Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
I used CLEAR free for six months via a Visa Signature promo in 2014 while I was working in Houston often. As someone who flew through IAH, it really wasn't that useful. Initially, earlier in that year I was flying Terminal A on US Airways, and there were a handful of occasions on thursday afternoons where the PreCheck line itself could be a 15-20 minute wait (I think about three times over the course of a year, only one of which occurred after I got Pre). The one time where I had CLEAR and the Precheck line was long it was nice since I got to cut the precheck queue and get to the scanner/WTMD 15 minutes quicker - but otherwise, generally the Precheck line is less than a 5 minute wait (often less than a minute), and I only got to use it one way (returning home from Houston). Once I switched to United it was even more worthless as the line there for Pre never got longer than five minutes.

I went to MCO once while having Clear and they let me cut the Precheck line. It was handy there since a business conference had just let out and most of the travelers had PRE from GE or FF status, and the regular line was long because of families...

That being said, I found it useful twice within a year.

If your home airport and/or destination airport have CLEAR and it looks handy, and you find yourself having a long wait for Pre (or ineligible for Pre for whatever reason), you can weigh whether it's worth $10/month. My experience: Not for me.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
CLEAR is coming to DCA and IAD. I figured one of the DL hubs would be next.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:49 am

Used it for the first time yesterday in Denver. Happened to have trip scheduled there so got my free Clear (via Delta) done when they announced it was open a couple weeks ago and finished the registration on my arrival to Denver. Left yesterday and what took the longest time was the actual scanner belt for the carry on's. Would love to see this at more locations. Right now the airports closest to me that have is SFO and SJC, which seldom use, don't ever expect it at SMF. But hope to see it at more airports soon. I think SEA is on the "soon" list.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:45 am
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Thanks. In DEN (my home airport), the PreCheck line is often quite long, while Clear is almost always available. Much better for me. Same with my visits to other locations (Orlando this past week, for example). With more people being offered PreCheck, this seems a smart move.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I figured one of the DL hubs would be next.
And DTW announced today. (As "coming soon".)
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I just got a notification that Clear is now at DCA and IAD. Since I have 11 months left on my old Clear membership (from when Clear went belly-up a few years back), I think I'll accept their offer to reactivate my membership and see whether it's worth it. When I used Clear before, there was no PreCheck and so Clear was, at least at times, quite helpful. But I rarely encounter a long PreCheck line, so we'll see.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Clear just saved me 30 minutes as I bypassed the long security line to enter AT&T Park. I saw more than a few people signing up at the nearby table. A huge perk that I am loathe to give up.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
SEA location now open
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if you've never stepped inside a Delta plane, sign-up for a Delta SkyMiles account, and you will get 1-year CLEAR membership for $99/yr.

http://delta.clearme.com

Edited to add: DEN on Sunday 4:45pm. There were maybe 5-6 people in the Pre-Check line, but I still used the CLEAR line. I think I saved 15 seconds. Of course, I chose the line with the slowest carry-on screeners.

Last edited by pseudoswede; Aug 1, 2016 at 9:50 am
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Even if you've never stepped inside a Delta plane, sign-up for a Delta SkyMiles account, and you will get 1-year CLEAR membership for $99/yr.

http://delta.clearme.com

Edited to add: DEN on Sunday 4:45pm. There were maybe 5-6 people in the Pre-Check line, but I still used the CLEAR line. I think I saved 15 seconds. Of course, I chose the line with the slowest carry-on screeners.
Thank you for the link. I used the email link for CLEAR members and received an email back within 10 minutes informing me that my renewal has been changed to $99/year (General Member).
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DEN at 6:15am this morning.

If you are familiar with the South Checkpoint, the TSA line almost double-backed upon itself, even with three ID checkers. The CLEAR lane was a breeze. Definitely saved at least 10 minutes.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:57 am

Complete insanity. Sign up for GE or NEXUS. If you are eligible.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:35 pm
Suspended

To me, Clear is fairly expensive but it does get you to the head of the regular line.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
When CLEAR reopened here in San Antonio they had limited hours and were not open on weekends though have since expanded their hours and are now open on at least Sunday. During their downtime and then limited operating hours period we enrolled in GE and now don't see the advantage.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:51 am

Wow

Using Clear and TSA Precheck, the wife and I made from the curb, checked two bags, through security and down to the trains in 6 minutes, yesterday, at Denver. TSA Precheck line had 15-20 ppl in it. Regular security lines were 3/4 full. Can't recommend Clear enough but, ideally, you'd utilize it along with Precheck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.