Is appealing worth it? is it better to appeal by mail or by person?

P.S. I have no criminal record.

Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
it looks like this may be why

This could be a problem - but you've already spent the $$ so you may as well appeal.

The official answer is below
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ication-denied
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squeakr

This could be a problem - but you've already spent the $$ so you may as well appeal.

The official answer is below
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ication-denied
Yes, I know that could be the problem, that's why I posted it, but I thought they would ask me about it in the interview since I had nothing to with it and put the explanation in the application.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Houranis
Yes, I know that could be the problem, that's why I posted it, but I thought they would ask me about it in the interview since I had nothing to with it and put the explanation in the application.
Some may take your post in that linked thread as an indication of having possibly had things taken into the country illegally even if by means other than yourself coming in by air and having the contraband in your own checked luggage.

Being considered to have had willful intention to have contraband imported into a country and having such items become CBP-seized goods with your name on it could result in GE denial. Importing contraband is considered problematic even if the will to import such was lacking.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:22 am

If you had mail seized by customs at any current or former address, the Global Entry interviewer will definitely have a record of it and ask about it. Even if you're honest about the situation still expect to be denied. Keep in mind that the purpose of the Global Entry program is customs controls and compliance, not airport security.

I would strong suggest to apply first/only to TSA PreCheck. If you apply for Global Entry and are rejected, when you try to fall back to the TSA PreCheck application you will have to document and explain the Global Entry rejection.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:51 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boston02115
If you apply for Global Entry and are rejected, when you try to fall back to the TSA PreCheck application you will have to document and explain the Global Entry rejection.
Really?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:49 pm
Suspended

If you had mail seized by customs at any current or former address, the Global Entry interviewer will definitely have a record of it and ask about it.
Absolutely.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:37 am
Original Poster

If you had mail seized by customs at any current or former address, the Global Entry interviewer will definitely have a record of it and ask about it. Even if you're honest about the situation still expect to be denied. Keep in mind that the purpose of the Global Entry program is customs controls and compliance, not airport security.

I would strong suggest to apply first/only to TSA PreCheck. If you apply for Global Entry and are rejected, when you try to fall back to the TSA PreCheck application you will have to document and explain the Global Entry rejection.
I got approved after appeal was submitted, and Global Entry interviewer never asked me about the seized mail. Everything went ok, and I received the card.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Houranis
I got approved after appeal was submitted, and Global Entry interviewer never asked me about the seized mail. Everything went ok, and I received the card.
Can you detail at all the who/how's of your appeal?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Can you detail at all the who/how's of your appeal?
At first, it was declined with no given reason, I submitted an email appeal to ombudsman explained that I did no violations and have no arrests, it took 9 months to get status changed to approved.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Dunno where you got your information, but there's no truth to this. I know from first-hand experience!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.