Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Most airports there's an officer right after the GE machines. He looks at all GE receipts. If all is good or you got an O he waves you on. You then pickup bags and goto the officer for Customs. He then ... the questions and determines if you need 2ndry.

If you have an X the officer at the GE machines sends you to the front of the line to be processed by immigration. Then once done there you go pickup bags and shoe your receipt (which has been stamped to show you got cleared) customs. Having an X doesn't mean that you get any extra attention at Customs. Just as always they either wave you on or refer you to 2ndry.

Some airports the officer right after the GE machines does the actual customs questioning. As long as they don't think you need 2ndry, you pickup bags and leave with them keeping the receipt before you get bags.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Most airports there's an officer right after the GE machines. He looks at all GE receipts. If all is good or you got an O he waves you on. You then pickup bags and goto the officer for Customs. He then ... the questions and determines if you need 2ndry.
This is the preferred setup because you can easily address an X if you get one. Answering yes to the food question - and I believe any of the other questions on the same screen - will get the O and direct you to customs. The difficulty is the airport setup when you get an X and there's no CBP officer after the kiosks. It happened to me once a few years ago at EWR due to a bad fingerprint read, and I had to swim upstream a bit to find an available lane at passport control.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Curious as to whether anyone has been told to declare liquor as "food" . Because until I hear otherwise I'm not planning to declare the occasional bottle of single malt that falls within the normal limits...

Originally Posted by drewguy
While I agree with this, some CBP agents have been sowing confusion by chastising for declaring chocolates, etc.
+1

Originally Posted by chollie
The zero tolerance rules taught by some CBP agents and the opposite attitude from others, coupled with the changing wording on the kiosk, leads to unnecessary confusion.

The rules say to declare ALL food and some agents define food very narrowly.
Agree. But it's just stupid as every CBP agent has made it crystal clear to me that they don't care about foods that don't fall into the more specifically listed foods (though a few contrary reports earlier on this thread).

As noted above, this change was not implemented until 2015 and it is probably the worst thing I've seen for the GE program because many of us bring back food (packaged or just leftovers) and have to retrain ourselves to answer "yes" when we used to check all the "no" boxes. It's definitely disincentive to bring back food as I've found it to be about 50/50 on whether I get sent to the CBP x-ray machine (which often has a line) or just waived through when they find out I only have chocolates or prepackaged cookies.

Last edited by Boraxo; Sep 24, 2016 at 2:24 am
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Agreed. I've gotten so I just don't bother bringing in food anymore. Not worth the hassle, and there are very few foreign food products that are so unique that I cannot find (either the real thing or a suitable alternative) at Whole Foods.

I carefully go through my bags and remove absolutely anything that possibly could be considered food....even tea bags and breath mints.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
While I wish the question would revert to the specific wording, I don't mind bringing back some food/snacks even if it means having to check yes to the question. Most CBP officers have asked exactly what I'm declaring and waive the ag inspection based on a verbal declaration. I've only been sent to the x-ray a couple of times, and it was pretty speedy for my experiences, even at a place like LAX. (Faster than the Precheck TSA line! )
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Came through IAD yesterday and the food question asked about specific things. No generic reference to food.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I haven't been to ag inspection in a long time for declaring food. In fact, it might have been when they still used the Nexus kiosk's at YYZ, before the GE ones were even in there.

It doesn't bother me to delcare food, especially now that I typically travel with an infant with GE who is too young for fingerprints, so we need to see an agent regardless. Even if I do get the O, sometimes the agent asks what I have, then just stamps us through, other times, they basically ignore the O, ask for documentation and on we go. Once, at SFO, coming back from India, the officer was pretty on, and started asking, without referencing any docs, about any specific spices we might have had. Again, waved right through after answering.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by TWA884
This morning in Los Angeles, the Global Entry kiosk specifically queried about food in addition to fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds and insects. It's the first time that I recall seeing "food" itemized in that particular question. I had none with me, so there was no need to interact with a CBP officer.
Same at Miami earlier this week.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Boraxo
This is why:
  • I always declare food items even though it sometimes requires a baggage detour through the CBP x-ray machine (have been told by several agents that they only care about meat, produce, etc. but they still send me to secondary)
  • I never bring back cuban cigars, fake rolexes, etc.
  • I never bring >1 liter of spirits
  • If >$800 I declare everything on the form (or rather, check the correct box on GE

Unfortunately as OP learned it is hit or miss when you declare the excess goods, as we happily learned on a recent trip where CBP just waved us through.
I was told not to declare chocolate as food, but I do anyway (at least until the question changes or at least they update their website). I know they don't care about it but I answer the question they ask, not the one they mean.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
I was told not to declare chocolate as food, but I do anyway (at least until the question changes or at least they update their website). I know they don't care about it but I answer the question they ask, not the one they mean.
Me too. And I always have all food together and easy to show to CPB/customs officers when I enter the USA. Never meat, fish, fruit or vegetables. To me, the definitional question is whether coffee and tea are food. I don't believe that water is food, despite some statements to the contrary.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Me too. And I always have all food together and easy to show to CPB/customs officers when I enter the USA. Never meat, fish, fruit or vegetables. To me, the definitional question is whether coffee and tea are food. I don't believe that water is food, despite some statements to the contrary.

I believe that plain bottled water does not count as food; nor do alcoholic beverages (although you must declare alcohol if you are bringing in more than your allowable duty-free exemption).

However, flavored water, vitamin water, gatorade powder (whether dissolved into water or not) and similar products DO count as food in my book.

I always discard my tea bags before landing in the USA so that I don't have to declare them.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by sethb
A CBP agent who tells you you don't need to declare 'chocolate' is unintentionally setting you up for an ugly situation, particularly if you have GE at risk.

There ARE types of chocolate that are banned: specifically, old-style KinderEggs and chocolate-covered fruit.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie

There ARE types of chocolate that are banned: specifically, old-style KinderEggs and chocolate-covered fruit.
Ah yes, I forgot about the threat of the century to all American children everywhere. The kinder egg!
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Michilander
Came through IAD yesterday and the food question asked about specific things. No generic reference to food.
Came in they JFK. The word food is still there buried in question 3
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
As in "Are you carrying any meat, plants, vegetables or other agricultural products?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.