Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Most of the problems I've read about in the AA forum (I don't fly DL or UA) with Pre failures have to do with names not matching properly with Global Entry. While I have GE, I don't use that in my profile, and I think that is what has made it work properly for me.
As far as I know, that has nothing to do with the randomness that's supposed to be part of that program. The randomness is part of the "properly working program". You are probably talking about the first part, getting the code into the barcode. It's the 2nd part that is random.

Q. Will participants know in advance that they have been cleared for expedited screening?
A. No. If the agency determines a passenger is eligible for expedited screening through TSA Pre✓™, information will be embedded in the barcode of the passenger’s boarding pass. TSA will read the barcode at designated checkpoints and the passenger may be referred to an expedited screening lane.

TSA will always incorporate random and unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no individual will be guaranteed expedited screening.
http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/faqs.shtm

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 4, 2012 at 8:42 pm
Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
As far as I know, that has nothing to do with the randomness that's supposed to be part of that program. The randomness is part of the "properly working program". You are probably talking about the first part, getting the code into the barcode. It's the 2nd part that is random.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/faqs.shtm

-David
I understand the "random" factor, but my experience has been excellent. Seems most people have had good luck as well once they got their name match issues resolved as well.

My point is that given the success rate I have had with PreCheck and the significant benefits it has over Clear, I don't see any value in paying for Clear - Even if I have to wait in the regular elite line a couple of times a year when the "randomness" kicks in.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
My point is that given the success rate I have had with PreCheck and the significant benefits it has over Clear, I don't see any value in paying for Clear -
I don't think anybody was holding a gun to your head, trying to convince you that you should pay for something you don't see value in.

-David
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
A few Clear Questions

Can I apply in person @ SFO & Get the Card the same day?

How much does it cost? I cant find it anywhere on their website
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ilovesprint
A few Clear Questions

Can I apply in person @ SFO & Get the Card the same day?
http://clearme.com/faqs#4

How long does it take to receive my card?
After you go to a CLEAR enrollment center and complete enrollment, you should receive your CLEARcard within 7 - 10 business days.
Originally Posted by ilovesprint
How much does it cost? I cant find it anywhere on their website
http://clearme.com/faqs#4

How much does it cost to become a CLEARmember?
Annual unlimited membership is $179. Add a household family member over 18 for $50. Corporate rates are available.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Is Clear dead now that there's TSA Pre?

With Pre, Global Entry, and Nexus, is Clear dead?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
They reactivated my card for free until sometime next year, but it's only an option at a handful of airports, and doesn't seem to be growing. I used it at DEN this summer but only for the novelty...the premier line was non-existent too. Pre-check is far, far superior.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Jetlink
Not for me, it isn't.

But then, I fly UA and AA out of SFO, where Clear saves me lots of time, and PreCheck is nowhere to be found.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving this Thread to the TS/S Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jetlink
Not yet, but it is headed there and will end up eliminated, much as I hope TSA PreCheck gets eliminated too.

If anyone wants a real-world example of how government spending can crowd out private investment, here's an example.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 9:03 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation Crack, Cocaine, Heroin???

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I hope TSA PreCheck gets eliminated too.
Which one have you been smoking*???

*Cause ONLY someone who is high on one the these drugs could make a statement the that!!!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Which one have you been smoking*???

*Cause ONLY someone who is high on one the these drugs could make a statement the that!!!
None of the above.

I think PreCheck LLL-type screening should be the default screening for all passengers flying from US airports and should not be a carrot, stick or gamble in the hands of a DHS/TSA that makes subjects of citizens.

As things are set, what the TSA can grant to US subjects, it can also strip away from them. And the PreCheck nonsense is but a TSA divide and conquer scheme to try to quiet down the frequent flyers and some other critics while maintaining or increasing power over the same.

PreCheck LLL-type physical screening good for one ought to be good for all (again) by getting rid of the governmental PreCheck and SecureFlight nonsense and treating all free persons equally.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:31 am

MCO has Clear, and is now getting PreCheck for all security lines. I think that airport will show whether Clear has a future. If the regular MCO travelers drop Clear in favor of PreCheck, then the company will probably have a hard time expanding into any airport with PreCheck.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 2:01 pm

Is Clear free 90 Day Membership Trial subject to $30 cancellation fee?

I received a 90 Day free Clear membership trial but I was wondering if I cancel before the end of the trial period. Am I still subject to the $30 cancellation fee as per the link below or the fee is only imposed if you cancel after the end of the trial once your credit card is charged for the annual fee?

http://my.clearme.com/Content.aspx?c...2fRefundPolicy

Would appreciate to hear from people who have cancelled during the trial membership whether or not the $30 fee is applicable.

TIA
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
As things are set, what the TSA can grant to US subjects, it can also strip away from them. And the PreCheck nonsense is but a TSA divide and conquer scheme to try to quiet down the frequent flyers and some other critics while maintaining or increasing power over the same.
This is a frequent argument, but it doesn't really calm down the frequent fliers. I fly 1-2 times a month out of an airport that doesn't have PreCheck. So while it's nice on the return trip from DFW, I still raise all sorts of hell about how I'm treated at home (and sometimes DFW). Heck, read the stories here, some of which come from frequent fliers. It doesn't calm everyone down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.