Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by dubbin
Re the interview, are the stations landside or airside in the immigration area? i.s. should one schedule the interview to coincide with an existing arrival into the US?
AFAIK, all GE officers (landside or airside) are after passport control/customs, so I'd have it coincide with a US arrival.

The one in ATL's F terminal is easy to get to - just on the right after leaving the Customs area.

Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
There are also some downtown Enrollment Centers.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Now then, I recall back in 1989 ( I think) when TWA and Pan Am were both alive (just) and kicking back in T3. They experimented with this in T3 and HI and I flew with TWA to JFK just the same as BA 001 does. I think that it is perfectly possible. It might mean dismantling a few of those stupid shops where no one buys anything (the Japanese apart) but I have no doubt in my mind that it could be done.
istr that with TWA, it was only immigration that was performed in terminal 3; on arrival into JFK when I did it, it arrived into an international area just that passengers were cleared past the immigration desks

Customs still needed to be done as normal rather than , as per BA 1 , actually arriving as a domestic flight
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
Thumbs down BA have run out of codes !

Just phoned up the Gold Line and was told that BA had 'temporarily' run out of codes and likely to be a week or so before they have any more. I have joined the wait list
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by wenzlydale
Just phoned up the Gold Line and was told that BA had 'temporarily' run out of codes and likely to be a week or so before they have any more. I have joined the wait list
Just email Larry (see up thread). If you have the same response time as me you'll have one later the same day.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Now then, I recall back in 1989 ( I think) when TWA and Pan Am were both alive (just) and kicking back in T3. They experimented with this in T3 and HI and I flew with TWA to JFK just the same as BA 001 does. I think that it is perfectly possible. It might mean dismantling a few of those stupid shops where no one buys anything (the Japanese apart) but I have no doubt in my mind that it could be done.
US pre-clearance was trialed in 1990 at what was then BA's Terminal 4 - I have an old passport with a US entry stamp in it from "London". I believe the trial lasted about a year but was discontinued. Some have cynically suggested this is because BAA would have lost too much retail space. Surely not......
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
That may be the case but how many more flights with greater passenger loads now leave London for JFK not to mind NYC or the US generally. I'd foresee a nightmare differentiating which flights and/or terminals they would fly from in London and arrive into NY. Even if it was provided as an enhancement fr certain flights, how often would it occur that a significant number of PAX fail to get from check in to the screening desk in time and have to have luggage offloaded. DUB is a much smaller proposition than across the ?4 LHR terminals which would have NY bound flights (if I have my numbers correct).

USCBP would not be in a position to discriminate, I imagine, all airlines would have to be offered the facility on an equivalent basis. LHR woud not be convenient for that even without the shoe. Likewise with the arrival terminals; how many would need to be reconfigured to cope with domestic arrivals separation for such large numbers of PAX.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Marcusm
That may be the case but how many more flights with greater passenger loads now leave London for JFK not to mind NYC or the US generally. I'd foresee a nightmare differentiating which flights and/or terminals they would fly from in London and arrive into NY. Even if it was provided as an enhancement fr certain flights, how often would it occur that a significant number of PAX fail to get from check in to the screening desk in time and have to have luggage offloaded. DUB is a much smaller proposition than across the ?4 LHR terminals which would have NY bound flights (if I have my numbers correct).

USCBP would not be in a position to discriminate, I imagine, all airlines would have to be offered the facility on an equivalent basis. LHR woud not be convenient for that even without the shoe. Likewise with the arrival terminals; how many would need to be reconfigured to cope with domestic arrivals separation for such large numbers of PAX.
A passenger's luggage does not reach the airline until CBP has processed the passenger, so the airline will not have to offload the bags of tardy passengers.

All U.S. airport gates can accommodate domestic arrivals. Domestic baggage claim could become more congested, but gate space would not be a constraint on preclearance flights.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Ivory (no more AF), Accor Plat, VS Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 14940674
A passenger's luggage does not reach the airline until CBP has processed the passenger, so the airline will not have to offload the bags of tardy passengers.

All U.S. airport gates can accommodate domestic arrivals. Domestic baggage claim could become more congested, but gate space would not be a constraint on preclearance flights.
The luggage in Dublin and Shannon is already in the airline's control when the pax is shown a photo of it. Do you mean no baggage is loaded onto the aircraft until the final passenger has been screened onto the airplane. Iirc BA1 passengers have a suboptimal routing through terminal 7 in JFK prior to being released. Would it be possible to route all LHR originating passengers that way? Given the higher level of non VWP pax through LHR, connecting times might need to increase for those flights to take account of the additional processes.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rwoman
AFAIK, all GE officers (landside or airside) are after passport control/customs, so I'd have it coincide with a US arrival.

The one in ATL's F terminal is easy to get to - just on the right after leaving the Customs area.
The CBP interviews can be either landside, airside or downtown (New York and Washington). Generally they are indeed near the customs or baggage area, but when I had mine done in LAX it was landside. It's actually easier to get it down in Canada if you have the opportunity, they can't be done in Dublin or Shannon (and if Shannon is your main route then GE isn't worth having, though they do have the machines there).
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Marcusm
The luggage in Dublin and Shannon is already in the airline's control when the pax is shown a photo of it. Do you mean no baggage is loaded onto the aircraft until the final passenger has been screened onto the airplane. Iirc BA1 passengers have a suboptimal routing through terminal 7 in JFK prior to being released. Would it be possible to route all LHR originating passengers that way? Given the higher level of non VWP pax through LHR, connecting times might need to increase for those flights to take account of the additional processes.
The bag is in the airline's control, but it is held in the baggage system until it is released for loading by the CBP officer processing its owner.

As I said before, the area in which U.S. airports could struggle to cope would be domestic baggage claim space. Gate space should not be a problem.

Your point about lengthened connection times is certainly valid. That drawback must be balanced with the benefit of more convenient connections in the U.S. to determine whether preclearance at LHR is appropriate.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Question for the Brit GE folks - did you actually receive a GE card? I have not received yet (approved a few weeks back), and i do note the approval letter did seem to suggest i would not receive a GE card. Note sure i will ever need it, just curious if i should have one or not.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The CBP interviews can be either landside, airside or downtown (New York and Washington). Generally they are indeed near the customs or baggage area, but when I had mine done in LAX it was landside. It's actually easier to get it down in Canada if you have the opportunity, they can't be done in Dublin or Shannon (and if Shannon is your main route then GE isn't worth having, though they do have the machines there).
I had my NEXUS interview in terminal E at YVR.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jcm9000
Question for the Brit GE folks - did you actually receive a GE card? I have not received yet (approved a few weeks back), and i do note the approval letter did seem to suggest i would not receive a GE card. Note sure i will ever need it, just curious if i should have one or not.
I was processed a while back, and yes I have a card. I think you will still get one eventually, since you need them in NEXUS lanes, amongst other things. But you don't need them for the machines, which may be the main benefit if going via Miami, they work off the passport scan. They wouldn't post my card, I had to collect it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I was processed a while back, and yes I have a card. I think you will still get one eventually, since you need them in NEXUS lanes, amongst other things. But you don't need them for the machines, which may be the main benefit if going via Miami, they work off the passport scan. They wouldn't post my card, I had to collect it.
Thanks CWS! I'll see if I can go and pick one up. Do we need one for nexus anymore - I understand Ge machines are everywhere nexus is now - well at least at airports - (and you cant use GE in a nexus machine to get INTO Canada?). I'd remind myself on the cbp site, but all the cbp websites seem to be offline for some reason right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.