Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus

Has anyone completed this yet? How long did it take?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:49 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
AFAIK UK peeps can't join Global Entry.

"Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program."
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:49 am
Ambassador

I was under the impression that UK nationals aren't eligible.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:44 am
Suspended

Why Dutch but not British? Aren't we have special relationship with US?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
Originally Posted by chongcao
I think the dutch have some reciprocal arrangement.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:01 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Yes it is horrid that they won't allow to apply. I think Canada has a scheme which allows them to use the automatic border crossing. So much for the 'Special Relationship'.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
The GOES web site is very vague, but eventually I found:

Residents of the United Kingdom applying for Global Entry must use a promotional code and police certificate number during the application process with GOES (Global On-line Enrollment System). Promotional codes were randomly issued to a select number of persons and unfortunately; if you are not in possession of a promotional code, you will not qualify for the Global Entry program.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by peterrabbit
AFAIK UK peeps can't join Global Entry.

"Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program."
Not quite. There were a few hundred 'pilot scheme' codes issued to the UK. The number was very limited and not available to all applicants.

This was test scheme: unless you were invited into it - with a unique code - the rule you state above does hold true (for now). The good news is that if the test goes well, then maybe things will open up.

The very limited number of codes were distributed to the most frequent UK-US flyers by the powers that be - including via GGL. These were distributed based on previous flying/INS patterns and were offered, not requestable.
(Just to be clear, at present you have to be asked, you cannot ask to join.)

In terms of the OP question: Once you have registered, got your police cerficate (aloow 4 weeks), paid the US$100 it can all go v quiet for several weeks. Once the background checks are complete (you will need to list every country you have visited and when), you will then be told you have reached the stage where you need to attend an interview with INS at a US airport where they have a CBP office. You can book this online. This, if all goes well and is successful, will see you registered. All in all allow aorund 2-3 months assuming you visit the US a lot to enable you to complete the last bit.

Overall, I have to say its a travel changing experience. Plane door to cab in 5-10 mins is very possible - even at JFK.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DFB_london
you will need to list every country you have visited and when
Ever? That's gonna be one hell of a long list for a lot of FTers
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Ever? That's gonna be one hell of a long list for a lot of FTers
In the online form I filled out before I found that I was not eligible, I had to list all the countries that I had visited in the last 5 years (Tripit is a great asset!).
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by DFB_london
Not quite. There were a few hundred 'pilot scheme' codes issued to the UK. The number was very limited and not available to all applicants.

This was test scheme: unless you were invited into it - with a unique code - the rule you state above does hold true (for now). The good news is that if the test goes well, then maybe things will open up.

The very limited number of codes were distributed to the most frequent UK-US flyers by the powers that be - including via GGL. These were distributed based on previous flying/INS patterns and were offered, not requestable.
(Just to be clear, at present you have to be asked, you cannot ask to join.)

In terms of the OP question: Once you have registered, got your police cerficate (aloow 4 weeks), paid the US$100 it can all go v quiet for several weeks. Once the background checks are complete (you will need to list every country you have visited and when), you will then be told you have reached the stage where you need to attend an interview with INS at a US airport where they have a CBP office. You can book this online. This, if all goes well and is successful, will see you registered. All in all allow aorund 2-3 months assuming you visit the US a lot to enable you to complete the last bit.

Overall, I have to say its a travel changing experience. Plane door to cab in 5-10 mins is very possible - even at JFK.
Thanks for the reply, I have been invited by BA and given a code so have just applied today having received my police certificate. Will look forward to the next stages. I am in the US most months so should not be an issue.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
The Dutch were one of the first to recognize the US as an independent country - so it makes perfect sense to me.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Glad something is happening, having just been Security Cleared one would hope the Police Certificate would be a formality. Of course, if BA is issuing the certs number then I won't get one as most of my historic transatlantic travel is on UA!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Customer 02/01/2012 07:20 PM
When will British citizens be able to enrol onto the Global Entry program? I note that it is currently open to those with a promotional code - presumably as a trial scheme. Can you give me any indication when it likely to be more widely available?

Response 02/14/2012 08:35 AM
Currently we are not aware of the roll out date when this will be available for other UK nationals to use the Global Entry Program. Please continue to check our web site for updates on this program.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
GE would definitely help UK residents move through immigration & customs quicker.

Now is IRIS still available for US citizens? Americans often have to wait an hour or longer to get through UK passport control as well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.