Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

5 business days as of 2020-04-29
30 business days as of 2020-02-17
39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11

Print Wikipost

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG
Reason for variation in wait times

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a correlation between the number of countries you've visited, as well as if you've visited specific countries and the wait time for interview. I've been waiting 71 days, but I've also visited 20+ countries and lived in three. There is probably a process for checking with the officials in those countries before clearing an applicant.

I'd also expect anything at all on your record to impact- like, for example, simply being stopped for questioning at the border, even if nothing came of it. Each event probably has to be examined by the agent assigned your file.

All theory, but It would make me glad frankly that they're thorough... makes the Nexus lane at the airport that much quicker..
Old May 16, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Airline
Still Waiting

Family of 4 applied

Applied(initial): March 20, 2017
Conditional Approval: One of the child approved 5/6/17 Everyone else is pending
Interview: TBD
Approved: TBD
Card arrived: TBD

I am really hoping the process is faster than this... Both of us are foreign born later became Americans, and kids are born in US. The one has been approved for interview is an infant child with no history of foreign travelling other than drive across Canadian border.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Applied(initial): 06-Mar-2017
Conditional Approval: 19-Apr-2017
Interview: 06-May-2017 (YYZ)
Approved: 06-May-2017
Card arrived: 16-May-2017

Not too bad.

My original appointment was for late July, but I checked frequently-ish and on May 4 was able to pick up a last-minute cancellation on May 6 at YYZ.

Last edited by 18sas; May 18, 2017 at 10:08 pm
Old May 17, 2017, 1:50 pm
jmz

Originally Posted by JonSimms
Glad to see my application may still be intact.. Its now been 71 days. At the time, the site said the estimated wait would be 47 days... Have stood in a lot of long security lines in these 71 days so far - hoping the wait is soon over..

Applied(initial): March 6, 2017
Conditional Approval: TBD
Interview: TBD
Approved: TBD
It goes by business days. So your estimated wait of 47 days isn't too far off the mark so far.

Also, I doubt frequent travel has anything to do with it. I applied on February 23 and I'm still waiting, but I haven't left the country since late last year.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by JonSimms
I wouldn't be surprised if there's a correlation between the number of countries you've visited, as well as if you've visited specific countries and the wait time for interview. I've been waiting 71 days, but I've also visited 20+ countries and lived in three. There is probably a process for checking with the officials in those countries before clearing an applicant.

I'd also expect anything at all on your record to impact- like, for example, simply being stopped for questioning at the border, even if nothing came of it. Each event probably has to be examined by the agent assigned your file.

All theory, but It would make me glad frankly that they're thorough... makes the Nexus lane at the airport that much quicker..
Hubby and I both applied on Feb 23rd, he got approved in mid March and had his interview yesterday. We have travelled to all the same places and I am still waiting. The officer who interviewed him was surprised that I had not heard yet, then said it can take a while. .
Old May 17, 2017, 9:15 pm

How long has it been taking people to get their credit card charged?? Mailed in an application on April 25th...
Old May 18, 2017, 8:23 am

Waited 79 business days so far. All members of my family have been conditionally approved except for me.

My application
Applied: Feb 28 2017
Conditional Approval: Still waiting
Interview:
Approved:
Card arrived:

Husband and 13 yr old son applied: March 5 2017
Conditional Approval: 4/19
Interview: Scheduled for 6/14 hoping I will be approved to interview by then
Approved:
Card arrived:

Adult daughter applied: March 12 2017
Conditional Approval: 4/25
Interview: Scheduled for late fall when she will be travelling near an interview facility
Approved:
Card arrived:

Adult son applied same day as I did and has already has his card. (Sorry, I don't have his exact dates)

The only reason I can think that mine is taking so long is that I have more names than they do. (I was adopted when I was 11 and I've been married twice). In fact, my husband has traveled many more places out of the country than I have.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:15 am

I applied for my and wife's app on Feb 27th simultaneously (US PR). She got Cond. App. on 10th April. I am still waiting (57 business days/80 calendar days).

She has been to 2 non-NAFTA countries in 5 years while I have been to 1.

I have visited Canada few times in 2014 while she has never stepped foot there, so is CBSA taking long to analyze my Canadian visits?

I have a hunch a batch of applications around Feb 20th-March 1st are inexplicably stuck somewhere (with nothing to do about applicant specifics).

GOES FAQ's still mention 4 to 6 weeks to process applications which I am well past.

