Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
CBSA published NEXUS processing times to get to conditional approval can be found here. The most recently published processing time is below, along with a short history of recent official published times. A longer history of published wait times is here, via the Internet Archive Wayback machine. Please post your personal experiences below in the thread. All posts are appreciated. Thank you/Merci!

5 business days as of 2020-04-29
30 business days as of 2020-02-17
39 business days as of 2019-10-07
40 business days as of 2019-08-28
25 business days as of 2019-04-11

Print Wikipost

NEXUS First Time Applications Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by ahecht
I have been waiting for six weeks for conditional approval, and given how long some of you have been waiting, it doesn't look like I should expect to get it anytime soon. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I will be able to travel to any of the NEXUS centers after Labor Day this year due to other planned travel, so I'm worried that I might not be able to schedule an appointment within the 120 day window once I do get conditional approval.

Once approved, is there any way to pay another $50 to convert the application to Global Entry and do an interview locally, or would I have to let my Nexus application expire and start over with the full $100 fee?
You may be able to keep extending your appointment to a later date as long as you a confirmed appointment. I do not have personal experience. Most of us want just the opposite.

NEXUS is a complete separate program from Global Entry. You have to pay $100 application fee for Global Entry. It is not wise to apply for NEXUS knowing one is unable to travel to a NEXUS interview center.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
NEXUS is a complete separate program from Global Entry. You have to pay $100 application fee for Global Entry. It is not wise to apply for NEXUS knowing one is unable to travel to a NEXUS interview center.
When I applied, the CBP website said 6 weeks, and people were reporting much less than that here (on the order of 3-4 weeks). Now it looks like 10+ weeks is normal, which is quite a different situation.

The real problem is that it looks like, even if I wanted to pay the $100, there is no way to apply for Global Entry in GOES while I have a NEXUS application listed there.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ahecht
When I applied, the CBP website said 6 weeks, and people were reporting much less than that here (on the order of 3-4 weeks). Now it looks like 10+ weeks is normal, which is quite a different situation.

The real problem is that it looks like, even if I wanted to pay the $100, there is no way to apply for Global Entry in GOES while I have a NEXUS application listed there.
You can make a new account, though it will probably only slow down your NEXUS application.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:05 pm

Update: Canadian - Applied via GOES Site on 5/8 still "Pending Review"...
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zerius
Update: Canadian - Applied via GOES Site on 5/8 still "Pending Review"...
Wow. That's 2.5 months. CBSA went on vacation. I'm guessing CBSA is the holdup because spouse and kids were already GE members when their applied 3rd week of May.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:15 am

Hiatus?

Skimming this thread, someone applied in April and was approved May 13, and someone's wife applied May 18 and was approved a week later. That is it, no approvals in the last 2 months regardless of application date?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by TonyLuke
Skimming this thread, someone applied in April and was approved May 13, and someone's wife applied May 18 and was approved a week later. That is it, no approvals in the last 2 months regardless of application date?
Looks like that's the case.

Mind you that forums can sometimes give you a biased impression.
Those who have been stuck at "Pending Review" for weeks are much more likely to lurk or post here than those who have been approved quickly.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
Applied July 15th for NEXUS. Hoping I get conditionally approved by Mid August but I won't hold my breath after reading the last 10 pages. I'll probrably just get a Passport for my road trip next month.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by manohman
Applied July 15th for NEXUS. Hoping I get conditionally approved by Mid August but I won't hold my breath after reading the last 10 pages. I'll probrably just get a Passport for my road trip next month.
Welcome to FT. If you are getting a new U.S. passport, you should apply immediately. Mail in turn around time is at least 6 weeks or longer unless you do a walk in at a passport agency.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:35 pm

Welcome to FT. If you are getting a new U.S. passport, you should apply immediately. Mail in turn around time is at least 6 weeks or longer unless you do a walk in at a passport agency.
We recently applied for a new passport for my kid with expedited service($80 extra with overnight delivery), and got it in 7 days. (It was processed at Charleston, SC).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by sai13
We recently applied for a new passport for my kid with expedited service($80 extra with overnight delivery), and got it in 7 days. (It was processed at Charleston, SC).
Thanks. That is good to know.

Personally I would not count on a 7 day turn around because too many things can delay the process. I would be more comfortable with a walk in at a US Passport Agency, if there is one near you.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sai13
Take it for what it is worth, I applied/renew minor on JULY 9 with no extra services. Received new passport in 10 business days (JULY 22). Pretty impressive turnaround.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: National EE, Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, NEXUS
I'm Canadian. Mail in turnaround is 4 weeks but there's no point mailing here unless you live out in the sticks. At a Passport office, it's 10 days or quicker if you want to pay $50 bucks. There's a Passport office local to me.

I do have a question though, guys and girls, is there a point in getting global entry if have a NEXUS or is it redundant?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by manohman
I'm Canadian. Mail in turnaround is 4 weeks but there's no point mailing here unless you live out in the sticks. At a Passport office, it's 10 days or quicker if you want to pay $50 bucks. There's a Passport office local to me.

I do have a question though, guys and girls, is there a point in getting global entry if have a NEXUS or is it redundant?
Global Entry benefits are included in NEXUS for free at half of the price for now.

https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-comparison-chart
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:47 am

This turnaround time is a joke. I applied on April 10th and was conditionally approved on April 29th. My gf applied on May 26th and so far nothing. Exactly 2 months later. I was hoping that she'd be able to get an interview before she has to go back to teach in September but that probably won't happen at this rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.