Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:11 am

Perhaps their rules caught up with reality.

Originally, CLEAR was supposed to be a trusted traveler program. It didn't turn out that way.

Since all you are doing now is paying to go to the front of the line, there is no reason to limit it to citizens/LPRs.

As far as I know (someone correct me if I am wrong), approval for CLEAR is automatic and no one gets turned down. So you could have just spent time in prison for smuggling and armed robbery and you could successfully sign up for CLEAR on the day of your release.

Originally Posted by SDQBound
I am also searching for this but cannot find this specific rule. In the past I've seen it but now it's nowhere to be found.

All I can see in the requirements is that a US driving license is required and many non-citizens/LPR are eligible for driving licenses (students, diplomats, etc).
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Perhaps their rules caught up with reality.

Originally, CLEAR was supposed to be a trusted traveler program. It didn't turn out that way.

Since all you are doing now is paying to go to the front of the line, there is no reason to limit it to citizens/LPRs.

As far as I know (someone correct me if I am wrong), approval for CLEAR is automatic and no one gets turned down. So you could have just spent time in prison for smuggling and armed robbery and you could successfully sign up for CLEAR on the day of your release.
It is automated, though a fairly decent background check is taken. Originally the only way to not get approved was to be on some federal list.

Lest I checked at one point they had US Citizen in the restrictions but yeah who knows.

You do at least need to have some residence in the states though as it requires you to have a US address for enrollment
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
SLC online today

Clear has started operations in terminal two at Salt Lake City International.

If they remain open in the evening when TSA closes the Precheck line, I'm in.

Most of the time when I catch a late evening flight, the Precheck line is closed.

Jim
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Huge pre-check line @sfo T-3 earlier this week (par for course) but I waltzed by everyone with Clear. Easily pays for itself in time saved.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Anyone know about JFK T4 lanes? Flying out of there next week
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by redstapler11
Anyone know about JFK T4 lanes? Flying out of there next week
Nada. Go to T2 and take the jitney.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
At ATL this morning, Clear lanes were most certainly not worth anything. Clear rep directing the non-moving line was estimating 30 minutes to get through. I walked over to non-Clear Precheck and got to the other side in about 20.

And they have got to do something about those automated bins. Screening itself takes at least 2x as long now, which can't be helping the long lines.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Updated wiki with latest coming soon email:
- Dallas Love
- "full coverage at Detroit Metro Airport"
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:42 pm

Can you explain how this physically came about.

In my experience, the CLEAR rep walks you past the TSA ID checker to the front of the line. Was this not happening?

Originally Posted by gooselee
At ATL this morning, Clear lanes were most certainly not worth anything. Clear rep directing the non-moving line was estimating 30 minutes to get through. I walked over to non-Clear Precheck and got to the other side in about 20.

And they have got to do something about those automated bins. Screening itself takes at least 2x as long now, which can't be helping the long lines.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL EK QR TK
Just saw this video today that clear.me tweeted out to their followers, of a customer who filmed the process.

https://youtu.be/vDG-hw568Ho
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA MP / *A Silver
Lightbulb CLEAR Retention Offer: $99 + $50 = $149 for 2-member family!

EDIT: What I wrote below is partially wrong but I cannot edit the title so I'm just going to clarify here: It turns out my wife and I were actually put on two separate accounts: I was $179 and she was able to create one at $50. So our total is $229. This reduction to $99 is for me and for me alone; so our total is $149. Still, it's a nice savings: 45%.

Hey everyone, I don't post often, but wanted to share the following awesome discovery:

My wife and I just took advantage of CLEAR's 30-day free trial. While we fly a decent amount (always *A Silver, once *A Gold), $179/year for the two of us wasn't really worth it (esp since, on a recent trip, neither B6 nor VX out of JFK had CLEAR), even though it would admittedly be a life saver out of our home airport SFO.

So I logged in just now (beautiful UX/UI, btw!) to cancel our membership before we were hit with the $179/renewal on the 30th. I was then prompted with a simple questionnaire asking why we were cancelling.

I clicked "TOO EXPENSIVE."

And I was immediately presented with this (see attached).

$99/year for the two of us?! Now we're talking. SOLD!
Attached Images  

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2017 at 4:16 pm Reason: Edit title
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Can someone with both give a view on why Clear would be worth it? Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by N1120A
Can someone with both give a view on why Clear would be worth it? Thanks.
Someone with "both" what? CLEAR and Precheck?

If you already have Precheck, whether CLEAR will provide any additional benefit depends whether the Precheck lines at your frequent airports get backed up much. If so, having CLEAR lets you cut to the front of those lines. Whether that's sufficient incentive to pay for it (and note the discounted pricing available to Delta Sky Miles members, even w/o status, as mentioned in the wiki) of course depends on personal circumstances.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
+1 At some airports the pre-check line is often longer than the regular line. Clear means you waltz to the conveyer belt. Also don't forget Clear works at some sports arenas. Always saves me at least 20m getting into the ballpark. ^

Now I suppose if I consider the real cost ($5 x 20x per year) I might reconsider but there is a value to knowing that I never have to wait at security at my home airport.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Can you explain how this physically came about.

In my experience, the CLEAR rep walks you past the TSA ID checker to the front of the line. Was this not happening?
That was happening, but the CLEAR line that day snaked up and down and across the hallway, then continued to snake into the ticketing area. Since the automated bin system was causing a backup during actual screening, they could only process a couple people through the CLEAR kiosks in the minute or so I was in the area...there physically was not room to process more people because the screening area was jammed and even going to the front of the Pre line was not possible. Everything sat at a standstill.

If you're asking how a non-CLEAR Pre line took less time...its because I walked across the Atrium to the other Pre entrance (which has no CLEAR option at all), which was simply less busy overall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.