Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for land crossing to/from Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry for land crossing to/from Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Read through this and still a little confused. I need to go to Toronto from Buffalo in a rental car. My passport is tied up for a short time to get a visa. Can I get across the border with the Global Entry card (Sentri)? I assume I can get back into the USA with the GE card only (?)
Old Oct 14, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Read through this and still a little confused. I need to go to Toronto from Buffalo in a rental car. My passport is tied up for a short time to get a visa. Can I get across the border with the Global Entry card (Sentri)? I assume I can get back into the USA with the GE card only (?)
Drive from U.S. to Toronto via Buffalo
You need either NEXUS card or U.S. passport to enter Canada. Not access to NEXUS lane.

Drive from Toronto back to U.S.
You have access to Global Entry/NEXUS lane. I am not 100% certain you can enter U.S. with Global Entry card alone. The few times we drove back to U.S. from Vancouver with our Global Entry cards, each time officer wanted to see our U.S. passports.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Drive from U.S. to Toronto via Buffalo
You need either NEXUS card or U.S. passport to enter Canada. Not access to NEXUS lane.

Drive from Toronto back to U.S.
You have access to Global Entry/NEXUS lane. I am not 100% certain you can enter U.S. with Global Entry card alone. The few times we drove back to U.S. from Vancouver with our Global Entry cards, each time officer wanted to see our U.S. passports.
CBP shouldn't have asked for your passport, if you provide a valid Global Entry card. GE cards are WHTI compliant documents, and can be used for entry into the US. GE, Sentri, and NEXUS card holders can use the NEXUS lane into the US.

Only NEXUS card holders can use the NEXUS lanes into Canada.

Of course, with that said, if I have my passport with me and they ask for it, I'll give it to them. But I can cross with just my NEXUS card, in both directions.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by dustman81
CBP shouldn't have asked for your passport, if you provide a valid Global Entry card. GE cards are WHTI compliant documents, and can be used for entry into the US. GE, Sentri, and NEXUS card holders can use the NEXUS lane into the US.

Only NEXUS card holders can use the NEXUS lanes into Canada.

Of course, with that said, if I have my passport with me and they ask for it, I'll give it to them. But I can cross with just my NEXUS card, in both directions.
I know I am able to travel to Canada and drive back to U.S. with only my valid NEXUS card. I always carry my valid U.S. Passport also just in case. Why create unnecessary problems if it can be avoided to begin with. Arguing with someone who has the power to make your life miserable is not worth a million dollars to me.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 2:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
A US citizen can enter US at land crossings with just GE card. Done it a gazillion times in both NEXUS and non-NEXUS lanes.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by seawolf
A US citizen can enter US at land crossings with just GE card. Done it a gazillion times in both NEXUS and non-NEXUS lanes.
Can you enter Canada with just a GE card? (Not asking about the NEXUS line)
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
No.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No.
Yes you can. It's a WHTI compliant document. What you can't do is enter using the Nexus lane into Canada. You can use the Nexus lane with GE card when returning to the US.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshwex90
No.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes you can. It's a WHTI compliant document. What you can't do is enter using the Nexus lane into Canada. You can use the Nexus lane with GE card when returning to the US.
joshwex90 is asking if GE card can be used to enter Canada and 1KChinito's response is accurate. WHTI is a US program despite the name. GE card not recognized by CBSA.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by seawolf
joshwex90 is asking if GE card can be used to enter Canada and 1KChinito's response is accurate. WHTI is a US program despite the name. GE card not recognized by CBSA.
I know what is being asked. GE card is good for entering Canada. You however can not use the Nexus lane entering Canada with a GE card. Do you really think they would take a drivers license, but not a GE card?

WHTI is the name used for the agreements between several countries. It allows for IDS other than passports to be used at non-airport border crossings.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:49 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I know what is being asked. GE card is good for entering Canada. You however can not use the Nexus lane entering Canada with a GE card. Do you really think they would take a drivers license, but not a GE card?
Exactly so.

They accept passports, NEXUS cards, SENTRI cards, FAST (Free and Secure Trade) cards and enhanced driver's licences.

For more information:
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:11 am

If that is the case, why driving to Canada, officer asked for my passport? That was when I had my Global Entry and before I have NEXUS.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:14 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
They accept passports, NEXUS cards, SENTRI cards, FAST (Free and Secure Trade) cards and enhanced driver's licences.

For more information:
Those documents list the US entry requirements for Canadian citizens, not the Canadian entry requirements for US citizens.

CBSA's entry requirements for US citizens: "If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

Whether you're entering by air, land or water, we recommend you carry a valid passport for all travel abroad, including visits to Canada from the U.S. A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the CBSA as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air, land, or marine modes."

Note that they specifically call out NEXUS but not Global Entry or SENTRI here.

That said, a birth certificate + non-enhanced driver's license would get you into Canada and a Global Entry card would get you back into the US.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Those documents list the US entry requirements for Canadian citizens, not the Canadian entry requirements for US citizens.

CBSA's entry requirements for US citizens: "If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

Whether you're entering by air, land or water, we recommend you carry a valid passport for all travel abroad, including visits to Canada from the U.S. A passport may be required by your airline or alternative transportation authority, as it is the only universally-accepted identification document.

Citizens of the U.S. who are members of the NEXUS program may present their membership card to the CBSA as proof of identification and as a document that denotes citizenship, when arriving by air, land, or marine modes."

Note that they specifically call out NEXUS but not Global Entry or SENTRI here.

That said, a birth certificate + non-enhanced driver's license would get you into Canada and a Global Entry card would get you back into the US.
Indeed. A US birth certificate + regular US driving license will also get me back into the US via land crossings.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The Global Entry card has one's citizenship indicated!

I understand that it is NOT accepted by Mexico (at present at least).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.