I plan to start making calls and sending emails to CBP + CBSA starting May 24th when I complete 60 business days.

I will send an email here https://help.cbp.gov/app/ask

and then make calls to the helpline numbers:
800-842-7647 for CBSA & 855-USE-GOES for GOES
Old May 19, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
Originally Posted by yyzhamilton
Mailed in an application on April 25th...
Why didn't you apply online? You're going to have to set up on account anyway. Online apps were charged right away for me and my family. Longer processing time for mail I guess. You were expecting to save on the the exchange rate but now you have no clue as to where you app is. That is the trade off.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:17 pm

Was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience:

I applied online for my family to get Nexus cards: my wife, two children, and myself. I did this all around March 11th.

My wife and two children were approved (conditionally) a few weeks ago and I was able to set up interviews for tomorrow (May 20th). Mine is still sitting at "Pending Review."

Though they're all separate applications I applied for all at the same time and am sort of stunned that their applications were approved within an hour of each other (on a Sunday night, too) while mine is still sitting there. Is this common?

My wife and kids are American citizens while I'm a dual American/Canadian citizen (technically my kids are, too, but we hadn't received their Canadian citizenship certificates yet). I was wondering if that might have something to do with it. As far as I know I shouldn't have any blemish on my records in either country.

Thanks!
Old May 19, 2017, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Originally Posted by cdnchris
Was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience:

<snip>
Welcome to FlyerTalk @cdnchris!

I moved your question to the appropriate thread. There are more than a few examples listed here of different processing times for family members applying for NEXUS.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 22, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Welcome to FlyerTalk @cdnchris!

I moved your question to the appropriate thread. There are more than a few examples listed here of different processing times for family members applying for NEXUS.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Thank you! Missed this thread.

We went to the interview for my wife and two children over the weekend and it went fine, they were all approved. They looked up my application but could only see it was pending still and figured it just got caught in a backlog. It's over ten weeks so a little frustrating. We have a trip coming up end of June so it would be nice for all of us to have our cards by then.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: CX-Silver, HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
Datapoint

Applied(initial): March 15, 2017
Conditional Approval: April 30, 2017
Interview: May 21, 2017
Approved: May 21, 2017

So interestingly enough, I was prepared to go to Fort Erie like everyone else does so as not to have to wait forever for a slot at YYZ. However, when I looked at the interview availability on May 7th, I saw a Sunday (Sunday??) whole day open at YYZ T1 - rest of the month was booked full.

Not sure if they opened a day up adhoc or what...

Also per other OP comments, I've lived in two countries and visited 9 in the past 5 years so don't think it impacts processing time.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by oakland
I will send an email here https://help.cbp.gov/app/ask

and then make calls to the helpline numbers:
800-842-7647 for CBSA & 855-USE-GOES for GOES
So I just finished contacting CBP + CBSA through the 3 modes I listed. Just listing it here for anyone else experiencing long delays:

1) Email to CBP: Cookie cutter reply. Only slightly useful detail was that NEXUS/SENTRI official processing timeline is now 3-5 months.

2) Phone call to CBSA: Took my details to retrieve my case and then told me "You should hear back anytime now". "You see the real-time status of your case so you see the same status as we do." Also added, Background Check takes 12-15 weeks.

3) Phone call to GOES: 1+ hr waiting time. Told me CBSA is experiencing delays in completing BC as their systems were updated few weeks back. After I asked him why spouse's application processed much earlier, he said, it was just luck and CBP does not have a central office that tracks all applications and applications are distributed to different offices, which might explain the different speeds. He also asked me to wait upto 5 months. "We raise a ticket to inquire on a case only after it has crossed 5 months". He also told me, he would send me an email to my address that I can reply to for future inquiry in case my wait time crosses 5 months. I received the email an hour later.

Last edited by oakland; May 24, 2017 at 10:41 am
Old May 27, 2017, 8:41 am

My wife, daughter, and I all have NEXUS already, so I applied on April 23 for our son, who isn't even 1 year old yet. I didn't think to apply sooner, because when the rest of the family applied in 2015, approval only took 3-4 weeks, and I didn't realize that the applications are so backlogged now.

Our NEXUS membership is useless until the newest member of our family can get it too. Not sure why it takes so long, since the baby obviously has no criminal record. There should be an expedited procedure to add a baby to a family who already has NEXUS. Hoping that it will be conditionally approved soon so we can get an interview scheduled, since we are taking a few trips later this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.