Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck at Small Airports

TSA PreCheck at Small Airports

Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by VWTim
EUG (Eugene, OR) has a Pre-check lane now.

It's let's you pass that huge backup of 3 people

They only have one screening station, so they give you a red card that allows you to keep your shoes and belt on and walk thru the metal detector vs. scanner. Your liquids and laptop must still come out.

Interesting and it did save me 45 seconds to tie my shoes.
EUG's precheck lite setup had been modified with the revamped screening and secure exit setup. You now enter the precheck line from the front but veer to the left of the rope line split, however other than the standalone sign before the entryway, there are no other signs to indicate it's Pre so non-Pre go into it as well.

The shared ID check station has two positions but only the left side will take Pre. The right side takes from the regular line even if there are Precheck pax waiting. No more bypass of regular pax by Pre.

After the id check, all pax go through the same X-ray machines (as before). Still have the yellow Precheck lite cards.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
TOL on 11/26-still PC lite (& I mean 'lite' since these people insist an iPAd is a 'large electronic/laptop' & must come out ). This time they kept the 2 of us PC pax in a separate pen until the rest of the pax (about 6 at that time) were thru before we were allowed to go thru the checkpoint.

I sent a message thru the airport website telling them to than their TSA staff for reminding me why I avoid that airport as much as possible
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ddpg
So has the TSA rolled Pre Check out to smaller airports? I flew out of CLL (College Station, TX) on Monday and they scanned my boarding pass at the ID check and I got the 3 beeps... since it's a small airport they didn't have a dedicated line, but I didn't have to take my shoes off or take liquids and laptop out. I was through security in under a minute.
On FlyerTalk, that setup is commonly referred to as PreCheck-Light:
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
KOA (which is a VERY small airport, so small it doesn't have walls..) has a pre-check lane
There are a few variations of "PreCheck Lite", as it's sometimes referenced. Having a dedicated PreCheck lane at some of the smaller airports doesn't rule out the possibility of the screening being a variation of "PreCheck Lite" for those with the PreCheck indicator for their flight's boarding pass.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:21 pm

FSD last Wed, 1/19, @ 5am-full PC, no issues, no waiting.

This is one of the few airports, btw, that has contractors handling this work instead of the 'real' TSA.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:11 am

HTS on 3/2-PC lite w/the 'suggestion' to remove the laptop. Take the iPad out, too, since that will trigger a full bag check

ID checker gives the pax a laminated yellow card to indicate PC, in addition to telling the bag pusher, who is all of 3 feet away, that the pax is PC.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:25 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
KOA (which is a VERY small airport, so small it doesn't have walls..) has a pre-check lane
I was there a few weeks ago.

While there is a dedicated PreCheck lane to wait for the ID checker, the carry-on luggage passes through the same x-ray machine that is used for the regular security screening lane. Thus, the actual screening is PreCheck light; light coats and shoes on, liquids and computers out.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
FWIW, last time I was through VLD (Valdosta, GA--Nov 2016) they still didn't even give modified Pre/Pre-lite out. They always make an announcement about not having PreCheck. It's not too bad since they only have a WTMD, but it would be nice to keep jacket/shoes/belt on. I may be through again soon, so I'll get to see if they've advanced into modernity.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:09 am

So much to my annoyance I saw an article in the paper last week that our podunk regional airport with its three daily flights is getting a NoS. I assume they'll still have the WTMD to screen pax who are unable to use NoS which hopefully means those of us with pre-check will still get sent through it instead of the <deleted>. Ugh. WTMD only was a big reason I frequently used our airport over going to OMA or FSD.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 15, 2017 at 8:27 am Reason: Term better left for the Policy Debate forum
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:07 am

Just came thru the TOL checkpoint & now, in addition to all the other stupidity outlined previously, they want laptops out of their neoprene sleeves.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:36 am

FAY Fayetville,NC did not have it in October. Still doesn't according to TSA's site.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Honestly, I don't mind Pre Check lite, as it means little, if any, chance of a secondary beep and need to opt out. I travel with a Surface. I take it out, in the case, and half the time I get asked why I take a tablet out. I tell them it is because there are times when morons secondary my bag for it and they roll their eyes.

One reason I don't mind Pre Check lite is because I usually stuff electronics in my jacket, and don't like putting that on the belt.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by N1120A
Honestly, I don't mind Pre Check lite, as it means little, if any, chance of a secondary beep and need to opt out. I travel with a Surface. I take it out, in the case, and half the time I get asked why I take a tablet out. I tell them it is because there are times when morons secondary my bag for it and they roll their eyes.
The sad life as a Surface Pro 3 owner. Larger airports will tend to tell me it's a tablet and that I'm a moron via eye-roll, smaller airports will secondary/yank it out of the bag and use the wand because "it looks like a laptop on the x-ray".
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by phltraveler
The sad life as a Surface Pro 3 owner. Larger airports will tend to tell me it's a tablet and that I'm a moron via eye-roll, smaller airports will secondary/yank it out of the bag and use the wand because "it looks like a laptop on the x-ray".
Yeah, I have the Pro 4 and same thing. It isn't hard to just take out, so I do.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
BTV back in April did not have it. They gave me this card with eyebrow raising quotations and I was allowed to keep my shoes on but had to take my laptop out

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.