Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:54 am

I fly out of MCO every week and I have seen the traffic in the PreCheck lanes overtake the Clear lanes. Clear will be dead for the third time any minute now.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
I use CLEAR at SFO constantly, in all three terminals. It's the best thing that's happened to my flying career since I earned status.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Clear

Any ideas of new airports that are going to have Clear lanes? Trying to decide if it's worth continuing my membership. With TSAPre at more and more places, is Clear really going to be necessary?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Im wrestling with this one too.

I do fly MCO about 4x a year, and thats enough for me to keep it, since that airport can get infested with mice lice..

Current list: SFO MCO DFW DEN HPN? ((three letter acronym for expletive deleted - CEO must live nearby.... )
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:00 pm

So I got an offer that was 4 months free and $99 for another year at MCO. They said they would also be honoring my 138 days of remaining membership before shut down taking me into July-Aug. Now I get an e-mail saying my billing date is March 7??

I called in and I thought I heard the somewhat hard to understand gent say that my 138 days started when they opened at MCO? That would be in 2010 and doesn't do me a lotta good since I rejoined in Nov. 2012. I think I'm reading a similar statement in Clearme FAQ's.

If true that would be a bit of a scam. Counting my 138 days from the time of opening at MCO (when I wasn't a member) meant there were no days left for me at my rejoining in Nov. 2012 and for Clearme to imply I would get credit for those days = scam. Beware if this impacts your decision to enroll.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Clear (almost) saved me big time at SFO last week. My car had a dead battery (I guess that falls within the "flat tire" excuse) so I lost my margin of error and ended up further delayed by horrible traffic. Thanks to Clear I bypassed the horrid T-3 "elite" line and made it to the gate about 10m before boarding.

Naturally, the flight ended up being delayed 3 hours due to mechanical issues, but Clear did it's job.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:09 am

Question Is CLEAR worth $179 a year?

Is anyone on the forum a Clear member? Assuming I am flying out of airports in their coverage area on a regular basis (say monthly), will my $179 investment make getting through the TSA screening process any quicker or easier?

Thanks
Al
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec., SPG Gold, AmEx Plat
I use it at MCO regularly, and would pay nearly any price to avoid the standard security lines there. Note that unlike Pre-check, you are still required to remove your shoes, etc. It is effectively a go-to-the-head-of-the-line pass.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Monthly? Like 12 times a year? I would not consider it worth it for that amount of use. Two or three times a week maybe, but for the money it costs, I would rather wait in a line for those times.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
CLEAR is only at MCO, HPN, SFO, DFW and DEN - of these, the only ones that don't have PreCheck are HPN and SFO at the International A gates (G side you can access from Terminal 3) and the Terminal 1-B pier (AS, US, WN). Otherwise, you can access those areas via PreCheck.

I'd much rather pay the $100 for Global Entry for five years and get expedited access to many more airports, not have to deal with as much of the TSA dog and pony show and also have GE for re-entering the US.

Granted, PreCheck isn't 100% guarenteed, but most people have reported issues to be few and far between using Global Entry for PreCheck purposes.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I have Global Entry and therefore I am eligible for PreCheck. I am also a Clear member. For me, Clear works because I connect through SFO a lot, especially on TPACs. When you are in the middle of the bank of Asian flights arriving into SFO in the morning, the security lines can get pretty long, even at the PreCheck line. There is never a line at the Clear lane. I go through the Clear lane and I am usually airside in 5 minutes or less. I joined the original Clear and had a multi-year membership and it was cheaper then, definitely not $179 per year. I think it all depends on which airports you fly out of and how busy it gets at the time you fly. At SFO where the line to get to the ID checker can be 30-40 deep, Clear is definitely worth it.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
SFO is my home airport. And I also transit DEN and DFW quite a bit, so CLEAR has been invaluable. At SFO, I am airside in less than 3 minutes with CLEAR. PreCheck is not guaranteed, so I like CLEAR.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Visa Signature has a Clear promotion and I have noticed that Clear pax get through security faster than elites or precheck. I pulled the trigger.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:31 pm

I am not personally interested in Clear because of how it is setup at DFW for Terminal E, but I have noticed that they regularly run deals online. Currently you can do a 4-month membership for $18 through Livingsocial.

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/7...ed-through-dfw

You can search Livingsocial for your specific home city, but I doubt it matters which one you buy.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 6:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Clear - worthwhile use of $179?

Is CLEAR even viable? After bankruptcy (that's a sign), I haven't seen new airports being added. That's a troubling sign. Makes you wonder if the existing airports will even renew their contracts especially with PreCheck expanding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.