Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 15, 13, 6:57 pm   #1

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
Global Entry/Passport Renewal

So i've been reading threads that say you don't have to go in person to update your global entry information once you renew your passport, but my last passport was issued by the Boston Passport Agency, the new one was issued by the US Department of State. When I log on to goes, it does not let me change the issuing agency of the passport. Anyone have any clue as to why that is? Will it be a problem since it does not match my goes account?
Old Nov 20, 13, 11:28 am   #2

Programs: BA, AA, FB
The issuing agency is not part of the machine readable text that the GE machines scan. You shouldn't have any trouble just updating GOES with the new passport number and dates.

If you are concerned, you can always stop by a GE office next time you are at an airport where they have one and have them update your record for you.
Hobbes01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 13, 7:50 pm   #3

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes01 View Post
The issuing agency is not part of the machine readable text that the GE machines scan. You shouldn't have any trouble just updating GOES with the new passport number and dates.

If you are concerned, you can always stop by a GE office next time you are at an airport where they have one and have them update your record for you.
Thx!
Old Nov 26, 13, 11:21 am   #4
Senior Moderator/Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP / 5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think the issuing agency is not significant, but place of issuance expressed as a country (not US city) if not the USA could be an issue requiring further action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes01 View Post

Old Dec 2, 13, 2:12 am   #5

Programs: UA Premier Gold, BA EC Gold, TK Elite, KL Silver
Hello,

I have a question regarding a "special situation". I applied for Global Entry with German passport #1 (valid until 05/22/2014), was conditionally approved and scheduled an interview for Dec 26, 2013. Tonight I have to fly to AUH, my passport was not valid for at least 6 months (necessary for entry into the UAE) and therefore had to be issued a "temporary passport" this morning, which is OK for entry into the UAE but not the US.

I will get a new "real" German passport #2 before flying to the US later this month, but the passport number won't match the one on the Global Entry application. Will I have to apply new for Global Entry or can I show up with the old passport #1, which is valid until 05/22/2014, but marked VOID by the authorities, and the new passport #2?

Basically my question is: Can I change the passport number on an approved GE application before the interview?

Thanks a lot,
sebblum
sebblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 13, 11:22 am   #6

Programs: UA 1K, DL, US/AA
You won't be eligible to use GE until after the interview. Bring your new passport.

If I've misunderstood the situation, and you already have been approved for GE, then you should be able to change the passport number online, by logging into GOES.

Once you get new passport #2 in Germany (I assume), enter that number.
drewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 13, 2:25 am   #7

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebblum View Post
Hello,

I have a question regarding a &quot;special situation&quot;. I applied for Global Entry with German passport #1 (valid until 05/22/2014), was conditionally approved and scheduled an interview for Dec 26, 2013. Tonight I have to fly to AUH, my passport was not valid for at least 6 months (necessary for entry into the UAE) and therefore had to be issued a &quot;temporary passport&quot; this morning, which is OK for entry into the UAE but not the US.

I will get a new &quot;real&quot; German passport #2 before flying to the US later this month, but the passport number won't match the one on the Global Entry application. Will I have to apply new for Global Entry or can I show up with the old passport #1, which is valid until 05/22/2014, but marked VOID by the authorities, and the new passport #2?

Basically my question is: Can I change the passport number on an approved GE application before the interview?

Thanks a lot,
sebblum
Sounds like you have not yet had your interview, correct? Meaning you won't be using GE when you return from AUH, correct?

If that is correct, I would just bring your new passport to your interview, and id proactively mention that it was renewed since you submitted your application. Shouldn't be an issue.

If you want to be extra cautious, if Germany lets you keep your old passport, being that in (they should mark it as expired in that case) or perhaps even a copy of the picture page.
emcampbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 13, 4:06 am   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Sounds like you have not yet had your interview, correct? Meaning you won't be using GE when you return from AUH, correct?

If that is correct, I would just bring your new passport to your interview, and id proactively mention that it was renewed since you submitted your application. Shouldn't be an issue.

If you want to be extra cautious, if Germany lets you keep your old passport, being that in (they should mark it as expired in that case) or perhaps even a copy of the picture page.
Thank you both for your replies. I do not have GE yet and will have the interview on Dec 26th. I will proactively mention that since I submitted it was renewed and will have all old passports with me to explain the situation. Thanks a lot guys Will post an update after the interview, as this might be of interest to others as well.
Old Dec 5, 13, 12:20 pm   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebblum View Post
Thank you both for your replies. I do not have GE yet and will have the interview on Dec 26th. I will proactively mention that since I submitted it was renewed and will have all old passports with me to explain the situation. Thanks a lot guys Will post an update after the interview, as this might be of interest to others as well.
I cannot imagine you having any problems at all arising from the passport renewal.
Old Dec 9, 13, 11:31 pm   #10

----
Just a quick follow-up to the "passport situation" above. It turns out it doesn't really matter with which passport you applied. They swipe your new passport during the interview and then you're good to go. Btw - I really have to say the officers at the enrollment center in ORD were exceptionally nice and professional.

Last edited by sebblum; Jan 7, 14 at 12:38 pm.
Old Jan 17, 14, 8:59 pm   #11
Senior Moderator/Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP / 5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
(Replying to above, IME many of the GE tasked USCBP folks do indeed seem professional and courteous.)

We received our new passports today (issued by the San Francisco Passport Office) and had no trouble logging into the GOES site, using our GOES ID (not your PASSID) number and updating our passport information. (If you do not have an account, it's easy to create one.)

Our old passports were issued by the US Passport Service main office; the page shows the Issuing Authority as NATIONAL PASSPORT CENTER. The passport itself states "Authority: United States Department of State". The apparent anomaly seems to cause no problem (I suspect it's merely interdepartmental "silo" issues.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 17, 14 at 9:04 pm.
JDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 14, 1:22 pm   #12

Programs: Hilton Gold, AVIS President, AA Plat.
We are currently looking to apply for Global Entry but had a question regarding timing. Our passports expire later this year so we are sending them off for renewal tomorrow. As we have no upcoming international travel plans we decided not to pay for the expedited processing and shipping.

We have heard that appointments for interviews at our local office (JFK Airport) can be several weeks out. Should we apply for the program now and choose an interview date later or wait until we receive our passports back?
EWRTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 14, 11:06 am   #13

Programs: Delta Kpyptonium
If I remember correctly, the GE application will want your passport #, so wait until you get the renewed one - it should only take a couple of weeks (I renewed my PP last March and got it back within 10 days, and no expedited service).
rubesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 14, 12:55 pm   #14

You can enter your current passport, and use the new one at the interview. Or, you can change the number online afterwards. Only thing is you need the passport at the interview.

I would opt for applying, using old passport number, and then delay appointment until receiving your new one.
Old Feb 10, 14, 6:23 am   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
You can enter your current passport, and use the new one at the interview. Or, you can change the number online afterwards. Only thing is you need the passport at the interview.

I would opt for applying, using old passport number, and then delay appointment until receiving your new one.
That's exactly what I did and can report no problems whatsoever.